GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re-posting this by popular demand.

We have a thread for "opinions". This is not it. Please post only if you are running a car tire on your Wing. That way those that wish to can make an informed decision.

Please post:

• Manufacturer
    Model
    Runflat or not
    Size
    Cost if you desire
    Total mileage on the tire
    Positive aspects
    Negative aspects

Pictures if you have any.
Thanks to those of you who voiced support for the previous post. Once we get a good number of postings, I will gather them all into a spreadsheet and post it as a PDF file for future reference to those who wish to keep it handy.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Toyo Proxes T1R
195/55R16
Not a Fun Flat
30PSI Solo, 36PSI Two Up
Current Mileage >8000
Paid $94.00 off Internet

Pros
Smoother ride
Quieter ride
Improved traction for acceleration and braking
Equal or increased cornering traction
Improved low speed handling over smooth surfaces
Quicker return to vertical coming out of a corner
Greater longevity (wear)
Higher load carrying capacity
Lower cost

Cons
Provides steering inputs over rutted roads
Provides steering inputs over uneven surfaces at low speeds
Handling feels “vague” at high speeds (>100mph)
Feels like tire ”steps out” when throttle opened or closed abruptly while banked over in a corner. (Has never slipped or slid, just feels weird/funny)
Some counter-steer pressure required to maintain a turn

No reason to ever run a MC tire on back of my wing again.

[/img]

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Manufacturer: Nexen
Model: N2000
Runflat or not: not
Size: 195/50-16
PSI: 36
Cost: $76.25 including shipping
Total mileage on the tire: >1500

Positive aspects:
Lower cost
Increased traction on all surfaces
Rock stable on the super slab
Smoother ride
Quieter ride

Negative aspects:
Increased counter-steer force required
Increased engine RPM's (about [email protected])
Squeals loudly on hot, dry, slick asphalt when hot rodding :)

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D runflat model
195/55/16
36 or 38psi...haven't made up my mind yet...
Miles...not sure
price...can't remember
Purchased from tirerack.com

seems like the best motto tire I ever used...unlike the non-runflat I use on my first experience, it does not have any handling issues

Pros
A much better tire for touring than OEM
Smooth
nice
really good
great
pretty neat
cool
kind of wonderful
well behaved
comfortable
sort of practical
very good looking
wider
my favorite color: on the side of Dark

Cons
May not be as efficient as motorcycle tire at 140mph
It has been known to cause flaming
Heretics may refuse to mount them
May forget the name of the OEM tires
It makes you join weird people who call themselves Darksiders

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info so far. I know that there are more than 5 out there running a ct.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Car Tire

We have a Kumho mounted on a second rim; used primarily w/our Insta Trike, but have ridden it a bunch on just two wheels.

Model: Ecsta High Performance
Run Flat: ?? Don't know what you mean. (I haven't tried riding it with no air in the tire)
Size: 195/50R16 which is a little smaller diameter so at a given speed the speedometer is off even more than stock.
Cost: Don't remember, but much cheaper than a stock tire.
Miles: 15,880 and it looks like it did when new.
Pros: No signs of unever wear (scalloping)
Cons: Registers 10% high on mph (66 on bike is 60 mph). Maybe that's a Pro because it's easy to compute my speed. To go any speed, I just add 10% 70=77; 30=33.
The bike does tend to have a mind of its own when on uneven roads.
Slow speed riding is more difficult unless the pavement is very even and level.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Micky O,
Runflats are tires designed for keeping on rolling when they get a flat...apparently, the technology entails strong sidewalls...maybe, bulletproof sidewalls...

Here is the difference, all those things you said about the tires going slow, following ruts etc are non-existant in a runflat model...maybe I had one too long...I just ride a bike with cemental radial again just so I get the feel of what they were like again, but I dont see not difference between a motto tire and a runflat except for the exceptional performance of the latter...thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dunlop Winter sport 3D
195/55/16
Not a runflat (wish I had one though)
About 300 miles so far
Bought from tirerack for about $125

Boy, was I lucky! I was on a 2 day ride with the wife and another couple. About 50 miles from home the rear Stone just doesn't fill right. Leaning left-ok, straight-ok, leaning right-can feel a slight vibration. Could not see any problem with tire, but know there is one. Slow down and make it home with no problem. Still no visible problem with tire.

