GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What psi are you running in your run-flat tire?

• less than 28 psi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 28-30 psi

• 30-32 psi

• 32-34 psi

• 34-36 psi

• 36-38 psi

• 38-40 psi

• 40+ psi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get an idea of the different pressures folks are running in their run-flat tires. Names of who voted will not be shown.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I'm sorry TravelinLite, I miss read your thread while watching a movie. Subtract one from the 40+ column!:oops::oops::oops:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
32 to 34 one up and two up!!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
41 psi

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I always found that 28 to 30 worked best from me. Higher pressures wore out the center quicker, 28 to 30 wore evenly across the tire. I average 25k on each of the 3 kumhos I have used. About ready for the 4th.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I explain air pressure to wanna be darksiders like this. In a run flat the tire is capable of running anywhere from roughly 10 psi to 50 psi. If you want even wear monitor tire closely, higher pressure will wear out center first ,unless you are hard on throttle in twisties . If you ride more sedately a lower pressure will serve you well . Weight on bike plays a part as to what pressure YOU need to run to get even wear along with how YOU ride. I always suggest around 32 psi and for me in 2 different run flats it was within 2psi for even wear with my weight and my riding style . Now non run flats is a whole different deal. PM me and I will explain it clearly or over phone is best 715-384-4192. Each person should develop what works for them and share that knowledge with fellow riders as it was done with me and it's highly appreciated even to this day :yes1: Great poll by the way Richard :bow: but not to many bows my knees hurt from little pit bike crash Friday after work :oops:

·
Registered
57 Posts
O ya that was two up fully loaded.

·
Registered
939 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I was supposed to put air in it ? :shrug:

Now you tell me. :eek:4: (hehehehehe)

·
Registered
879 Posts
:22yikes:Komho 32-33, pirelli was 34-35. Front stone 39-41:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I carry a little more weight than some of you so, I use 32 lbs. Seems pretty good as far as ride is concerned and also the wear factor.... 12,000 (s)miles and still looks like new.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
I wanted to bump this to the top when i noticed your 41psi in a 175 series tire that is a ROF . How is the ride and is tire wearing in middle rapidly ?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I wanted to bump this to the top when i noticed your 41psi in a 175 series tire that is a ROF . How is the ride and is tire wearing in middle rapidly ?
Interesting to say the least!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I run 34 psi on my Pirelli. I'm getting even wear on the tire. So far, I'm very happy with choice.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
32 for me tried 34 and the rearend wanted to walk out on uneven pavement.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
> I arbitrarily chose 41 psi for my first CT/ROF, and found that the wear was perfect... I checked it at short distances after installation (using spray paint on tread), as well as when it finally wore out at 20k miles... the wear was perfectly Even across the full width.

> I have just installed my 2nd version of this same Dunlop Wintersport ROF, and am starting off again at the same 41psi. I will point out, however, that it "feels odd" at higher speeds so far... almost as if the cross-section is "too flat" and thereby in need of More Air so as to be more rounded; seems to follow small grooves worse than previous CT/ROF. I'm going to leave it be, for the time-being, and see if I just need to scrub the corners off more, to develop the same straight line stability that I had on the previous tire.

> The ride is great... very smooth; improved handling of large parallel ruts in the road (eg Less tendancy than cycle tire to be like a needle in a record groove); good cornering.

Notes:
1) Tire#1 was provided to me in Used-condition, with the edges slightly rounded; Tire#2 is brand new so far.
2) I am on a GL1500, which has a narrower rim than does the 1800's most of you are using... This might require a difference in our psi setup.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2000 miles and counting as a DS rider

Based on the various threads when I converted to the Dark Side I went with a Kumbo with 3 oz beads and 34 psi. Will watch my wear and lower if the center looks like it is wearing out before the sides.
Will know much more as have a planned trip from Charlotte NC to Alamosa CO and back in early Sept. 3350 miles in 5 days if all works as planned.:lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts