GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many riders on this board are planning on going to Ruidoso for the Aspencash rally this coming weekend.
thomas

·
Registered
343 Posts
Let's see riding around the flat lands of Amarillo or the Capitan Mountians of New Mexico, eating ice cream at DQ or sitting around the camp drinking cold beer after a day of riding - I'll be in Ruidoso.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It ain't like it will be all that crowded unless you plan to spend the night. You can still get around just fine. :thumbup:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
It ain't like it will be all that crowded unless you plan to spend the night. You can still get around just fine. :thumbup:
I made the mistake of trying to get a hotel and staying in Taos NM during the "Red River Run" weekend, and I swore never to do that again. What a mess.

Thanks, but I will be going around Ruidoso.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I made the mistake of trying to get a hotel and staying in Taos NM during the "Red River Run" weekend, and I swore never to do that again. What a mess.

Thanks, but I will be going around Ruidoso.
Taos is gridlock on almost any day of the year. Not unlike Branson.

Even though I'm down in northern NM a lot, I hardly ever ride through Taos. It's a shame, too, as it's a pretty cool town.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to Ruidoso Weekend of the Spring rally. Looks like the attendance was down. Don't know whether it was the eco. or the time of year . Looked like there was a lot of empty motel rooms and not a lot of bike running up and down the streets. Still enjoyed it. As far Taos , I think it is a crap shoot to ride in the Taos or Red River area and expect to get a motel room with out Rev.and I have never been through Taos that it was not crowed .
thomas

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was there for the weekend and on my way home I saw a lot of motorcycles being trailed up there.
First time in Ruidoso and it absolutely beautiful up there. The only problem was going up and back from Laredo. Averaged around 103 plus degrees but once you got there the temp drop. Especially at the Apache Ski Lodge (not sure what they call that mountain) at 10,000 ft it got down to 57.

The ride up was just as much fun as the ride down.

10,000 feet up on top of the world

·
Registered
343 Posts
SMC,

I make the Ruidoso/Cloudcroft circle several times a year. Let me know the next time you head this way.

Tony

·
Registered
481 Posts
Roadrunner, will do. :yes1:
Thanks for the heads up on what roads to ride. I did the run from Cloudcroft to the tunnel and dbl back up to Sunspot and then down to Weed, Pinon and Dunken. One of my favorite ones was from Ruidoso US-70 to 244 down to Cloudcroft.

Other side of Tunnel from Cloudcroft

Sunspot view

·
Registered
125 Posts
Last time I attended it was called "Aspencade", and it was the tenth
anniversary (1980). Went on a Kawasaki KZ750 twin. Beautiful area,
but a bit far from here. Maybe when I'm retired, I'll visit again.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Rally in the Spring is called Aspencash. The one in the fall is call Aspencade and the biggest of the two rallies
thomas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts