GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 DCT Touring with 16,000 miles on it.
I think it might be called a rubber boot, not sure though.
I was out riding today and hit a pretty good sized hole or bump in the road. It was on a partially shaded road so it was hard to see. Anyway, shortly after that I noticed a small bit of grease splattered on the inside wall of the steering compartment below the accessory panel on the bike.
At the next stop I could get a closer look at it. The rubber boot was torn and the grease content of it was splattered on the left wall. The doesn't seem to be any slop in the steering though. Not sure what the rubber boot does either.
Looking in the shop manual it looks like the whole tie rod would have to be replaced. BIke is still under 36,000 miles so I guess it would be repaired under warranty but I'm sure it will sit in the shop until some time in December, behind all the oil change jobs.
Maybe I should consider installing a Traxxion tie rod instead.

20201017_211638.jpg
20201017_211703.jpg

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why would you expect it to be covered under? In your post you admitted to hitting a road hazard,I.E. pot hole.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would anything be covered on the bike after hitting a pot hole. Are these bikes that fragile that common road bumps would destroy the bike?
No dents in the wheels and the tires still hold air, frame doesn't seem to be damaged. The bike still rides straight.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I would replace it. You should be able to get a quick inspection from your dealer. I don’t see a reason to leave your bike until a replacement part is here and can be installed with an appointment.

If your denied the warranty claim, I would still get it replaced using a replacement of your choice.

I would ride the bike without worry until your replacement is available and can be installed.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Now, the interesting part...... that was the left side, which is the "slop" side. With both left and right sides being the same part numbers for the tie rod parts, if you replace with a Traxxion Dynamics tie rod, switch sides putting Traxxion on the right (the solid side) and the OEM on the left replacing the failed boot. A Honda replacement under warranty would only replace the tie rod end (about a $40 part) and not the entire tie rod.

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
2020 DCT Touring with 16,000 miles on it.
I think it might be called a rubber boot, not sure though.
I was out riding today and hit a pretty good sized hole or bump in the road.

View attachment 375482
To me it looks like the suspension traveled past the limits of what it was designed to do. The cut in the boot looks like it was caused from collision with the steering arm, which under normal riding conditions, would never happen. I doubt Honda will cover that with a warranty claim. I recommend that the entire front and rear suspensions, tires, and wheels be inspected for possible other damage. Your coverage might come from your insurance company.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Left side is just a fail-safe.....
As mentioned get a Traxxion tie rod for the right and move the OEM right to the left side.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
What is so special about the Traxon that makes it better than oem?
Maintains published tie rod spec for the life of your bike....never wears or needs replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
I can see the logic of moving Honda's right tie-rod to the left, but I can't see the practical value. The Traxxion tie rod is going to outlast all of us.

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
What is so special about the Traxon that makes it better than oem?
'cause Max sez it is, ain't that 'nough?

prs

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
No harm in asking your dealer if he/she can get it covered. Honda warranty is limited to flaws in material, manufacture, or workmanship; so it is always "iffy".

prs

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Vendor
17,372 Posts
No harm in asking your dealer if he/she can get it covered. Honda warranty is limited to flaws in material, manufacture, or workmanship; so it is always "iffy".

prs
Plus they might give him "benefit of doubt !!!" Also, while there, his tires, wheels, and rear suspension needs further inspection to make sure everything else is ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts