GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that we are having some cool mornings in New England (40's) I am reminded how much better my 1800 runs when it's cold. Even after the choke shuts off, the shifting is smooth and quiet, and the engine sounds perfect for the first five miles or so. When it gets up to full operating temperature the shifter gets noisy and clunky, and the engine's clicks and pops seem more pronounced.

I'm using 10-40 synthetic. Is there something wrong with my bike, or do others experience this?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
I think all engines run slightly better in cool weather. Cool air is denser and has more oxygen in it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mine does it too - runs much smoother (quieter, etc) now that we have some real New England weather. Has this week been GREAT or what - yahoo!!!

Seriously, it was so noticeable that I checked the temp on the display a few times this week - 55 degrees or so, sometimes a little lower. It has been nice.

G

·
Art H. said:
I think all engines run slightly better in cool weather. Cool air is denser and has more oxygen in it.
Exactly why some hot rodders put a "cold box" full of ice between the intercooler and the intake manifold on their turbo-charged engine before they make a run down the dragstrip.

Cooler intake air is better if it isn't loaded with moisture, which displaces oxygen in the air.

To wit, my 1800 is much more responsive and quicker on 50 degree day than it is on an 80 degree day. I am usually more responsive also. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Apparently none of you remember a time when drag racers used what is called a cool can. It was a can they would run the fuel line through and fill it up with ice to cool the fuel of course. I don't know what they use these days.

LAW

G

·
LAW said:
Apparently none of you remember a time when drag racers used what is called a cool can. It was a can they would run the fuel line through and fill it up with ice to cool the fuel of course. I don't know what they use these days.

LAW
That was to prevent vapor lock on hot days at the track. As for increasing HP, it was meaningless.

And yes, I remember that. I was drag racing in those days. Oops, just revealed my age. :lol:

Ride safe.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
My Wing doesn't have or need a choke, and automatically compensates for the amount of oxygen in the air.

Sorry about you guys! :cry:

:lol:

As far as O** goes, that is why I've always preferred 20W-50 to anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.