GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have previously ordered a RDL saddle for your Wing I have a couple of questions. (yes I've asked RDL, but I wanted to get consumer answers as well)

I believe I'm going to go with the rectangle pattern as it seems it looks closest to stock.

If you did rectangle pattern, did you recover the passenger/rider backrests?

If you didn't, do you wish you did?

For those that had a Utopia backrest and kept it. How did that work out for you?

Anyone have any reccomendations for a box to ship it to them in?

Thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the rectangular in black leather. Also recovered my Utopia and passenger backrests with same black leather. Used leather for seating surfaces and vinyl on the sides. Very happy with the outcome. As for a shipping box, I purchased two smaller boxes and made one large box for everything.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I had everything recovered in black leather.... and I am glad I did. I think the seat would not have looked as good otherwise. RDL also reworked the passenger backrest to let Leila sit up just a little straighter.

Wrinkles in the leather smoothed out after a couple weeks.

Didn't need a box myself, just rode the short 550 miles up to Lake Shasta on a Thursday evening and had the seat made and installed on Friday at Russell's...

RDL gave me a "loaner" seat while they worked on my seat and I rode around the local area as there is lots of good motorcycle roads nearby, stopped back by the shop around lunch time to do a trial fitting and then they wrapped it up by the end of the day.

Funny, the return ride home was well over 1,000 miles! Don't know how that happened :?: :shrug:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going with the Vinyl all the way around for it's durability. I can imagine the leather RDL would look dramatically different than the stock vinyl.

pshivers, it looks like your seating position was backed up a little bit. Does the exposed backrest get pressed up into you?

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I'm going with the Vinyl all the way around for it's durability. I can imagine the leather RDL would look dramatically different than the stock vinyl.

pshivers, it looks like your seating position was backed up a little bit. Does the exposed backrest get pressed up into you?
RDL moved me back about 2" and up 2", (I'm 6'5"). Backrest is highly adjustable and fits me very nicely. I have it adjusted for when I have my feet up on my Mick-O-Pegs and I am leaned back a bit. While riding on the standard pegs I don't touch the backrest at all unless I lean back quite a bit. Sure does make riding comfortable, (The RDL seat and the RDL backrest)! The exposed metal of the backrest does not touch me at all. It is nice having a backrest that moves up high enough to give me back support where I want it.

I've got 50,000 miles and 6 years on it now and it is about due for a recover and freshening up the padding abit. I may have RDL move me back a little more, so I can stretch my legs better. Leila does not ride with me anymore, so I may as well take all the room I need...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just my 2 cents... I went withthe minimum stitching available. Looks great. I had the leather top/vinyl sides. If I had it to do over I would go full leather. I am showing alot of wear at the point the sides and to come together. I have also had a problem with Grasshoppers eating the vinyl at a crease:nojoke:.
Would I buy another RDL? absolutely

greginky
iba#424

·
Registered
812 Posts
I had them recover the entire seat, backrest and Utopia in Vinyl and I stayed with the rectangle pattern. Most people never realize it is not the stock seat.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I've got the rectangle pattern with the velour inserts and the vinyl sides, including the driver and passenger backrests. Where I live and ride, the sun is merciless spring to fall, and the velour is so very much more comfortable than vinyl or leather. I bought the seat cover that can be placed over the velour if and when it rains, which is seldom and since last September, almost never!

This is my third RDL seat. First was on a Yamaha RSV (rectangular pattern), second on a GL1500 trike (had the large diamond pattern), and now on a GL1800 trike (back to the rectangular pattern). That should tell you what I think of these seats/saddles. I spent quite a bit of money and time coming to the RDL, and rode lots of different seats, including some home remodeled jobs. For me there is no other, and the cost is well worth the comfort of the ride, plus the durability of the seats. My wife and I would have no other!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've been talking with the folks at Russell and have a bit of a conundrum.

Part of my wish list for the seat is to move it back slightly. I'd guess an inch or so. It seems that if I want to keep the Utopia backrest they cannot move the seat rearward any.

They can use their backrest but it costs $240 putting my total for the seat to roughly $1055, up from $815. That's a pretty big jump. Granted I'm not paying for it, my SO is, it still does give me a bit of heartburn.

Anyone keep their Utopia and wish they would have gone the RDL backrest option???

·
Registered
889 Posts
ACDNate,

I can't answer that question for you. Not sure anybody else can either! I personally have bought the RDL driver's backrest for each of the three seats I purchased from them. You could definitely get the seat pocket moved rearward without interfering with the RDL backrest. In my case, my interest was to sit higher rather than farther rearward. I have actually cut and shaped two pieces of 3/8" thick plywood (it's what I had on hand to try when I did this, and I tried one piece first and then added a second .. after they worked, I spray painted 'em black and have continued to use them) to fit in the backrest channel to keep it from sliding as far back as it can. That brings the backrest more comfortably toward my back for me.

I have back issues and so this is a personal adjustment that I have made. I would say this ... yes, it costs a bit more money to add the RDL backrest, but it will allow you to have the seat pocket moved rearward. How big a deal is that to you ... to YOU? If it is important for your riding comfort and pleasure, I believe I can assure you that you will not miss the extra money after having it built to your specs. However, if you get the seat and use your Utopia, and your mind tells you you could be farther back every time you ride, that will be a far more difficult thing to get over than the initial expense for the RDL backrest.

I mostly don't think about what these seats have cost me ... I just ride and smile, all day long!!! I had to ride my '06 on some day long rides with the OEM seat in place while waiting my turn for my seat to be built. That seat wasn't terrible, but the aftermarket backrest that was also mounted was terrible. I had to hustle to scrounge up the money for yet another RDL saddle, but let me tell you that when I got it mounted and began to ride it all day long, it was cheap at twice the price!

Since you are getting the seat you want, my advice is to get the seat you want. Somebody will buy that Utopia from you to somewhat offset the cost of the RDL. And even if they don't, if the new seat works out for you as I suspect it will, it won't really matter much. Even if you have to add the money to what your wife will pay, it will still be worth the cost. She will be happy aboard and so will you, or I miss my guess!!!

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
ACDNate,

I can't answer that question for you. Not sure anybody else can either! I personally have bought the RDL driver's backrest for each of the three seats I purchased from them. You could definitely get the seat pocket moved rearward without interfering with the RDL backrest. In my case, my interest was to sit higher rather than farther rearward. I have actually cut and shaped two pieces of 3/8" thick plywood (it's what I had on hand to try when I did this, and I tried one piece first and then added a second .. after they worked, I spray painted 'em black and have continued to use them) to fit in the backrest channel to keep it from sliding as far back as it can. That brings the backrest more comfortably toward my back for me.

I have back issues and so this is a personal adjustment that I have made. I would say this ... yes, it costs a bit more money to add the RDL backrest, but it will allow you to have the seat pocket moved rearward. How big a deal is that to you ... to YOU? If it is important for your riding comfort and pleasure, I believe I can assure you that you will not miss the extra money after having it built to your specs. However, if you get the seat and use your Utopia, and your mind tells you you could be farther back every time you ride, that will be a far more difficult thing to get over than the initial expense for the RDL backrest.

I mostly don't think about what these seats have cost me ... I just ride and smile, all day long!!! I had to ride my '06 on some day long rides with the OEM seat in place while waiting my turn for my seat to be built. That seat wasn't terrible, but the aftermarket backrest that was also mounted was terrible. I had to hustle to scrounge up the money for yet another RDL saddle, but let me tell you that when I got it mounted and began to ride it all day long, it was cheap at twice the price!

Since you are getting the seat you want, my advice is to get the seat you want. Somebody will buy that Utopia from you to somewhat offset the cost of the RDL. And even if they don't, if the new seat works out for you as I suspect it will, it won't really matter much. Even if you have to add the money to what your wife will pay, it will still be worth the cost. She will be happy aboard and so will you, or I miss my guess!!!
Excellent Advice!

I went with the RDL backrest and am very happy. I did have a Kuryakyn backrest that just was not built for someone of my taller than average height, so the decision was easy for me and I was able to sell the Kuryakyn to someone on this board.

I bought a brand new 1975 VW Rabbit and did not order it with A/C, did nothing but kick myself for that decision and finally had the A/C installed within a year, (Great car! Had 180,000 trouble free miles until it got awarded to my Ex, who promptly destroyed it driving drunk over all the parking lot logs at the local bar's parking lot.)

It would have been much cheaper to order the A/C at the time I bought the car. (A/C was still a Dealer Installed option for VW back then).

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input.

Talking to the little lady about it, she mentioned that with exception to the longest days we've been on the bike, that she doesn't think I actually use the backrest. This I didn't realize, although I was somewhat underwhelmed by the backrest when I got it.

I sent off another email to the RDL folks to see if the back rest is something I can add later on if I decide I want it.

However, if you get the seat and use your Utopia, and your mind tells you you could be farther back every time you ride, that will be a far more difficult thing to get over than the initial expense for the RDL backrest.
The above quote strikes home the most. While I don't absolutely require the move backwards, it would be nice. I've only got a 34" inseam so it's not like my knees are in the dash, but they are closer than I'd like.

If RDL says I can add it later, I'm going to skip it for now and see how it goes from there.

Thanks again for all the input.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got the RDL (vinyl with grey velour inserts, large diamon pattern) last week for my GL1800. 4 years ago I had vertabra-fusion back surgery to fix a broken back, and 1 year later I was riding again. Problem was I couldn't do the long distance rides anymore that my husband and I so enjoy.
Russell custom fit the seat for my mere 5'7" 130 body, adding extra cushion in the lower stock backrest. This pushed me forward a little (wanted it), but it meant that I couldn't use my Utopia backrest. My husband and I swapped backrests, and now I use his old adjustable one. We agreed that since this would most likely be a one-time deal, we'd get everything recovered. So glad, cuz it looks beautiful!
Though it'll need a slight adjustment in the thigh area, the ride home (250 miles) was the most comfortable in YEARS! Riding back pains are a thing of the past.
Remember: It may be a large investment in your bike, but it'll be custom fit to your body, and that alone is worth every penny!

Ride it like you stole it!
-Nestles & BB

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts