GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new RDL seat this fall/winter:yes:.

When I have riding pants on my boot heel sometimes slides across my seat when mounting/dismounting (I try not to but still happens sometimes). My current seat is full of scuff marks from this happening.

I am considering having my new RDL seat in full leather or leather inserts on the tops. How will leather stand up to boot rubs? Will it stand up better than vinyl?

In general how is a leather seat to those that have them? If you were getting a new custom seat what material would you pic?

Thanks much,
Dan

·
Registered
927 Posts
I am getting a new RDL seat this fall/winter:yes:.

When I have riding pants on my boot heel sometimes slides across my seat when mounting/dismounting (I try not to but still happens sometimes). My current seat is full of scuff marks from this happening.

I am considering having my new RDL seat in full leather or leather inserts on the tops. How will leather stand up to boot rubs? Will it stand up better than vinyl?

In general how is a leather seat to those that have them? If you were getting a new custom seat what material would you pic?
Vinyl, hands down. Leather is a maintenance headache. It needs to be periodically treated to not dry out, and maintain some water resistance. It still can get wet, and need to be dried carefully. It can stain.

The best vinyls, which are what a company like Russell uses, are nearly as stout as leather, and much easier to live with.

Leather can be useful in situations which demand the ultimate in strength for a given weight, like very high performance clothing. It has a certain esthetic appeal. But I prefer function over form, and for a seat cover, vinyl is more functional. Even if it scuffs a bit. Hopefully, the vinyl Russell uses will scuff less than the OEM stuff, where cost was a bigger factor in its choice.

I have a lovely old Thurlow deerskin jacket, and wear it occasionally, just because. But my day in and day out riding clothes are all synthetics.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I have an all-leather Russell on my 1500 (10 years now) and it has held up well and it suffers exactly the issue you mention; boot scuffs on mounting. I too try hard but it happens. I have had to take the seat to a shoe repair guy twice to have seems re-done as they seem to "tear". It is by far the ugliest seat ever made and also the most comfortable. I am an endurance rider so comfort trumps style.

I will say however the poster above is right about leather; vinyl is must less trouble to care for and I got vinyl on my 1800 seat (Ultimate King - wanted a Russell but did not have time to wait for it to be built). Leather wears better and as the years go by leather develops a sort of "character" where as vinyl just looks ugly but shorter-term vinyl is a better choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts