GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you run your bike on occasion while it's sitting in winter storage? I changed the oil before I put it away and the battery connected to a battery tender. It has been just below freezing for awhile and now just over freezing with lots of ice and snow on the ground. I have the bike in an unheated garage. Thanks,
Cliff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do not start it unless you are going to ride it. Starting causes condensation in the engine and exhaust system, and if not totally burned off will cause corrosion and water in the oil.
If you need to start it for some reason, allow it to run through at least two fan cycles before shutting down.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
Do you run your bike on occasion while it's sitting in winter storage? I changed the oil before I put it away and the battery connected to a battery tender. It has been just below freezing for awhile and now just over freezing with lots of ice and snow on the ground. I have the bike in an unheated garage. Thanks,
Cliff.
Once it's put away, mine doesn't get started till spring time and the salt/sand is washed off the roads.

:doorag:

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Never, never, never run a stored vehicle in an unheated area in winter.

The water vapour that is visible when running in cold weather is a sign that the exhaust system is removing enough heat from the exhaust flow to condense out (at least some of) the moisture. Some of the condensed moisture exits with the flow (and is visible) some accumulates in the exhaust system. Some might even drip from the exhaust system drain hole -- as witnessed by some of the questions posted about possible 'leaks' of a clear fluid...

Fluid change before storage (as posted) is better than when removing from storage.

Battery disconnected, removed and/or on a battery maintainer is all that is required.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! Cliff.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Do not start it. Follow the instructions as outlined in your Owner's Manual > index > motorcycle > Storing Your Honda

1 - 8 of 8 Posts