Look on the front porch and there is my CT. Next morning brings bad weather so I decide to mount the CT. Put bike on center stand and -Dang- what a large bump on the right side. Only 7,500 miles on tire and good tread left on tire, but it is now no good. Always maintained about 42-43 #s in tire. So I mount the CT and am happy it was available.

I am an average rider at best. I am not a curve carver. I do like a good-gripping, smooth-riding dependable tire. That is why I decided to try the CT.

Observations: Easy to mount, lots of tread. Very smooth ride and actually "smooths" road out. Likes to drift to the low side so a bit more correction is necessary. Takes a bit more pressure to rotate over in a corner, but, Boy, that sucker sure does grip. When putting throttle back on it will straigthen up and take off! Tremendous braking power!! I believe 36 is a good pressure 1 up and 38 for 2 up. Tire runs very cool to the touch. Quiet as a mouse going straight--a little noisy leaning in curves ( nothing like my E3 was though).

So far I like it. It is a different ride, and is not for every one. I and tired of the problems I have had with rears and am looking for an alternative. I will try a run-flat next time-not sure of brand.

Dwight McKelvy

DSI#0011

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bike: Valkyrie Interstate
CT: Toyo Proxies 205-65-16 (not a run flat)
Milage: 15,000 +
Advantages: smoother ride, better grip, will run another 15K before down to wear bars
Disadvantages: follows ruts in cuppy road
Valkyrie Darkside (VSSD) #36

Wing tire: Ordered yesterday a Dunlop Winter Sport 195/55/16 Runflat due to the information on this site. Looking forward to being a Double Dark Side Rider (Possibly DDSR #1)
International Wing Darkside # Pending completion and acceptance of my application

Patron

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Patron,
You are the kind of people I am looking for...used a none-runflat and runflat and I am dying to hear your report on the differences between the two (should you experience any) :biker: ....you and I, that I know of, would be the only two DSI who have used both models...are pioneers like Columbus?
I think Tom Franken told me he used both also...but at that time I did not sense the force as I do now...

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Tom take off the cemental and set yourself free...feel the force

Tom,
That is ridiculuous, no one in the Darksider fellowship want to wait for the Godfather to join the circle of grip that long...you should sell those cemental tires to heretics... :biker:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Please post only if you are running a car tire on your Wing. That way those that wish to can make an informed decision.
LOL, that's pretty funny. How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision when they only hear one side?

·
Registered
59 Posts
KG5ie - Thanks for the repost.

Manufacturer: Toyo Proxes
Model: 06 Wing
Runflat or not: Not
Size: 195/55/R16
PSI: 40lbs
Cost if you desire: $100
Total mileage on the tire: 1.6K

Positive aspects:
The Ride - very smooth
Less Tipsy
Stability- Full stop, Slow go/No go, secondary streets and highways
Better traction
Better braking
Cost
Tracking - Open grate brides, road scoring, or other impedements
Miles before replacement - TBD, but think it will achieve 30K
Odometer - no change from OEM tire

Negative aspects:
Higher speeds due to stability, traction and braking
More Peg dragging due to above
MPG - 5 -10% decrease to date
Unexpected/Expected movement slow speed road irregularities - you notice it, but it doesn't effect anything, other than your senses indicating you had a slight movement
Speedometer - Believe to be off at different speeds, need GPS folks to comment.

Pics:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.a ... 2Fmessages
Click on Left Side, "Lehigh Valley & Berks", scroll down to "Tire Mounting" Click on it and it is the 7th message of 12 messages

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Word up Rick

LARRYm
I think were you want to post your point is here...unless, you have "information"...
GoldWing Tires on a car- Dire Warning.

I always check this site above, as all Darksiders do religiously, because we are highly interested on what everyone who has never use a car tire has to say about it...you know, so that we can make up our minds whether or not we want to continue this madness

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just installed a Dunlop Winter Sport D3 run-flat car tire on my 2005 Wing running 35 PSI cold. Took it out for a 40 mile test ride and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I also have a valkyrie interstate that I have run a car tire for 15,000+ miles. Really there is no comparison between the two. The valk tire is not a run flat; it is a Toyo Proxies 205/65/16 all season tire. I think anyone who has ridden these two bikes would agree that the wing handles much easier (some my read that as better) than the valk. First, I will try and compare the two bikes with two different types of car tires.

The Ride itself: Both bikes ride smoother with the car tire. The rail-road tracks here are real bad and a good place to test ride. The car tires handle the thumps much better. A little flex makes a lot of difference in the ride.

Handling: Handling with the valk and car tire takes more steering imput than with the motorcycle tire. The increase in steering (countersteering) imput with the wing with the runflat tire is not near as dramatic. A little more steering imput is required but not to any great degree. In fact, I was running a 70 series motorcycle tire and that decreased steering imput from the stock 60 series tire. With the run-flat tire I might just be back to where the 60 series tire was but I have run the 70 series tire long enough to get used to it. The run flat tire takes slightly more pressure than the 70 series tire for sure; but the increase pressure was not noticed after 40 miles of riding.

With the valkyrie with the Toyo car tire, I could always feel a ridge that I had to overcome to get a nice lean established. Once you got off the flat spot in the tire and got ito a corner you just held it there until you were ready to straighten up and just released the pressure. It would come back to straight by itself. On the wing with the run-flat I can't feel any ridge at all. If feels just like a moto tire that takes just a touch more steering input than the 70 series tire.

To tell how responsive the tires are I set the cruise control at 70 mph; took my hands of the bars and just used a little lean back and forth in the saddle to see how the bike reacted. With the valkyrie, a lean does very little...the relatively flat car tire keeps you going straight; with the wing and run-flat tire the bike starts a slow turn with minimal weight shift, just like the moto tire.

With all the dry weather we have had here in Texas we have some horribly cuppy roads. The valkyrie and car tire will let you know immediately that the cup is there and it is going to the bottom of the cup (ready or not here we go). The run-flat tire on the wing is much, much better mannered. I don't think the cup made any more difference to the run-flat tire than it did with a moto tire. Yep, it's there, so what. Much improved to the not run-flat valkyrie car tire.

On my test route they were repaving a stretch where the worst cuppy road was located. The opposite direction of the road had been repaved but the way I was going was old cuppy road. We all watch for these areas becasuse of the 2" verticle step up and down that the new pavemetnt causes. I decided to slow down and ride up the step. I slowed down to about 40 and up I went. Nothing more than a moto tire. So down I went next. Nothing eventful. The valk with the not run-flat tire would have really tried to walk, especially going down. So I started a weave........ up, down, up, down, up, down, I am sure you get the picture. Uneventfull at 40, 50, and 60 mph. Same as a moto tire, no real difference. Then I tried riding on the edge of the 2" unlevel pavement. I really don't have anything to report. Just like doing it on a moto tire.

I sure liked my 70 series tire becasue it corrected my speedo error and raised the bike so the pegs weren't always scraping. With the car tire I am back to 60 series height and clearance and my speedo error is right back to where it was with the 60 series moto tire.

Grip: Feels extremely stable and grippy but my test run was on dry pavement.

Conclusion: Unless something comes up that I don't expect the Dunlop Winter Sport D3 run-flat car tire is an absolute winner for the Goldwing. The advantages of a car tire without the negitives that I found with the Valkyrie not run flat car tire. Now I have to get a yellow box to correct the spedo.

I know its hard to compare two different tires on two differet bikes but that is all I have to compare.

Hope this helps someone.

Patron

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
This info is very interesting .. IMHO motorcycle tires are overpriced..
thus I would like to try a car tire on my Wing ... a run flat... but I would like one that is closest to the OEM motorcycle tire size...I like the info that a car tire rides softer and stops quicker... if anyone has that info and would not mind responding I would appreciate it..

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
EVERYONE
We need an archives manager...everytime some asks a question like Chariot we can spot them the info...keep all the info on web size, pics, stats on footprint, video (new) and any other particulars on the Darksider culture.....any volunteers????

Chariot, I can't remember where but a couple of times people have posted the exact size specs on all tires, including motto and car, that fit a Wing...

I suspect the closest to stock size is a 195/55/16...

Rich, Meteor, Kangdo, Motorcycleboy...!

I

·
0 Posts
Somebody ought to be asking how many Grand Prix and other classes of professional road racing motorcycles are running automobile tires. I bet the answer is NONE.

Motorcycles are not 4 wheel vehicles, and the dynamics between the two are worlds apart.

I wonder what your insurance company will do when you wipe out and they find out you were running automobile tires on your motorcycle? Just a thought.

I rest my case.

Ride safe.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts