GL1800Riders Forums banner

Flat tires on the bike while riding out of town. Indicate in text if a call for help was required.

• None ever

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only one

• 2 to 5

• 6 to 10

• Over 10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly what Dunlop intended, but I did it again.

Sheila met us all at Bandera for our Sunday Monring Breakfast at the OST yesterday after riding 200 miles in from Sealy. She got there around 8 am.

We met at Stewarts later and then went for a ride. My bike felt like it wanted to oversteer on sharp turns and when we met Mark at the service station, I asked him if the front tire looked ok, and he said it did.

I led us on a route north through the hills on back roads that had some nice twisties and we took a leisurly pace, lots of cattle guards and hard turns on very narrow roads.

After a while, Mark said we had done 50 miles and he wanted to get back before dark and so Sheila and I went on but I became suspicious of the bike's wanting to over steer on hard low speed turns. As it was very near sun down, I stopped and told Sheila I wanted to check the back tire.

It was obviusly the culprit and Sheila watched as I moved the bike to access the valve. The gage showed no air. The road was high crowned and narrow and we were just over a hill, so I rode until there was a place not so unlevel where any car coming would see us in plenty of time.

We hooked the air hose up to the my Tailwind and pumped the tire up. Shiela heard it hissing and found the nail, so I pulled it and plugged the tire and aired it up.

I had ridden the bike with the rear tire flat for quite a while, but at speed generally below 60. The tire was only slightly warm. It has 13,000 miles on it but the tread looks still new. As I have said before, it will be hard to get me to move away from the E3 70 tire. In addition to the 13,000 miles, it has at least 50 miles of running flat while pulling a trailer, and probably more like a hundred, since it had that feeling before going to Stewarts.

The nail had been wiggled by running on it flat and the hole was easy to ream out. The nail was a 16 penny casing nail and was about to fall out.

Now I wish that I had a spare wheel because I want to run this tire until it is worn out, but would like to have an undamaged tire for out of town trips.

Since I already know what it feels like with no air, it is not much of a worry to have the repair fail, if it is local.

As a side note, Sheila said yesterday that at first she wondered why we put such a fancy air system in the Tailwind, but after my experience of flats on the road, she now knows.

Actually, we aired up a Harley rear tire at the OST Sunday before last with my trailer air system.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Hi Tom,

I did have a situation of running an E3 with no air as I would not believe the gauge. I did not do it much but went out and came back and still no air as per the gauge. It has one tough side wall on the E'3's.

On a differant note has Sheila cracked the big mark or is she keeping it a secret?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
to late now but i am surprized u didn't check the air the first time u stopped and complained about handling problems, u really can't tell much by just looking at them, sorry but i think that tire belongs in the trash now, this is a case where some of that Ride On type product probably would have saved the tire

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cycle dude.

We all have 20/20 hind sight. However, you would have to experience the way this tire behaves when flat to know how little it changes.

I had just hauled some parts over to Stewarts house and unloaded the front of the trailer, so I though I might just have to redo the load somewhere along the ride.

As you may have read on a post some time ago, I rode the bike 15 miles to my house with the front E3 dead flat and the stem broken without knowing what made the ABS light come on. It was the tire running at higher revs due to it running flat. Of course, I was pulling the trailer then as always. I was just below 100 mph when the tire valve failed and the ABS light came on. Still there was only a slight indication of the bike feeling a tiny bit different.

I want to run the rear tire out because I want to see how this all affected it for future knowledge. I would like to put the new E3 70 on that I have in the garage for trips and use this tire locally in case it won't make it or the patch fails when I patch it. Right now it has the plug in it that I did on that narrow country road last evening in the cold.

Since the tire did not get hot, I don't expect it was damaged. I did notice that my fuel mileage had dropped off, but only slightly.

Contrast this with the Avon venom 70 I tried a couple years ago that felt horrible with 42 psi in it.

This is the second rear E3 rear tire that I have run flat for quite a distance pulling the trailer without knowing I was riding on a flat.

When I think about Sheila's tire problem in Montana last year that caused her to be towed for 90 miles, there is quite a difference in the outcome here.

jwen, I will mention to Sheila about your curiosity, but I think she may prefer to wait. She has until March 9th.

Her Tailwind is finally in repair after the insurance company for the guy that hit her held off for so long. Hopefully she will have it in a few days.

·
Road Warrior
1,322 Posts
I hit the 90,000 mile mark yesterday :) Once I hit the 100 I will stop posting numbers until March 9th at the IBA dinner in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Not trying to Hi Jack Tom's thread but Sheila I just have to offer my well wishes.

Keep it up and continued good fortune.

Thank's Tom for letting me but in and I am looking forward to meeting you at the Texas get together in March.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plug seems to be fine. Put about 120 miles on it today around town and the outlying area. The tire feels the same as always. Did not go over 80 today.

I need to by a rear wheel so I can trade off. Anyone in the San Antonio that triked their 1800, and would want to sell their wheel?

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Have never asked for help; but did have a flat rear tire on the BRP. GOt suspicious of funky ride and checked tires, digital gague read 58 and tire fielt hot. BORP speed limit is only 45, so I was puzzled as to why tire was so warm and pressure so high. After over 100 miles I just had to check it again and tire was too hot to touch and pressure read 55 -- what he H377. My son, looking over my shoulder that time informed his bifocal deprived Dad that the gague was actually reading 5.5. Aired it up, found teh hole, plugged the hole and fiished the trip for over an addtional 1,000 miles, no problems. Avon Venom R 70 rear. The tire was cooked and I replaced it at home -- little balls of burned rubber inside of casing.

prs

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tom,

I met you as you were pulling in to a spot in the parking lot of Hampton Inn, Hendersonville, N.C. for the 2005 Wings over the Smokies, and you told me right up front that you had a tire failure coming from Texas!

How did your GL1800 handle on that incident compared to this most recent one??

By the way, thanks for this and all the other information you post; it is very helpful to know that a tire failure on two wheels can be manageable!

Jonar G., the original WHITEFANG

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
motorcyclemom40 said:
I hit the 90,000 mile mark yesterday :) Once I hit the 100 I will stop posting numbers until March 9th at the IBA dinner in Jacksonville.
Are you going for the record? What is it anyways (most miles traveled in a year?)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jonargreen,

That was the other incident I referred to in the above thread.

I had a new tire put on in Texarkana but had to have it rebalanced in Littlerock because it was not balanced or torqued properly in Texarkana.

As far as running flat, it was no big deal there either. I did not know it was flat and was running pretty hard to get to Texarkana before the rooms all filled up. That time, the tire was pretty hot and I had been running in the 80s.

It is really comforting to know that a flat will be manageable when it happens, and that if, as I am doing, a person decides to ride on a plugged tire and it later fails, it will probably be of no catastrophic consequence.

I have a new tire in the garage, but want to see how this plays out. This tire has about 14,000 on it and still looks new. I am sure I accelerated the wear during the time I was ridning on it flat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts