GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay riders,
why the run flat tires instead of the regular tire like the firestone GTA tires?
surely not price as the firestone is less.

what exactly is/are the advantages to using the Run-Flat?
safety?
mileage?
ride quality?
traction enhancement?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would suggest you go back and review the post on this subject. There must be at least 1000 of them.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you oh so much for the insight with your technical response.

a quick search check thru the archives of this list showed only about 22,000.00 post that really had nothing to do with the request i posted.

perhaps you could indulge me with a more appropriate answer to my query?
or if you cant then may i suggest a dosage of .... well, i will be more civil than that.

butt thank you for your time in generating the response i know it is valuable.
regards,

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
cdog,

My reason for picking a runflat:
1. Obviously, it is designed to run when flat. No pesky, floppy tire that puts you on the side of the road. You can safely get to a place to get a repair or replacement.
2. The stiffer sidewalls inherent to the design have given greater stability.

I am getting mine installed today, in approx 2 hours.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks richard,
i am curious if having the regular tire vs the R/F version affords more flexibility while performing high spirited riding? say thru the twisty's?

i am guessing the R/F is structured with harder materials to keep the bead seated or prevent its removal from sudden deflate issues.

additionally, how would the install compared to a regular rear tire work.
-harder or easier than the Normal MC tire installs?
regards,

·
Registered
514 Posts
R/F Install

The run flat is harder to install due to the very stiff sidewalls. Stories abound about four burly guys using monster tire irons not being able to get it done.
I took mine to a shop that has a machine that will compress the sidewall. Took about 3 minutes to mount the Pirelli R/F. Regular changers will have an extremely difficult time.
My one question about the run flat is, if it goes flat, how do you tell without actually checking the pressure?
As far as flexibility, etc. I can drag the pegs on the twisties if I want to, the tire rides ten times better than a mc tire, and should last much longer.

Jack Darksider #66

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Re: R/F Install

pagaloomer said:
My one question about the run flat is, if it goes flat, how do you tell without actually checking the pressure?
It will feel like the road is wavy. Mine lost all air at 75mph due to a bad valve stem. It got squirelly. At 65 is was fairly stable. At 15...it was very hard to steer into the parking lot.

I strongly suggest running the tire at 15 for a while so you know what it feels like as it is losing air.

As to the priginal question, non-run-flats are reported to be a bit too soft. The bike handles better and is more stable at higher speeds with the stiff sidewall of the RF.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I just got back from having my Dunlop RF installed.

WOW!!!

Yes, on crowned roads you have to use a little more force. Other than that, it is a definite plus. It tracks straighter than my MT did. Bad road conditions (lumps and such) are less noticeable. Railroad tracks are almost undetected. Cornering is weird because I sense a greater degree of traction.

It took 2 young men at a motorcycle tire shop to mount my tire. That was after I listened to the owner warn me of all the bad things about mounting the tire, for 20 minutes. They grudgingly mounted it and took my money (by credit card). I told them I would check back with them and let them know how it worked for me. All of you other guys are just heresay reports.

I have a little day-ride coming up this Sunday. Wait until my friends see what I have!

·
Registered
9,390 Posts
The R/F just feels more like a motto tire in turns.

Yes, more handlebar input to initiate and hold turns, but you will intuitively adjust within 100 miles and won't notice the difference after that.

I started at 35 psi, am now down to 32 and will soon try 30. Am trying to sell my spare rear motto tires, just no need to go back.

Anxious to try a new Conti R/F with a treadwear rating of 400.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would like to thank those that offered the assit to my question(s)
soon i will install a R/F dunlop and experience the longevity,traction, security and such other reported benifits as this tire affords.

after testing/riding for a few miles i will report my findings.

i will be running a few Long Distance Endurance Rallys in the next few weeks and should have 20K miles on them by the end of august.

these tires will definitely enhance my fuel coinage disbursements since i will be saving a tonne of pennies on the Motocycle tires replacements should they work out as described.

·
Registered
123 Posts
cdogbt1sw03033 said:
well thank you oh so much for the insight with your technical response.

a quick search check thru the archives of this list showed only about 22,000.00 post that really had nothing to do with the request i posted.

perhaps you could indulge me with a more appropriate answer to my query?
or if you cant then may i suggest a dosage of .... well, i will be more civil than that.

butt thank you for your time in generating the response i know it is valuable.
regards,
cdog
In the last six months on this thread, I can’t begin to count the number of post pertaining to RF vs NRF. Plus the RF in each name brand vs the NRF in that brand. The tread design in each. The rubber compound of each. Photo’s taken with the camera mounted on the bike concerning the flexing of the RF. Which one handle best at different speeds, road conditions, etc. What traits were common in the RF vs NRF. The discussion pertaining to the RF and NRF were and still are endless.

So my suggestion that you go back and read those post was not a smart remark, but a suggestion I thought would not only answer your immediate question but any other you might have, and give you a lot of other information as well. Granted the info might not be in 1,2,3. order you requested but I thought a little reading would give you much more than you ask for. Sorry I was wrong.

But if you have ever been to a movie or watching one on TV and 2/3 of the movie was over and someone walk in and ask what has taken place up until then, you can see what I mean. You could give them some high lights but would be to their advantage to watch the whole thing. So I apologize for trying to give you more help than you ask for. As for your smart answer, I forgive you.

Joey

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Joey,
No harm, no foul.
If this issue, as you have stated, seems to a persistent nag,
May I suggest an alternative?

As the number two (2) listed “Darksider”, plead, cajole, beg, borrow or steal to the Admins to create a "STICKY" note that has the general comparo or, a "summary", if you will, of the pertinent info regarding this issue.

Then a quick jab to the requestor seeking the answer would be to direct them to the top of this particular listing/forum would be forthright.

Imagine the time savings for all concern!

Indeed, having the quick reference to what surely is asked many folds will provide additional fodder for others to nail the noobies!

best regards,

·
Registered
598 Posts
Good Job, Joey.

Joey,
Glad to see the explanation for your initial post. It was rather terse, and easily confused with being a bit smart-alecky (as we all can be at times :lol: ). CDog had asked me about the C/T on another forum and I sent him over here to the Darksiders for answers. So I was hoping he would be welcomed into the fold and provided with the information he was seeking. Nice to see y'all living up to my expectations.
It has been gratifying to see the amount of information being exchanged on this forum since the Darksiders were given their own venue. It has been rare indeed that we have read any heated exchanges since the naysayers went back to arguing with each other over which m/t is the worst. Let's keep this forum at this higher level, and remember that we are a minority within a minority, within a minority within... well, there just aren't a whole lot of us compared to the world population. :lol: We need to stick together, as one of these days we'll be considered the experts on rear tires for the GL1800 (but don't hold your breath). :roll:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
richard h said:
cdog,

My reason for picking a runflat:
1. Obviously, it is designed to run when flat. No pesky, floppy tire that puts you on the side of the road. You can safely get to a place to get a repair or replacement.
2. The stiffer sidewalls inherent to the design have given greater stability.

I am getting mine installed today, in approx 2 hours.
cdogbt1sw03033
"Greater stability" at lower pressures, also the RF design maintains tire shape at lower pressures.)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why jack,
Thought you be running around terrorizing the lower 48 by now!
i have received some more info from others and have additional info for future tire choices to consider for the future.
i will be testing the Dunlop’s week after next during the Beast in the East Rally so knowing those RB's i should definitely give the R/F tire a great work out! that will be followed by a brief run across the ole USA for 2wks should easily garner more opinion by the end of late august early sept. a few more runs around the great lakes possible improve my standing of completing the GLG and then might even try the TC! i will send you a note when you get back onlist.
Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
CDOG,
The short version: R/F are more effective CT running on the Wing than the none-r/f...take OUR (22,000) posts that say so for reference!!

Let us know how that dunnie does for ya!...
Want to register, email me

S

·
0 Posts
The stiffer sidewalls inherent to the design have given greater stability.
I found the bike handles better in the corners under lower pressure as it allows the inner sidewall to collapse rather than crawl up on the edge - Just a feeling thing on my part.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mounted mine ,runfate myself with two screw drivers ,if you know what your doing its not that hard even with the hard sidewalls ,love the tire will never do back to bike tire,im running a contental conitrac,only hard thing i had was i had to let the air back out ,it made it easier to get back in ,mines a 195/55/16

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I chose the run flat because the side walls are thicker and stiffer to the point that some have trouble mounting them. Since we are leaning out on the outside edges I thought that made more sense. and yes, I know the original post from 07, but to someone searching posts for answers it is today.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts