GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever ridden in RFTW and if so what are your observations? Over 300,000 bikes participated last year! Hard to comprehend that many motorcycles at once.
Ken

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yes, I have ridden with them in the past.

They begin the ride in Ontario, CA and take two routes across the US to Washington, DC. One can ride "All the Way" or part of the route (day riders).

They are organized and have road guards that help keep it that way. But there are "novice" riders that you need to be aware of.

The 300,000 bikes you speak of is the Rolling Thunder group...I will not ride with them.

The 2007 run has a couple of changes so you would do well to review the RFTW web site at http://www.rftw.org/ for those details.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
A friend of ours rides with them every year. Twice he has been in bad accidents because of other riders doing something stupid. Be on your guard at all times, especially from the rear. Some people just either don't brake or know how to use their brakes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
RFTW

DT-----Why is it you will not ride with Rollingthunder?

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: RFTW

dusty said:
DT-----Why is it you will not ride with Rollingthunder?
I am aware of an incident that involved both members and officers of Rolling Thunder. While the original incident in question would be seen by most as "simply" a violation of the sanctity of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in DC, the subsequent handling of the matter by RT officers grew into much more.

Also involved were US Federal officials and investigators with the FPS.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I rode with them for a day and it was enough for me. They make you ride side by side and keep you bunched up real tight, no more then 1 second behind the rider in front of you so that does't leave much room if something happens in front of you. The road gaurds are constantly checking to make sure everyone stays bunched up. They almost always have a few bad accidents. Not for me, however it is neat and for a good cause.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Run for the Wall

I was planning on doing this ride this year. My father in law did it last year and loved it. He joined the group somewhere near Kansas City Missouri.

My plan is to ride from Byron Ga, to Kansas City solo then hook up my father in law and the group and ride into DC. From there my father in law and I are planning to ride south back to Byron Ga. He'll then ride solo back to KC.

I've ridden with a few large groups (20 or more bikes) but am not terribly fond of it. I wonder if getting on the tail end of the group every day would be better than being in the middle. I do not like side by side riding, too dangerous imho. I also prefer at least 2 second gaps between bikes.

I'd like to hear more from those of you that have been on the ride.

Dave

·
Registered
781 Posts
dbdj, They will recomend that you do that if you are uncomfortable. They do try to keep it as safe as possible and I suppose they have to keep it bunched up like that with that many bikes or the line would go on forever. You will have fun, it was neat and moving but once is enough for me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I rode to Rolling Thunder this past Memorial Day Weekend.

Do not expect a Rally like other venues. Staging the Ride to the Wall in the Pentagon parking Lot is the main activity before the actual ride to the Memorial.

There are not a lot of vendors nor services. Bring plenty of water with you and don't forget suncreen.

If you leave your bike to use the Porta-Potty make sure you have a good idea where your bike is parked. The staging goes on for hours and if you leave your bike and don't make landmark references you can be in trouble. Don't ask how I know this. Suffice it to say that asking folks if they have seen a black GL1800 mostly gets a funny look and a good luck statement.I rode from Tucson to Portsmouth, VA alone. Hooked up with a couple of friends there and rode up to D.C. for the Ride.

I would do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts