GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gorgeous day in south Mississippi,road to the coast for a game of chance,when we arived.The frekin bags would not open,Mama could not get her purs out,and dat's fightin words. I said what's the big deal ,you wouldn't understand she said. She said let's go back home.Then she said do Harley's bags break. :cry:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Haze,

In the bottom of the trunk, there is a rubber grommet that is positioned over each saddlebag. Pull that grommet out and you can reach your finger in there to pop the saddlebag lock.

I believe that this is covered in the owners manual as well.

Get that bike to the dealer and "MAKE" them change your lock mechanism. Don't even fiddle with it yourself. Eventually if Honda fixes and pays for a few thousand of these, they might just put in a better latch mechanism.

Bulldog

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Purple Haze said:
Then she said do Harley's bags break. :cry:
my wife would have been walking. ;)

Seems like there is a simple process to open the bags when this happens in tha manual as mentioned .

I need to check that out , since I have now read about the problem I am on the list for it to happen to next.. LOL

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
yes, thru the trunk and stick your finger in the appropriate opening to unlatch the left or right bag. I did this once and really had to streach the finger to operate the latch. Then back to the dealer for adjustment of the latching mechanism....and now both open as advetised :D

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Closet Chef:

When are you going to come out with a chrome
plated ABS handle for a latch assembly that is
on the side of the saddlebad itself. Something
that will bypass the hidden latches under the
trunk. I figure you would have to cut a square
hole, etc., but it could still look good and make
someone some extra bucks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
rottendog said:
Having it in the book is nice unless your biik is in the saddlebag that won't open. :eek:4:
That sure is the TRUTH....this is why we are suspose to read the maual before putting it away. Also why I store my MOM in the trunk! :D

·
Chard Member
12,961 Posts
Also why I store my MOM in the trunk!
GaryG....I hope you have vent holes in the trunk for your MOM! :( Sounds like you need to feed the poor Lady if she fits into the trunk! :D

Sorry Gary, I couldn't resist myself! LOL..

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record .

I do read every book or manual I have ever owned.And I have had a lot of toys in 53 years,probably more than most. Also I can figure most thing out without a book anyway.But this bike only has 4000 miles on it ,and yes the book was in the left bag LOCKED. When I got it I just asked the Service Manager too show me some stuff.His quto was it does so much, I could not do it in one day.I asked about the ceremony,he never heard of it ,and said its not on theis wing.BS Then he showed me how to slam the crap out of the bags to shut them.When a push in the center gives two click your good. Neither one new anything about the radio,and I had to make another trip to get the aux cable they did know what it was for,They thought it was for a cell phone.I think this is an exceptional machine to own,that why I sold Two Valkyrie for it.I think the latch system for 17200 with tax should last more than 4K miles.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Honda has redesigned the latch mechanism for the left saddlebag. The newer design is supposed to be better.

John

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
<Then he showed me how to slam the crap out of the bags to shut them>

First and foremost, Don't Slam Your Bags Shut!!!!!!
If you've done that at all that has probably contributed or lead to your problem. You should be closing your side bags and trunk more gentlely, and in fact the side bags I would suggest you just need to get them up near to a closed position and push rather softly and it will snap shut.

DaleC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Saddlebag latches

I'm about to go in for my THIRD mechanism in two years.

I'll keep changing them under warranty until Honda makes one that won't malfunction.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Harry Honda through the Dealer tells me they will only fix the Bad Bag Button (release) ONCE PER YEAR!
SO I just keep on bending it back into position.
For the common emergeny release needed I installed a replacement cover for the access hole in the trunk with a Ty-Rap handle on it to make it easier to get to. All of the emergency stuff has been moved to the Right Saddlebag which is the only one I can count on.
What a POS.

Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts