GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions here. I recently purchased a new Shoei Multitech helmet. I ride with the face shield up. I have a Tulsa standard height windshield on the bike and I'm 6'2" tall. When riding at speeds over about 40 mph, I get a fairly loud low frequency rumbling sound coming from the helmet. It goes away when I close the face shield. It's worse with the top air vent open, but still there, and annoying with the vent closed. If I place my hand, vertically on top of the windshield, the noise pretty much disappears. I suspect that a taller windshield is the (most expensive) cure, but I'm wondering if any of you who have a Shoei Multitech helmet experience the same thing and if there is anything that can be done. And please don't suggest I buy another, different helmet. Thanks.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't have the multitech, but do have the RF700 and it does the same thing...I believe it to be the plastic visor being buffeted by the wind. Because it is generally hot here in S. Florida, I find myself opening the face shield some when riding at slower speeds and fully closing at higher speeds. Thought all helmets did that some.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The rumbliing noise inside the helmet could be accentuated by road noise coming up thru the triple tree tower. When you put your hand up on the top of the windshield, it's breaking the path of the sound waves eminating up to your helmet..

I had an old Fulmer full face helmet that did the same thing on my GL1200.. Seems there isn't enough sound insulation in some helmets.

Those sound waves have no place else to go inside a full face except into your skull... perhaps you can borrow a friends 1/2 or 3/4 helmet and go for a ride.. Test for any differences..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts