GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, this is going to start a MILE long quorum on seat selection.

What I want to know is there anyone who has an '06 w/Comfort seats who has converted to a Russell (Day-Long) with a backrest and has also included the passenger backrest so the pattern of your new seat matches?

I was told an additional $75 to convert the Honda wiring to the new seat.

Curious on the seat quality and overall satisfaction.

Want to order one.

Thanks. :wink:

·
Banned
350 Posts
I do not have my day-long for the 1800 yet but it is coming...

I have a day-long on my 1500 and while it is definately the ugly-contest winner it is also far and away the most comfortable seat I have owned. Worth every penny. The stitching has started to tear after many years but other than that it is top-quality.

·
Registered
280 Posts
While I am sure that for you guys that are in shape the Russell seat is very good, but today I switched wings with a friend of mine and we rode each others bikes for about 200 miles of our 400 mile trip, (I am 5'10" and 250 lbs) and i have a new Corbin Master seat and he has a Russell.
now maybe im just used to Corbins because that is what I have had on my last 2 Ultra Classics, but after those 200 miles I was glad to get back on my Corbin. For me, I would have to call them Russell Long Day Seats as the support I am accustomed too was just not there. Not that it was a bad seat just didnt get the support that I need.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Your just used to Corbins because that is what you have had on your last 2 Ultra Classics. Of course, another factor could be how old the Russell seat your friend has and when it was made. Just in the past year Russell has made some significant changes in how they are making their seat for the GL1800Wing and it's also vastly improved from their seats before. I will say Russell's customer service is pretty hard to beat and in most cases has rated much higher than Corbin's who have generally not gotten much praise from many Corbin owners on this and other GL1800 boards over the years (obviousy not all, but many many)......

DaleC

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
The type of support that will make you happy also depends on a variety of variables:
1- length of limbs
2- proportion of fat to lean mass on the limbs
3- flexiblility
4- preferred riding position

I have proportionally longer legs than torso. I have a long history of weight lifting and am pretty tall. For me, a Corbin Seat is a Nazi torture machine that will get me to reveal national secrets after only 50 miles.
DDKing had converted his Diamond into a Russell; he loved it. The seat felt funky to me and let too much of my thigh muscle dangle. He's about 1.5" shorter than me and not as leggy...
For me, it's Diamond. Their off-the-shelf seat wasn't the ticket but they were able to build a seat to my specs. It wasn't easy for them; I'm sure if you called Mike at Diamond he'd explain the engineering difficulty... ...but they did it.
Russell makes a beautiful seat though and it's quite functional. If it's the right shape for you and puts you in the right postion, I'm sure you'll be happy with the job they do with the comfort items. They've always seemed like a company that prides itself by doing the right thing for riders.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have the russell on my 06 comfort

russell did build it with the factory honda heat wires

so the heated grips now work as well

it was $75 to have them work the wires and plugs in

i also sent them my 06 heated pass backrest, so they could recover it to match the rest of the seat

i have about 3000 miles on the new seat, and it seems fine

i had them move it back from stock and also higher from stock, all at no extra charge

·
Registered
973 Posts
You could not run fast enough to give me a Russell Day-Long seat! I went that route and got screwed royally. I'm out easily a thousand dollars and I ended up giving the seat way for free. Not only was it the worst motorcycle seat I have ever sat on, seriously, but also the fit was horrible with large gaps along the sides and where it meets the top shelter.

Hey, before you start flaming...I went to Shasta and had it made for me while I was there. I took it home and later returned it for some tweaks and it came back worse. I rode back down to Shasta (600 miles one way) and had it re-done while I waited. It felt lumpy and strange but they said, "Give it 1000 miles to break in". By the time I got home I was almost in tears and the damn thing never did break in. I put about 1500 miles or so on it then I sent it back one more time and when it returned it had large gaps along both sides and where it meets the shelter. It didn't come down far enough on the sides to hide the top of the side panels! What an ugly P.O.S. Do you think I got my money back? Absolutely not, nada, nyet, no way and then, for some reason, they didn't even want to talk to me. So much for their much touted "Money back guarantee". I think that Terry Bradford is a lying you know what. Here is a quote from their website, "But there simply is no other product so well designed and carefully made that we absolutely Gaurantee [sic] it to solve your seating problems, both driver and passenger, or your money back!" Caveat Emptor my friends, Caveat Emptor.

I gave the seat free to a lady with a trike and told her that if she didn't like it she could give it away or throw it in the garbage. It looks like hell on her trike with the gaps all around. I don't know what she did with it.

If you have a Russell product and are happy with it then I say good for you. There are a lot of happy customers out there. I don't have a problem with that at all. If you are thinking of purchasing a custom seat my recommendation is to go with someone else. That is based on my personal experience. The staff at Russell are nice people, don't get me wrong, they are not out to screw anyone but if you ask for your money back expect a definite change in attitude from the boss. At that point you are screwing with his money. If you get a bad seat, and it does happen, you might not be satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Probably the reason I like my Corbins is that I suffer from Fatassitis and find the support from the wy they make their seats work s best for me.

I personally am also more comfortable sitting on a hard bech with a small pad than on a couch that I sink into. Also the seats design allows me to be a little more aggresive in adjusting my weight distribution in the twisties.

There are many fine aftermarket seats out there and the best one is the one that makes you, the rider, happiest.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mad Meteor said:
You could not run fast enough to give me a Russell Day-Long seat! I went that route and got screwed royally. I'm out easily a thousand dollars and I ended up giving the seat way for free. Not only was it the worst motorcycle seat I have ever sat on, seriously, but also the fit was horrible with large gaps along the sides and where it meets the top shelter.

Hey, before you start flaming...I went to Shasta and had it made for me while I was there. I took it home and later returned it for some tweaks and it came back worse. I rode back down to Shasta (600 miles one way) and had it re-done while I waited. It felt lumpy and strange but they said, "Give it 1000 miles to break in". By the time I got home I was almost in tears and the damn thing never did break in. I put about 1500 miles or so on it then I sent it back one more time and when it returned it had large gaps along both sides and where it meets the shelter. It didn't come down far enough on the sides to hide the top of the side panels! What an ugly P.O.S. Do you think I got my money back? Absolutely not, nada, nyet, no way and then, for some reason, they didn't even want to talk to me. So much for their much touted "Money back guarantee". I think that Terry Bradford is a lying you know what. Here is a quote from their website, "But there simply is no other product so well designed and carefully made that we absolutely Gaurantee [sic] it to solve your seating problems, both driver and passenger, or your money back!" Caveat Emptor my friends, Caveat Emptor.

I gave the seat free to a lady with a trike and told her that if she didn't like it she could give it away or throw it in the garbage. It looks like hell on her trike with the gaps all around. I don't know what she did with it.

If you have a Russell product and are happy with it then I say good for you. There are a lot of happy customers out there. I don't have a problem with that at all. If you are thinking of purchasing a custom seat my recommendation is to go with someone else. That is based on my personal experience. The staff at Russell are nice people, don't get me wrong, they are not out to screw anyone but if you ask for your money back expect a definite change in attitude from the boss. At that point you are screwing with his money. If you get a bad seat, and it does happen, you might not be satisfied with the outcome.

my experience with russell is just about a carbon copy. although, confort and support wise, it is very good. finish detailing sucks, and I too rode in three times to the factory, paid extra money for that. sent it twice by mail and never got a good cosmetic fit around the edges and top shelter. dont know why this is. I have seen some russell seats finished as good as factory, and others suck big time. it became a lesson in futility trying to get it properly fixed. russell, you need to improve.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wing Soft

Half the price and full money back guarantee.

Got mine in June this year and rode some 500 and 600 mile days on our trip to Nashville.

http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/

This guy is also a Texan operates out of Austin, all I can say is check out his website give him a call.

Hopefully you will find a solution.

David

·
Registered
682 Posts
Another 2 cents; I have a Diamond and a Russell. Still working with both of them on changes. I am 6' 5" (fat 335 lbs), and still can not get comfortable on the bike. Diamond off the shelf was too wide in front, had to lift my rear off the seat to get my legs down at stops. The Diamond is due back this week with changes. The Russel is a beautiful seat. Amazing craftmanship. I got all leather with heat and backrest, the fit and finish is amazing. Their backrest mechanism is really nice and can be adjusted on the fly. The only problem with the Russel as it first came is they moved me forward and down a bunch from the pictures I sent them. I spent a few days with the cover off my stock seat, cutting out the pieces behind me and adding various layers of padding till I had it just right. Before I sent them the seat I asked one of their workers if they could get me back and up that far and he said there would be no problem. I got the seat and it wasn't even close. They have offered to raise me up a bit so once I get the Diamond back I will be sending the Russell back in for modifications. Maybe I should go on a diet :roll:

Bill

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the russell for the 06 comfort package. I have a very lean a$$ and I think that is a problem with the seat. I have gone back to have it adjusted and the seat is just too hard for comfort. It is 300 miles to have adjusted again so I adjusted the fit myself with a sanding disc. It fits me just right but still have pressure pain in certain spots because of the hardness of the foam. I have taken a 3/4 in piece of foam and put in on the inside of a long wool seat cover and it works very well. I also added highway pegs so I can change position.

I have ridden 550 mile days now and no problem but I won't buy another Russell. If you have a lean butt you probably don't want to go there. Guys with a little more padding seem to like them.

After spending 1000 dollars, not including two trips to Redding and motel rooms, I wish I would have just reworked the stock seat.

Good luck on your descision.

By the way the people were nice to deal with. No problems there.

·
Registered
759 Posts
oh yeah, I forgot one thing. when people ask me what kind of seat I have, I say Russell. then I ask them, would you buy one? answer, not even. with the bad press russell is getting, you would think he would do sumtin about it. hmmmm.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
BillsGW said:
Another 2 cents; I have a Diamond and a Russell. Still working with both of them on changes. I am 6' 5" (fat 335 lbs), and still can not get comfortable on the bike. Diamond off the shelf was too wide in front, had to lift my rear off the seat to get my legs down at stops. The Diamond is due back this week with changes.
Bill
Funny. One man gathers what another man spills.
I got my Diamond and had them modify it 3 times to make it higher and wider. I'm also 6'5" @280 lbs but a bit leaner and long-legged.
I also have Traxxion springs at both ends now and the bike's altitude is ponderous; even I have to reach for the ground.
But the pegs don't scrape much now and I'm comfortable.

There's no one answer for seats.

·
Banned
350 Posts
This is the first bad press I have see on the Russell (admittedly I have not really looked for any) and frankly I am concerned. I have http://www.ultimateseats.ca on my 1800 and while I like it; it is not as good as the Russell on the 1500. I had every intention of sending my OEM seat to Russell this week. Now I am paused and re-thinking my options.

The Russell seat on my 1500 is the only seat I have ever sat on that gets me through really long days, like 22 hours. I am a long distance rider so this is important to me.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Like Bill (ArnButt) said above, seats are individual. Here in the sticks I don't have an opportunity to test ride stuff, so I guess I am doomed to spending money and time and postage and frusration until I find what is right for me. On the Classifieds page there is a 6ft. 10inch, 400 lb rider that is selling a Diamond that didn't work for him. He had a Corbin on his previous GW and is going to try another one. Hmmmm. Arn't the Corbins supposed to be rock hard? Repeat after me "its only money." :wink:

Bill

·
Registered
759 Posts
yeh, it is only money, but around $800 my cost to russell is too much money not to have an excellent product. plus the fact, russell had ample oportunities to make it right and both couldnt and didnt. so, I suffer with a seat that is very comsmetically ugly. the actual performance of the seat itself is fine. no complaints there. I can ride 1,000 mile days, day after day which I couldnt do with the stock seat. btw, I have a 02. I still wouldnt buy another. his offer of returning your seat to stock conditions is not true. he self admitted he didnt have the material and equipment to do that. it is pretty obvious he cant, look at his custom seat...duh. product speaks for itself. just look at a few.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts