GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife are taking a spur of the moment trip to Ruidoso and Cloud Croft area next week. We have been there quite a few times and know about most of the big popular spots and places to stay. Any you folks know about any secret, nice, clean mostly, places to hang a hat and hang out? Trailering the bike, taking the golf sticks and just winging it! thanks Bred Box

·
Registered
889 Posts
My wife and I have stayed twice at a place called "Shadow Mountain Lodge" in the upper canyon in Ruidoso. It is a 'couples only' place, no pets and no smoking. There are rooms along a neat covered porch as well as four cabins available there. We've stayed in each ... we find the rooms to be excellent and slightly cheaper than the cabins, but the cabins are very nice! It is a quiet beautiful setting and we enjoyed ourselves there very much.

The only caveat is that the original owners have (or were supposed to have) sold the place to new owners last fall. We have not stayed there since that time, so don't know about the new owners. We intend to stay there again in time, and hope the new owners maintain the same level of service, cleanliness, and beauty as did the original owners.

There are cheaper places in town, and much more expensive places as well. But for a neat nice quiet convenient place to stay, we think this one is (was) very nice. Like I said, we've not experienced the new owners, if the sale was consumated. I do know that the original owners were very interested in finding new owners who would maintain the place as it had been kept by themselves. Here is a link to the place:

http://www.smlruidoso.com/

Hope you guys have a great trip and a good stay. We hear the temps have been much cooler there than around the rest of SE and Southern NM. It's been an oven here on the east side!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
My wife and I have gone skiing there a couple of times. We love it there. We usually just stay in one of the cabins near town. You can find some pretty good rates. Usually, I don't think you are going to have any issues with people bothering you as it seems everyone stays to themselves.

Have fun.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I used to spend a lot of time at White Sands. We always went to Cloudcroft when we had a chance. This was in the late 1980s to the mid 1990s.

We ALWAYS ate at the 'Old Main Lodge,' now called 'The Lodge Resort and Spa.' Great food.

The wife and I spent some vacation time there in the 1990s. Loved it. It has a lot of history.

Check them out. They also have a golf course.

http://www.thelodgeresort.com/

Regards,
Joe T.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts