GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does your GPS have rural addresses ? if so what GPS do u have ?

i have a iway 250c and most rural addresses around here including mine are not in it, put in a rural address and the message says "this address could not be found" kind of a big disappointment

my address
6037 wellington lake drive
rib lake wi 54470

it works fine for every in town address i have tried

·
Registered
624 Posts
If it runs off of Brehem Ave right before Stone Rd then mine has it.

My Garmin found it as Road, even though I entered the search criteria as Drive.

My Delorme USB gps using Delorme Street Atlas also has it.

My Magellan Meridian using Mapsend Streets calls it Road, instead of Drive.

Microsoft Streets and Trips found your address also, but changed it to Road, instead of Drive.

I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2730

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The sacred cow found 7301, but would not return 6037, even though I entered 6037. It also calls it a road. My database is '05. The map comes up in the same place the Zumo does.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS for the help folks

that 7301 address is what happens on my GPS when i put in 6037, somehow it automatically changes the address, i tried puting in some of my neighbors addresses on wellington and it comes up with "the address could not be found"

6037 where i actually live is 2 miles south of Brehm on wellington or close to 3 miles south of the spot Zumo picked,

seems odd that GPS can find any address i've tried in town but so far has not found one place i have tried out in the country

anyone tried it on a iway 500 ?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Cycledude, the sacred cow is the iWay 500c.

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David M. said:
Cycledude, the sacred cow is the iWay 500c.
thanks David

does anyone have any idea why the GPS's are not made to find rural addresses ? sure seems odd to me but then again maybe i just happen to live in an area thats not covered by address, guess i will have to do some more testing in different areas and see what happens

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
2610 found it with no problem.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's not the GPS, sort of. It's a combination of the address database and the search engine functions against that database. It's a young industry and the data is highly flexible. Addresses come and go and no one organization keeps up with it - not even the post office.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Just tried it on the Iway500 I got today(3rd one)picked it right up with no problem at all. 1834 miles from my kitchen. Tim

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Crap, it did go to the 7301 address. Tim

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shuckaduck said:
Crap, it did go to the 7301 address. Tim
Tim thanks for giving it a try and clarifying what happened, looks like they are all about the same

·
Registered
206 Posts
As with any other technology, you temper it with just a bit of human insight. My mapsource came up with the same results as others have posted - found the correct street but produce the 7301 address. If I were using my GPS to find this location, and did not have any other directions, then it would get me close enough to be successful. Next step, do it the old fashioned way :shock: . Start looking at house addresses or mailboxes until you find what you are looking for. :D

Carl

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
When doing a address search, my 2610 seems to work best when you enter the State first, the City second and finally the address. Don't ask me why...it just seems to like that sequence better.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote="cycledude
does anyone have any idea why the GPS's are not made to find rural addresses ? sure seems odd to me but then again maybe i just happen to live in an area thats not covered by address, guess i will have to do some more testing in different areas and see what happens[/quote]

The ability to find addresses on a GPS is limited to the address information provided by cities, townships, counties, and states. They have and control the road, street, and address information. Having some knowledge of those environments, I'm surpriesed that GPS's work as well as they do. Areas that are implementing Geographic Information Systems (GIS) find the same problems. While I would like things to be better, in the case of rural addresses I'm happy if they get me to the right road in the right general vicinity. Over time the GPS's will get better as the information they have available improves.
I have found other areas where the GPS has trouble finding exact addresses correctly. But the GPS gets me closer than any other method I've found. I'm not downplaying their shortcomings, I'm just looking at the glass as half full rather than half empty.
It's why I still use more than one mapping program and often still refer to paper maps. :lol:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Cycledude,

Dp you have the GPS coordinates for your address?

If so are they these?

N 45 deg.17.308'
W 90 deg.15.903'

On my Iway 500C these are the GPS coordinates it gives me with your address. Mine also comes up 7305 Wellington Lake Rd. when I put in the address you gave us.

My address is entirely wrong for me on my Iway, Streets and Trips, and Polecats GPS along with any Garmin unit you use. It is all in the way the Navteq has the info given to the other people. The address that the Iway will use for my address is over 35 years old.

Ross

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have the iWay500c. When I try to access some addresses for which I do not have a street or road name, e.g. HC66 Box 314, the gps returns that dreaded message, "this address could not be found." Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I might work around the problem, or am I just going to have to live with it and be content with getting "close" using a paper map?

Thanks. :)

Todd

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5Ross said:
Cycledude,

Dp you have the GPS coordinates for your address?

If so are they these?

N 45 deg.17.308'
W 90 deg.15.903'

On my Iway 500C these are the GPS coordinates it gives me with your address. Mine also comes up 7305 Wellington Lake Rd. when I put in the address you gave us.

My address is entirely wrong for me on my Iway, Streets and Trips, and Polecats GPS along with any Garmin unit you use. It is all in the way the Navteq has the info given to the other people. The address that the Iway will use for my address is over 35 years old.

Ross
Ross
i now have my yard marked as a waypoint so i can find my way home :wink: and the GPS says
N 45 deg 15.163
W 90 deg 15.165
altitude 1679 ft

that 7301 address is almost 3 miles north of my place on the same road

this GPS is pretty amazing stuff but i am disappointed that they don't have more rural addresses included , about 100 miles or so west of here the rural addresses do come up in the GPS just like in town

1 - 18 of 18 Posts