GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

the running light OEM switch is lit whether the lights are on or not. I read here years ago about a method to cut one wire on the back of the switch and connect to the other so that the switch is only lit when you depress the button to turn the running lights on.

I can not find this post...anyone have a suggestion to what wires should be cut/joined? Thanks!

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Here in the USA we do not have an OEM running light switch. Our running lights come on when the ignition switch is tuned to the on position.

However, possibly help can be given if you tell us how many wires go to the running light switch assy. A picture of the back of the switch might be better.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Here in the USA we do not have an OEM running light switch. Our running lights come on when the ignition switch is tuned to the on position.

However, possibly help can be given if you tell us how many wires go to the running light switch assy. A picture of the back of the switch might be better.

Sounds like he is talking about the lower cowl lights. That switch is illuminated all the time. He wants to wire it so It only illuminates when the lower cowl lights are ON.

He would have to cut the wire to the bulb in the switch and then wire it to the power wire going to the cowl lights. Or add a 12 volt led to the cowl light power and mount the LED near the switch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies.

CIHILB is correct. I was referring to the lower cowl lights and he has the right explanation to what I remember but I will have to look at the wires to see which are correct.

I should have been more specific...the bike is 2008 ABS/NAV. It is the USA version which I brought back to Australia after living in PA.

thanks again for the replies.

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
thanks for the replies.

CIHILB is correct. I was referring to the lower cowl lights and he has the right explanation to what I remember but I will have to look at the wires to see which are correct.

I should have been more specific...the bike is 2008 ABS/NAV. It is the USA version which I brought back to Australia after living in PA.

How's the riding in Australia ??? Have you rode New Zealand ???

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
thanks for the replies.

Electrical connection has just what you need. If you still have friends in PA,maybe they can order it for you and ship it to Aus.
https://electricalconnection.com/in...0-f6b-valkyrie-fog-light-onoff-led-indicator/

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
thanks for the replies.

Electrical connection has just what you need. If you still have friends in PA,maybe they can order it for you and ship it to Aus.
https://electricalconnection.com/in...0-f6b-valkyrie-fog-light-onoff-led-indicator/
May be cheaper than you ordering it directly. Not sure fi EC ships overseas.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
hello,

the running light OEM switch is lit whether the lights are on or not. I read here years ago about a method to cut one wire on the back of the switch and connect to the other so that the switch is only lit when you depress the button to turn the running lights on.

I can not find this post...anyone have a suggestion to what wires should be cut/joined? Thanks!
I thought the point of lighting the fog light switch was to make it easier to find when riding in the dark.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How's the riding in Australia ??? Have you rode New Zealand ???
Hello GoldWingrGreg

riding in Australia is great (i have to say that it is my home! :). Long distances and sometimes long time distances between towns. varied regions .... wine country, tropics, alpine, coastal etc etc. Further north you go the higher temperatures and humidity.

I have only driven in NZ...both the North and South Island. I think South Island is best for biking but NZ has spectacular scenery wherever you go...it is a wonderful place and the Kiwi's are very hospitable and friendly. There are bike tours available in NZ (and Oz)...fly in, join the tour and ride...all routes and accommodation sorted for you.

Thinking of visiting?

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
Hello GoldWingrGreg

riding in Australia is great (i have to say that it is my home! :). Long distances and sometimes long time distances between towns. varied regions .... wine country, tropics, alpine, coastal etc etc. Further north you go the higher temperatures and humidity.

I have only driven in NZ...both the North and South Island. I think South Island is best for biking but NZ has spectacular scenery wherever you go...it is a wonderful place and the Kiwi's are very hospitable and friendly. There are bike tours available in NZ (and Oz)...fly in, join the tour and ride...all routes and accommodation sorted for you.

Thinking of visiting?
NZ has been on my bucket list for decades. I heard long ago it's the best m/c riding in the world ... thus, all those m/c touring companies. Hopefully, someday I'll get to ride there.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
NZ has been on my bucket list for decades. I heard long ago it's the best m/c riding in the world ... thus, all those m/c touring companies. Hopefully, someday I'll get to ride there.

Popped over to Oz for Christmas with the daughter. Booked a Air B + B at Kingston Docks and also did some exploring from Canberra in Banjo Patterson / Snowy Mountain country for a few days. Nice country but it was really hot and I was pleased we were in a car with a/c - 42C. If you do go to Oz I would plan for some cooler months. Heading down to the South Island in February for 14 days riding and attending the WATOC Rally at Hanmer Springs on my Wing :grin2:
A few snaps....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I have had driving lights on my Wing for years and have never turned them off. I think they are more valuable during the day than at night. I can't remember if the switch is lighted when it is off, but I know that it is pushed in when it it on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts