GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking here for some months, having bought a 2018 Gold Wing/air bag in June last year. I traded in a CTX 1300, which I enjoyed for three years, but I wanted the Gold Wing experience. Originally, I wanted the basic Gold Wing because of the price and because I preferred the more streamlined look without the top case. But there were no luggage tie-downs, and the top case was practical, so I gradually worked up to the most expensive bike in the showroom. I have not been disappointed, although over the last year I have viewed with trepidation all the comments about how things have gone wrong with the new Gold Wings.

My own experience includes about 22,000 km (c. 13,700 miles), and I have recently returned from a 5,000 km (c. 3,000 miles) trip from British Columbia to Nevada. Aside from a somewhat fiddly and unreliable navigation system, the bike performed well (take paper maps and know the route before setting out). I have had little experience with navigation systems and came to the Honda version with low expectations. The GPS, however, was useful in directing me to motels.

Despite a smaller gas tank, my range was around 450-500 km, and I stop every couple of hours anyway for a break. Being a solo rider, I had no need of additional storage. The bike handled well in strong winds in the high, hilly country of s.e. Oregon, although I myself was pummelled by wind gusts. Raising the windshield helped a little with the buffeting (usually all the way down; I am 5 ft/10 in), and cruise control allowed me to relax the death grip on the throttle. I had never thought cruise control on a motorcycle made any sense, so this was a learning experience. The bike itself felt solid and tracked well.

I ride the DCT in automatic-tour mode, occasionally shifting down manually at stop lights. Downshifts are a little jerky, despite two DCT initializations, but never more than a mild annoyance. I like the idle stop on the Canadian model and wish Honda had not augmented the exhaust sound on the 2018 versions. Once the bike is underway, however, I hardly notice engine noise (I wear ear plugs). At stops, however, I can still hear the Harleys next to me, their expostulations sounding like wet farts, while my bike is silent and rather better mannered.

I did have to replace the front tire at 20,000 km (c. 12,500 miles) after having been told before setting out on the trip that I had 70 percent tread left. There was just slightly more than 1.5 mm tread left when I replaced the tire, and since I expected rain, I thought it prudent to replace the tire to reduce the risk of hydroplaning.

Before I purchased the 2018 Gold Wing I researched widely and read every review I could find on touring bikes, including high-end bikes such as BMW. I continue to believe that I made an excellent choice and, as far as I am concerned, feel there is little to complain about. I am sorry that a few others have not had my own experience, and I empathize with their frustration.

The picture shows my Gold Wing parked on Highway 50 (first transcontinental highway in America, 1913) in Eureka, Nevada.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Congratulations pretty bike!!!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Hello from Alberta, neighbour.

Nice commentary, and nice photo.

I especially liked your comment on Nevada Highway 50, being the oldest trans-continental highway in America. Many people don't know The Lincoln Highway (which Nevada 50 is part of) pre-dates the famous and better known Route 66.

I'm impressed with your gas mileage and look forward to putting some big touring miles on my recently acquired '19 DCT Tour Wing if the darn rain would stop.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Congrats on the new ride, ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :grin2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts