GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been gone for a while but I've heard that Champion has decided for "economic survival" to bring out an IRS designed trike. Anyone else got the scoop on this and any details of the design? I find it very curious that after they bad mouthed the CSC COBRA design:wrong:, and touted their RA design, that they would "jump ship"
Mike

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Been gone for a while but I've heard that Champion has decided for "economic survival" to bring out an IRS designed trike. Anyone else got the scoop on this and any details of the design? I find it very curious that after they bad mouthed the CSC COBRA design:wrong:, and touted their RA design, that they would "jump ship"
Mike
It seems I spoke a few hours too soon Mike. I just received word from Champion that indeed the new IRS 1800 and FLH Trike kits will be available in early March. Pre-orders have already started to pour in. The new suspension option is an addition to the line up of already successful kits Champion offers. I don't know if I would characterize it as economic survival as Champion had a very good 2008. Innovation and the ever changing technology of Trikes is something that we as Trikers should applaude and be happy about. Heck if you notice except for a sound system, heated hand and rear end warmers and GPS Goldwings have been the same thing for 9+ years.

I haven't seen the new IRS from Champion yet but if it's engineered like everything else they've produced it will be great! When anyone asks me which Trike I think is best I tell them to look at the list on my web site those seven are the best, just pick the one YOU like and go for a nice long ride..................

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I would think that the IRS trikes will be the best sellers....most triker riders ( I said most now) are looking for a comfortable ride vs a canyon carver....so the IRS trike should give more of a "comfortable" ride....but the price of IRS will be higher, so many will opt for the solid design....all of them are good.....just personal choice.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think us babyboomers, who started the trike craze, are now purchasing IRS trikes over RA trikes because of the ride, either as first ones or subsequent ones. Until recently most of us had the money difference. With 3 already established IRS trikes in the marketplace, it'll be interesting to see how a new entry fares.
Mike

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hopefully there will be some pictures available soon for us to see. I'm curious as to how it will be engineered as compared to the other trike kits.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I think us babyboomers, who started the trike craze, are now purchasing IRS trikes over RA trikes because of the ride, either as first ones or subsequent ones. Until recently most of us had the money difference. With 3 already established IRS trikes in the marketplace, it'll be interesting to see how a new entry fares.
Mike
Three (3), "...already established IRS trikes in the marketplace, ..."? I count at least 4 IRS equipped trikes currently available; DFT, Hannigan, Roadsmith and California Sidecar.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lone Star is right, Champion is having an IRS kit for the GL1800 starting in late March / early April, with an IRS FLH kit coming soon afterward. They will continue to offer the existing SA kit. I already have 2 of the 1800 kits booked for early April to see how it goes together and how it rides. Have seen pictures of the suspension on the 1800 frame, Champion did a heck of a job designing and building this kit, from what we've seen it should be one of the best on the market, and the price point is dead on competitive with the other IRS kits. A bit disappointed that they didn't redesign the body or anything to make it look different than the existing kit though. We'll have to see how it rides when it's all together, but it should be great.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Champion is having an IRS kit for the GL1800 starting in late March / early April, with an IRS FLH kit coming soon afterward. They will continue to offer the existing SA kit. I already have 2 of the 1800 kits booked for early April to see how it goes together and how it rides. Have seen pictures of the suspension on the 1800 frame, Champion did a heck of a job designing and building this kit, from what we've seen it should be one of the best on the market, and the price point is dead on competitive with the other IRS kits. A bit disappointed that they didn't redesign the body or anything to make it look different than the existing kit though. We'll have to see how it rides when it's all together, but it should be great.
Shaun,
Will I be able to up grade my present Champion SRS (solid rear suspension) to the new IRS? Very interested, let me know.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
CaptDenny

From the photos that I saw it is a slightly little differnt mounting!!! So I would think it would be a complete kit change, Dont know for sure though. An intresting design too with a split rearend, part machined alum, and part what ever they are useing normaly, deffinatley beefie.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
CaptDenny

From the photos that I saw it is a slightly little differnt mounting!!! So I would think it would be a complete kit change, Dont know for sure though. An intresting design too with a split rearend, part machined alum, and part what ever they are useing normaly, deffinatley beefie.
Thanks for the info.

I sent an email earlier to Shaun of Trike Traders to get his input since he's my builder and since he also mentioned that the body looked the same as the SRS body did.

Shuan wrote: "A bit disappointed that they didn't redesign the body or anything to make it look different than the existing kit though".

One can hope. :lol:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I sent an email earlier to Shaun of Trike Traders to get his input since he's my builder and since he also mentioned that the body looked the same as the SRS body did.

Shuan wrote: "A bit disappointed that they didn't redesign the body or anything to make it look different than the existing kit though".

One can hope. :lol:
I had a 2009 triked in Dec 08. If I can get the new IRS with my trike body, I might trike a trike. I like the body style of Champion. Does that sound right? Well you know what I mean. People that are in the know about this, would you post if this can be done. Guess I could sell and trike another one. May need to take my for sale sign, with me to Kerrville,Tx. and Rogers,Ar. JoeA

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Shaun,
Will I be able to up grade my present Champion SRS (solid rear suspension) to the new IRS? Very interested, let me know.
Here's an email I got back from Shaun from Trike Traders:

Dennis, I was actually wondering the same thing. I have a message into my rep at Champion to see if it is possible, and if they'd thought about selling a special 'IRS upgrade' kit for those like yourself that may want to switch over. When I get an answer out of them, I'll be sure to let you know.

Shaun
Trike Traders

1 - 13 of 13 Posts