GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I fired up the bike a couple of hours ago to zip across town and have dinner. It sounded a little weird idling as I was backing it up out of the shed and seemed to be missing as I got out on the highway and got up to speed. It sounded as if it was missing, like a a plug was out or something. later on when I left dinner, it ran fine.

Any ideas what this could be? Also, not sure if this is related or not...but as i was driving into town and was going around 40mph or so...I pulled the clutch in and turned the bike off and coasted for a bit then fired her back up which caused the green cruise light to come on and flash. But Im figuring that was just because I did what I did...or is related to the issue? Didnt flash on the way back when it ran fine.

34degrees outside

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Ryan,

Couple of quick things.

Reset the ECM properly.

Warm it up a bit before putting any power to it.

Plugs need to be pulled, inspected and possibly replaced.

Water in the fuel.

Moisture on the wires (unlikely, but possible).

Good Luck

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
34 degrees ?

Ziggy i sure hope u were wearing different gear than what u show in your avatar !

if i stand behind my 2002 wing when its first started cold it has always sounded a little rough, i think its normal cuz my 2001 sounded the same, easy way to fix it is turn up the radio a little

·
Registered
922 Posts
milage???

Add BG 44k to gas, check plugs. Was the tank full?? Could be water in gas, full tank and 44k should clean it up. If you don't want to spend 20.00 on the 44k try the cheaper injector cleaners from auto parts store.

I did the coasting thing in my 69 Z28 ONCE...sounded like an atomic bomb when I turned the key back on, surprised I did not blow out the mufflers....Must have looked funny as hell from the rear.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the ideas. Ill have to experiment here. I havent ridden it much since Ive been out here in Wyoming. Its been a couple of weeks at least since I took it out due to weather and other factors. The tank is next to empty so it could be a water thing...havent had it full since before we moved.

Just started it up now...a wonderful 28 degrees outside. Started up and ran fine, it seemed. didnt take it out for a spin though. Will go and get some stabil in there later this week sometime.

Of course I dont ride in shorts and a shirt on cold days! I wear pants! Mayyyybe a jacket if its reallly cold.

·
Vendor
22,512 Posts
Store the bike with a completely full tank to reduce condensation and stabil also will help.

These new ethanol blended gas mixtures can also cause problems as they can go bad in as little as 2 weeks. Try to fill it with non-ethanol gas if you can, and put it to bed with a full tank whenever possible.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Running rough when cold

If the problem goes away when the bike warms up it could just be going into "Closed Loop" When the bike starts the ECM disregards all of the sensors and just feeds enough fuel to keep the engine running and the bike runs rich so it could sound rough especially on a cold day. After things warm up the ecm starts to listen to the sensors and adjusts things to smooth out the engine.

Q

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
ziggystyles said:
Hi all,
I fired up the bike a couple of hours ago to zip across town and have dinner. It sounded a little weird idling as I was backing it up out of the shed and seemed to be missing as I got out on the highway and got up to speed. It sounded as if it was missing, like a a plug was out or something. later on when I left dinner, it ran fine.

Any ideas what this could be? Also, not sure if this is related or not...but as i was driving into town and was going around 40mph or so...I pulled the clutch in and turned the bike off and coasted for a bit then fired her back up which caused the green cruise light to come on and flash. But Im figuring that was just because I did what I did...or is related to the issue? Didnt flash on the way back when it ran fine.

34degrees outside

Thanks,
Ryan
Hello the resister plugs fuel foul REAL easy!!!! just let it warm up then gently rev the engine it will "clear out"...chuck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts