GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a rumble when turning left at low speed. Turning right is quiet. Any ideas? I’m thinking tires but I can’t help but wonder if it is something else. I can’t really tell if it is from the front or rear.

My bike is a 2008 with 14,200 miles. I have E3’s on it that have 5000 miles. They look pretty good.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
E3s get noisy at the 5,000 mile mark. Will only get worse until you can't stand them and install new.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E3s get noisy at the 5,000 mile mark. Will only get worse until you can't stand them and install new.

Sent from iPhone
That's what I was thinking. What confused me a bit is why only left. Maybe that's just the way it is. I was just hoping it isn't a bearing somewhere.

·
Chard Member
12,974 Posts
That's what I was thinking. What confused me a bit is why only left. Maybe that's just the way it is. I was just hoping it isn't a bearing somewhere.
Just wait. It will start singing left right and in a straight line. Miserable tire in my opinion. I wouldn't mount them again if they were free! :-(

Sent from iPhone

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Agreed...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, They will be gone soon.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Hahahaha!

I saw the thread title and the first thing that crossed my mind was

"I bet he has E3s!".

i got over 15k miles out of my only set of E3s.
Trust us - the 'rumble' will become a 'roar'.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

Sent from iPhone
My E3's don't.
Up your pressure on the next set.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
There are many people who swear by E3's, others that swear at them. For me, let's just say I don't use them.

Rumble while turning left is because the left side gets more side scrubbing action than the right side. When you make a left turn vs a right turn from a stop sign you travel farther doing the left turn, more lean time on the left turn, and apply more power longer while in the turn going left. Therefore, more pronounced wear on left side vs. right. Opposite over in the right-hand drive countries.

And as was stated, your tire will start singing no matter what you are doing. As an observation - using dynabeads has been noted to help reduce the problem. And so has using different tires than the E3's.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are my first E3's. It came with 250's. Didn't like them. My ears are shot so I feel this more than hear it at this point in time. When it starts to bother me I'll replace them. I'm thinking I may try the Bridgestones. What kind of life are you guys getting on those. I suppose I could search too, there are probably more tire threads than oil threads.:)

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Every set of Dunlops or Bridgestones that I have put on my bike sing after about 5,000 miles. The Bridgestones just aren't quite as loud.

Some people say they don't have the problem, but it isn't caused by anything you are doing wrong. Riding style, type of roads, freeway vs local roads, etc. will all be different for everyone.

You say the tires look good, but if you get down on the ground and look closely at those back tires and feel the tread, you will notice that the edges of the sipes are feathering. I actually take a Dremel with a drum sander and grind them down when the feathering gets bad enough.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Stanley Surfoam plane with the face reversed. Bike on it's centerstand, 3rd gear, with wheel spinning. Plane off the high spots while lying low with the plane. It will fly rear ward if not held tightly. Disclaimer: Done by professional in a controlled enviroment under adult supervision. Results may vary! :eek:4:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Someone PM's me, I would give him credit but I'm not sure if I should since it was a PM. He suggested 42F and 44R for tire PSI. I have been running 34F and 42R. I changed the inflation today to 42 and 44 and the noise is gone. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts