GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those who have been Darksider's for a while. I recently bought a CT and have been enjoying it now for about 2,000 miles. The tire I purchased is a Hankook Ventus, a NON-RF. I like the tire. It handles very well.

I intended to buy the Kumho RF, but was scared off by the language of the tire's specs... "Ecsta SPT tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." (source: Tirerack website)

Now, I have no intention of riding the bike when there is snow or ice on the ground, but I am not deterred by cold temperatures. I will go out in the 20's, if not for more than an hour or so. I looked at the specs for other RF tires, and they all read about the same. So I am thinking the rubber compounds used for these RF's might not do well in cold weather (?). Any guidance you could offer would be helpful. I sure would like for my next tire to be a RF if I believed them to be safe in cold weather.

Thanks,
Dave

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I think the rubber compound is made for the heat of the summer, which (to me) means the rubber is harder when it is below freezing. I have rode mine several times when the temps were in the lower teens and I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Question for those who have been Darksider's for a while. I recently bought a CT and have been enjoying it now for about 2,000 miles. The tire I purchased is a Hankook Ventus, a NON-RF. I like the tire. It handles very well.

I intended to buy the Kumho RF, but was scared off by the language of the tire's specs... "Ecsta SPT tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." (source: Tirerack website)

Now, I have no intention of riding the bike when there is snow or ice on the ground, but I am not deterred by cold temperatures. I will go out in the 20's, if not for more than an hour or so. I looked at the specs for other RF tires, and they all read about the same. So I am thinking the rubber compounds used for these RF's might not do well in cold weather (?). Any guidance you could offer would be helpful. I sure would like for my next tire to be a RF if I believed them to be safe in cold weather.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, the only thing I can tell you from personal experience, and riding here in VA/WV/MD area, is that the tire handles fine. Granted when I am cold I don't push the bike as hard as when it is warmer out, but that has more to do with me than the tire. As you know, the rubber on all tires (RF or NRF - moto tires too) hardens as the temp drops, and, if you ride in some of the temps Rail32 and those WI/MN boys ride in I would say a tire (any tire) would be significantly harder. Rail has mentioned less traction with the Kumho in WI winters, but he too doesn't hammer it as hard in the cold. I personally have not noticed any issues around here. Hope this is of some help. BTW, the Pirelli Eufori is a good tire too.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, there have been many I dare to say that have run one in cold temps with no problems. I just took the Hankook Ventus off and have run it in ice and snow conditions and it worked great. I am not saying stay with this tire or switch to a RF, just that it worked for me!:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I ride down to about 28 degrees on a rof tire and have never had any problems. Like most have said, I don't ride nearly as aggressively in the colder temps, or for nearly as long a ride as in warmer temps.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Pretty sure there is no danger with the Kumho or the Pirelli in cold weather.

But another choice for the cold specifically would be the Dunlop Wintersport in the 195 size. It is made specifically for snow and cold. And wears just fine in summer.

Not much difference in wear in the main tires used.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I have had no problem running the Kumho all winter.
I have even been caught in a snow storm and passed LOTS of cars when on the slab.
But I don't think that ANY tire will help when you are two wheels if you are on packed snow or ice which I am sure you already know.
You will not regret the Kumho under any conditions and to answer your question, it has terffic grip in the cold.
Paul

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all your responses. I should have asked that question before I decided on the Hankook Ventus. I think I will continue to ride this tire a few more thousand then switch to the Kumho RF.

I love all the great information here on this forum !

Dave

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Dave, can I come ride with you? I see you stop for BBQ!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
87 Posts

Thanks,
Dave

In general summer tires (all season) have a harder rubber compound and a higher milage rating than winter tires. The harder compound will generally have less grip on wet and cold surfaces. The pattern of the groves and stipping may also introduce variables to your choice. Winter tires are definitely better on ice and snow but you rarely ride a motorcycle in these conditions. High performance all season tires will probably give you the best overall, long life, wet & dry traction, until the road freezes.
All that said I like the Michelin PA3 ZP, it is a winter tire. Summers are short and relatively cool in Canada, I am not concerned with burning up my tires on 100F days.
There are lots of different choices, make a list of the things YOU think are important, put them in order of YOUR priorities, and find a tire that best matches those criteria. If your priorities change you can pick a different tire next time.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Best bet, IMO for year-round-hot and cold performance is a tire designed for Winter,

Thay start with more tread depth, have a slightly rounder profile and will not harden in cold temps. The Summer heat has no noticible effect on them.

Two come to mind: Dunlop Wintersport DSST and Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3. The tread designs are almost identical and both are the safer Run Flats. :thumbup:.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
standard warning for a non-winter tire

That is a standard warning for a non-winter tire. Summer tires perform pretty poorly in snow and ice, and "All-Season" are slightly better. I posted a review regarding this sometime back. Summer tires are good with heat, rain, cornering and stopping, but kind of suck with snow and ice.

So the tire companies put the standard warning on their non-winter tires to help with the legal leeches.

Now if you want to ride your wing in snow, you might want to try a studded snow tire and a good medical policy to go with it. But for the rest of the time, wouldn't worry about it. I run a Kumho run-flat, love it.

Here's some info regarding winter/summer tire testing. http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=48&tab=winter

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, can I come ride with you? I see you stop for BBQ!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Memphis, Texas, or Carolina style... It's all good !

Being from Pennsylvania originally, I thought BBQ was anything grilled on the charcoal grill. Then, while in the Air Force stationed in Florida (early '70's), I had my first taste of hickory smoked BBQ... pulled pork sandwich. I went back the next day for ribs ! I have been a BBQ fan since.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts