GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had both a Michelin Alpin Primacy run flat (zp) and the non run flat version on their bike? I would like to know if there is a harshness or stiffness to the run flat version. Can you tell the difference between the two? Would you recommend one over the other? I like the idea of the run flat but am worried about a hard ride. Opinions anyone?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Has anyone had both a Michelin Alpin Primacy run flat (zp) and the non run flat version on their bike? I would like to know if there is a harshness or stiffness to the run flat version. Can you tell the difference between the two? Would you recommend one over the other? I like the idea of the run flat but am worried about a hard ride. Opinions anyone?
I ran a Kumho run flat for almost 20,000 miles at 30 psi and the ride was much softer than the motorcycle tire at 41 psi.

Many riders comment that their wives immediately comment about how soft the ride is after installing a run flat tire.

I now have the Michelin Summer run flat tire and run it at 28 psi for a very soft ride.

I do a lot of long distance riding and feel more confident that there will not be a problem with a flat tire while on the superslab.

gramps

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,944 Posts
Sorry but I have only ran the Primacy Alpin ZP. It is defiantly a softer ride than a MT. I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I run the Kumho and the Alpin RF's, haven't done the NRF's because I like the softer ride and the safety factor. Now as I recall, Murgie likes the NRF because of the more MC like handling due to the higher pressure it uses.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. Overall - the safety factor of the run flat is the biggest draw for me.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I'm on my 3rd run flat tire-- each a different brand. They are all softer riding than a regular mc rear tire is. I run 32-35 psi in mine.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Run flat tire is definitely softer on the highway. I run mine at 28 for even tread wear. 28 beats 41 for a smooth ride. I do air it up in the twisties.

If you are fast, real fast, you will like the Falken more than the Alpin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still trying to decide which way to go too. Has anyone experienced rapid air lose in a NRF tire? Thinking of trying CT but don't want to spend $ for a RF in case I don't like it. Yeah wife thinks I'm cheap too.

Emmett Hood
Seminole, FL
2010 Bagger

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Does anybody live close enough to let him try one out for a couple hours?

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
go with rf

Still trying to decide which way to go too. Has anyone experienced rapid air lose in a NRF tire? Thinking of trying CT but don't want to spend $ for a RF in case I don't like it. Yeah wife thinks I'm cheap too.

Emmett Hood
Seminole, FL
2010 Bagger

Personal opinion - go with the rf. Especially if wife will be riding with you. Increased safety and won't get stranded due to a flat. If you don't like it, there are several members who will buy it from you. But I guarantee you will like it.

Also, I am sure if you ask - several members will loan you a wheel and rim to try it out. I've loaned my spare out before for someone to try before buying.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I called Sam's club and ordered a RF. Now all's I have to do is find someone around Indy that will mount it
. I bet that will be interesting.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you can get the old tire off, SAMs will mount it, tell them it is off a custom trailer on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If you can get the old tire off, SAMs will mount it, tell them it is off a custom trailer on the passenger side.
You sure? Thought it should be the left (driver's) side.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Just to add to this idea, take the rim to a bike shop and have them remove the old bike tire. Offer them a chance to mount the CT and if not, go to SAMs and let them mount the 'special trailer' rim for you. Other places to try are the mom and pop auto tire dealers, custom rim dealers, Walmart, independent bike shops. Run Flats are tough to mount and to ensure your rim doesn't get marred up, have them clamp on the outside of the rim.

Good luck!

·
Registered
401 Posts
GWRRA - they can do EVERTHING!

Check out the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA). Here in Colorado Springs, I got excellent advise and they helped mount the car tire (YO! Don and Darrel). An added benefit was they took the old tire (they sell them) - so I was just wow'd!!!!

Now for the original question, RF or not - I am not why you would not add RF given the same tire. When I looked at my first DS tire, I only looked at RF. Why are you considering NRF?
...gene

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
It will not be a harsh ride compressor to a bike tire . A NRF will get ya into a lot of trouble if you have an instant loss of air . They are a handful and 3/4 when there's no air in them . Some can never tell the difference between the two . So with that said if harshness is only concise ration , do yourself a favor and be completely safe with a RF .

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I run an Alpin RF at 27-29 psi. That psi has worked excellent for my use.... Florida winters/Ontario Canada summers. I rode somewhere around 36,000(s)miles last year.:lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Took my CT to my local Wally World and they looked at my wheel and one guy told the other it was a trailer wheel. They looked at my new tire I wanted mounted and said that the tire wasn't a trailer tire and therefore they couldn't do. Fortunately I now have a mom-&-pop that does it for a couple of bucks more but probably does a better job.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Soon as I procure some 90* valve stems, and it warms up to a human tolerance level, I'm going to get it mounted. I went with the ZP, btw.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Soon as I procure some 90* valve stems, and it warms up to a human tolerance level, I'm going to get it mounted. I went with the ZP, btw.
ZP smart choice :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts