GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite a bit of heated discussion on this topic lately and after using both kinds of tires I think it is silly because it is like comparing apples to oranges, they are both good but they are completely different.

My run flat tire stuck to the road quite well, it wore evenly, and if I ran over a police spike strip, or something equally nasty, with the extra stiff sidewalls and tread I could still ride for a while, at lower speeds of course, in complete control because the tire still holds the bike up. I have a TPMS system like you are supposed to use with a run flat too so if something happens I know right away. All good things.

My run flat tire was also 25% heavier than the bike was designed for and I could feel this in the seat of my pants as Rocky calls it. It also wanted to stand up the bike in turns because the tire is so stiff it barely flexes at all, this causes the center of the tread to lift off of the road which in effect lifts the bike up in the back. Gravity tries to pull the bike back down which causes the bike to want to stand back up. Also with a very stiff tire rolling over uneven pavement with just the edge of your tire tries to make the bike turn because gravity pulls the center down again. The tire being stiffer also ran hotter (according to the TPMS) and wore out faster (gone in 8000 miles). The bike also seemed to transition slower from side to side, not much, but it was noticeable. Lastly my gas mileage dropped too. This is what I did not like about my runflat.

The non runflat Low Rolling Resistance tire I am using now is as far from a runflat as you can get. It rides very soft, it weighs the same as the MC tire, my gas mileage is back up to the same or a little better than a MC tire, it does not try to stand up in a turn because the tread flexes and keeps over half of the tire on the ground even in a turn. Because the center of the tread does not lift the bike does not try to straighten up in turns. When I run over uneven pavement the tire flexes instead of trying to push the bike sideways into a turn. The tire runs cooler, usually even cooler than my front tire. I am at 8000 miles and I have at least a third of my tread left so it wears longer too. This is what I like about my LRR non runflat tire.

Will it hold the bike up with no air in it? Heck no, not a chance. But my stock motorcycle tire would not hold my bike up without air either. That is about the only disadvantage of a LRR non runflat.

I have not tried a regular non runflat non-LRR tire way over inflated (44 psi +) so I can not comment on that type of tire, I can only comment on what I have tried.

Lastly the one statement that everyone makes that "run flats are safer" is true 99% of the time but there is that 1%, (you know, the ones that they put "open product before use" on the label for) that will ride on their run flat with no air in it (and no TPMS) because "it looked full" until it explodes from the heat. Never underestimate stupidity.

If safety was my primary concern I would ride in a cage, with air bags and seat belts. If safety IS your primary concern I would say go with a run flat tire. If handling and ride IS your primary concern I would say go with a Low Rolling Resistance non runflat. Handling is MY primary concern, I work at a tire shop and 98.0% of the tires that come in flat just have a slow leak, the other 1.95% were destroyed by driving on them flat, and 0.05% had an actual blowout. I will take those odds. What YOU should do should be up to YOU, it doesn't need to turn into a pissing match between run flat tires and non run flat tires because they are totally different tires for totally different needs.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
jwolffie, well written. Thanks again.

I would like to suggest something to all seasoned DSers: don't tell anyone what to buy. Give them unbiased data (as you know it) and make them make a choice. You have to figure we have riding skills on here that vary from those of us that would struggle with a coin-operated dime store pony to those of us that can make the fat lady dance. Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth.

Thanks for all the info on the EP100 wolffie.

Edit: BTW, I haven't learned to like the EP100 yet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jwolffie, well written. Thanks again.

I would like to suggest something to all seasoned DSers: don't tell anyone what to buy. Give them unbiased data (as you know it) and make them make a choice. You have to figure we have riding skills on here that vary from those that would struggle with a coin-operated dime store pony to those that can make the fat lady dance. Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth.
:agree::agree:
Thanks for all the info on the EP100 wolffie.

I was not sure it first either, but the longer I run it the more I like it. It feels a lot like a MC tire to me now, but I had 8000 miles to get used to it too. everyone that follows me tells me "You should see what your rear tire is doing". The biggest comment I get is that "The bike leans but the tire doesn't". Is this the perfect tire? No, but I don't think there is a perfect tire on the market anyway. We all have to find the tire that works for us and unbiased data does help one make a good decision. There is another tire I considered, it was the Yokohama dB Super E-Spec but it cost 50% more money and it did not seem to be 50% better.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I for one am just beginning my CT adventure and I welcome all sober opinions. I'm starting out with a run flat Kuhmo .

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I for one am just beginning my CT adventure and I welcome all sober opinions. I'm starting out with a run flat Kuhmo .
I started with that tire, it worked well.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Welcome Coldwing good luck with the Kumho. :thumbup:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
except you
ROTFLMAO.In case you didn't notice-I haven't posted on this board for months I got tired of guys like you!
Why I posted yesterday was because. I don't like is disinformation.and for some strange reason you are full of it these days.
Remember I rode with you! Fast wasn't a word I'd of used for how you ride..lol

Run Flat or Non Run Flat tire choice as I said has been beaten to death.Why you started this thread can only be to Rant again about a dead subject.That's what I meant by no one cares anymore.Run what you like.:thumbup:

I believe everyone here is smart enough to make up their own mind about what they choose to use.And from what I have read they are enjoying their choice too.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I have the tire on order to be shipped to " TravelinLite's " home. If all the pieces arrive as planned next Saturday I'll make the 60 mile trip home on my first CT. Now back to the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Rocky;3388060 I believe everyone here is smart enough to make up their own mind about what they choose to use.And from what I have read they are enjoying their choice too.[/QUOTE said:
Hey Rocky missed your take on things. Enjoy the above statements the best and agree. To each there own if if not happy try something else.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but I have the tire on order to be shipped to " TravelinLite's " home. If all the pieces arrive as planned next Saturday I'll make the 60 mile trip home on my first CT. Now back to the Rocky and Bullwinkle show.
Richard will not steer you wrong, good choice !!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why you started this thread can only be to Rant again about a dead subject.
Nah Rocky, methinks the OP started this thread so there would be a place for ranting instead of the review thread he started. The review thread thread didn't start as a pissing contest but it sure went that way and I don't have have to wonder how it got that way.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Nah Rocky, methinks the OP started this thread so there would be a place for ranting instead of the review thread he started. The review thread thread didn't start as a pissing contest but it sure went that way and I don't have have to wonder how it got that way.
Naw Mike.Me thinks you can't see the forest for the trees".lol It don't matter none.:congrats:

·
Registered
731 Posts

Hey Rock try being nice and helpful to this guy

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Not again!:eek:4:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Disclaimer: I ride faster than the average rider does but not as fast as Rocky and some other riders on this forum. Rocky likes to go 100% and drag the pegs which doesn't leave much room for error. I only like to go 90% and have some room for error because on public roads you need room for error in my opinion. If I am going 85+ I am probably on the freeway so if that has been your problem Rocky I fully admit that you ride faster than I do.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You have to figure we have riding skills on here that vary from those of us that would struggle with a coin-operated dime store pony to those of us that can make the fat lady dance. Just my opinion and we all know what that is worth.

Hey.. I can ride the pony..if it has a cup holder, back rest, and a mail truck doesn't get in my way.:popcorn::lol:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts