GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hit the road running on Monday the 26th day of August. I was headed to the roads in WV. I like the best. Route 20, and route 60. I have a destination in mind, but the ride is what I came for. Well I was not disappointed, the temp was just right, the roads were awesome tree covered, twistiest. With a scenic view. To my surprise, the destination was good too. Babcock State Park where I spent the first night, was to say the least beautiful.

When I left there, I headed across route 55 to28 north. The road was very scenic, some sweepers not much. I traveled at 45mph in a 55mph zone and no one came up on me . I did catch a guy traveling at 40mph. Why the view was outstanding.Off 28 was Cass RR state park. I am planing a trip there Friday.

Then up 28 to another part of 55 to 32. 32 took me to Blackwater Falls State Park.

Where I spent the night.

When I left I took route 72 along the Cheat River. I took pictures, but they did not turn out so good. Great ride though. From There home.
I had a great time at two nice parks in WV. Can't wait to go again.
Don't forget if you see me out there say HI.
God Bless

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Really good pics moodygne! glad you had a great trip!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
nice

Gary,

You need to change your screen name. Vagabond would be appropriate, although you would want to change it to ruggedly handsome vagabond, I'm sure. I'm considering a trip to that neck of the woods in Oct. Want to get together and you can show me some roads?

Richard

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ok I'am a little confused. I think your retirement calender is a little off.
The 26th of Aug. was a friday. Unless you left this past monday then it was Aug. 29:joke::joke:

My dad has the same problem.

Great PICS .... Just a little jelous;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Nice pictures. Glad you had a good trip. When I see these posts of people taking trips and what-not, I just start getting anxious for another trip. But, alas, I get a kick out of reading your post and seeing the pics. Good job.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I'll be on the lookout for ya. A Black Trike with a Wheelchair is said to be wondering around down that way this weekend. It will have the "Simply Handsome, but Short" rider on it.;):thumbup:

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'll be on the lookout for ya. A Black Trike with a Wheelchair is said to be wondering around down that way this weekend. It will have the "Simply Handsome, but Short" rider on it.;):thumbup:
Jim:

That's not what Nancy called you when we were in Tennessee. Your taller and better looking twin.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Jim:

That's not what Nancy called you when we were in Tennessee. Your taller and better looking twin.
;):22yikes::eek:4:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Nice pictures. Isn't that the Cog railroad ?? Did you ride it. If it's the one I think it's really neat. You should ride from there up the back way to the ski lodge up at the top of the mountain. Really nice !! I had a charter up there a few years ago and drove a bus down and then back up the mountain on that road with snow on the ground!!!

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Where is that train depot located ?? I'd like to see it when in the area....
The Cass Scenic RailRoad is located in Cass, WV on Rt. 66. You can access Rt.66 from US-219 to the west or from Rt. 28/92 to the east.

It is not a "Cog" Railroad but instead the train is pulled or pushed by Shea locomotives. These locomotives have coal-fired engine's pistons on the side of the vehicle that turn drive shafts on the outside of the wheel/axles. Pretty cool to look at in motion.

The Railroad was originally built as a logging railroad to bring out trees down the mountain, which incidentally is the second highest mountain peak in West Virginia.

Motorcyclists visiting this area will find roads that we strive so hard to find, and are so blessed when we do find them. Kinda makes me jealous of the board members that have these roads in their back yards.

If you plan on visiting the Cass Scenic Railroad and take the train ride, may I suggest that you sit in the furthest car from the locomotive. It being a coal-fired locomotive, you'll be full of ambers if you sit anywhere closer. Oh, and yeah, clean your seat and don't wear anything white.

PS: make sure that you stop by the museum for a first look at the railroad's history.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gary,

You need to change your screen name. Vagabond would be appropriate, although you would want to change it to ruggedly handsome vagabond, I'm sure. I'm considering a trip to that neck of the woods in Oct. Want to get together and you can show me some roads?

Richard
Yes Richard, I would like to get together, You know I don't get out much. Let me know in advance. Ruggedly handsome Gypsy (MAYBE). I am living the dream loving every minute of it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'am a little confused. I think your retirement calender is a little off.
The 26th of Aug. was a friday. Unless you left this past monday then it was Aug. 29:joke::joke:

My dad has the same problem.

Great PICS .... Just a little jelous;)
Sorry, you are right, it was Monday the 29.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where is that train depot located ?? I'd like to see it when in the area....
Cass RR is on route 66. in between 219 and route 28. Cass RR is a State Park In WV.I am headed there tomorrow THE 2nd DAY OF SEPT. My wife is on vac. then. We are going to ride the 4 1/2 hr trip that starts at noon.I will take pictures and post in a few days.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will keep an eye out for you. I am the Ruggedly handsome one on a red Gold Wing.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot. On the way up route 28 from Cass RR., I encountered a ROCK.
Seneca Rock. At the intersection of 28 and 55. I should have put it in the first post.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
meet

Gary and Jim,

If you two have never before met, then I highly recomend that you do. Wish I could be there. I know that I would be speechless. Seriously, the 2 of you should have the experience.

Richard

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great pics, glad to see you are enjoying yourself out on the road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts