·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6th UPDATE Russell Group Buy? 11/3

The Group Buy Is On.
I am Closing the Russell Group Buy Now

• Details:
Russell will accept 125 Group Buy Orders. That means the first 125 combined names I have from both forums are in. That does not necessarily mean that if you name is past 125 that you are out. There will undoubtedly be folks in the first 125 that back out.
  • Order Dates:
The Group Buy will be open from December 5th through December 9th only. No exceptions. Orders placed before or after those dates will not be accepted in the Group Buy. I will send in my entire list of all 176 names with the dates they signed up. Then, sometime between 12/5 & 12/9, you will have to fill out the Russell order form online and write “2012 Group Buy” in the Production Date space. After your online order is placed you will get a return email from Russell with your production date.
  • Production Dates:
Your seat will be scheduled for production in January 2012. Again, no exceptions allowed. You may only order seating for one bike, any brand.
  • Cancellations
If you no longer want in, please cancel as early as possible for the benefit of others higher on the list. This Group Buy will go quickly.

Again, here is the link to the Russell site http://www.day-long.com/
Please remember I am only the messenger here. I do not work for Russell. Do not PM me with order questions. Typically, in the past, once you have placed your order and get a production date, you can then get material samples and other details sorted out.

I am trying to figure out how I can let you know where you stand without sending 176 PM’s. .. more to follow later.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Was done about 18 months ago. Got one, not 100% happy, but not bad enough to pay out another $150 round shipping cost. figure someday I will get out to California and maybe stop in for twik. Beleive we got up to 20% off, or at least 15%.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Group Buy

Call Russell direct and ask them about a group buy. If you get in early enough you could be a coordinator and start your own. If not they will give you a contact of a group already started. They only do two or three each winter. They will not start a new group until the most current group fills its "quota".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody interested in a great seat?

I am not going to go on here and extol the virtues of a Russell Day Long Seat. They are what they are.

I spoke with the folks at Russell. They will do a group buy @ 20% off, if there are enough buyers. They don't do it until the off season, which begins around October.

Do we have about 20, or more, members that are interested?

http://www.day-long.com/index.html

TA

·
Registered
405 Posts
I got mine last time we had a group buy. We had more than the minimum required to buy and I think we may have had to cut off those interested.
I would think you would get enough interest.

I am very happy with the seat. I would do leather if I had to do it again.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Got mine in a Group Buy last year - very pleased!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have Mustang seats on my Wing. Fairly happy with it, but it's not as comfortable as the Mustang seats I had on my VTXs. Never sat on a Russell Day Long.

Anyone had both and can tell me their opinion of one versus the other?

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

Do you have to send them your old seat or do they provide a complete seat? I wouldn't want to be 'out of service' while waiting for my seat to come back.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Count me in with the group buy.

And, yes, Russell uses the seat pan from your current seat. Might be worth keeping your eye out for a cheap stock seat in order to have a seat pan to ship 'em...

Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Group Buy Protocol

To keep things simple here, just send me a PM if you want to get in on a group buy for a Russell seat.

If you have any questions about the seat, or it's comfort, or Russell policy and methods, see their website: http://www.day-long.com/index.html

To summarize:
If you want to discuss the seats please do it in the forum.
If you want in on a possible group buy send me a PM.

I will keep you updated as we progress.

Thanks,
TA

·
Registered
758 Posts
How much are the seats, I can't find a price for the options offered, I am interested, depending on price.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How much are the seats, I can't find a price for the options offered, I am interested, depending on price.
Roughly about 1200,depending on options and type of cover,vinyl or leather,but remember the russell will change your riding position by raising the seat height by about 1.5 inches.Then once your seat is made for you,it may need adjustments which you will pay shipping back and fourth.I use the Corbin which lowers you on the seat,which is ok for someone with shorter legs.For me the Corbin works i can handle the bike better being a little lower,not so top heavy so to say.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sure now you set up a group buy, my build date is this Friday!

Mine is going to be around $850. Black Vinyl no recovering of the factory passenger backrest(RDL said it matches pretty well), HD rider springs, retain GL heated seats.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sure now you set up a group buy, my build date is this Friday!

Mine is going to be around $850. Black Vinyl no recovering of the factory passenger backrest(RDL said it matches pretty well), HD rider springs, retain GL heated seats.
I was able to get in on the last "Group Buy". I got mine for $779 plus the cost of shipping the old seat. USPS was the least expensive. With Backrest, Cover, HD Spring and Heat transfer. Yes the Bike was down while they had the seat but that's why I have the IS.
Gotta love the Group buys.

·
Registered
489 Posts
nanaimowinger:

Not sure why you're stating that the Russell sits you higher? The whole idea of a Russell seat is the custom build for the rider and passenger...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Group Buy Updtae

Well, unless the 5 folks that want a custom Russell seat system at 20% off (6 including me) don't start some pushing on this issue, it isn't going to happen. We need about 20 more buyers.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I kicked myself for not getting in on the last deal. I am IN on this one. Hope it happens....just the excuse I've been waiting for. PM sent.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nanaimowinger:

Not sure why you're stating that the Russell sits you higher? The whole idea of a Russell seat is the custom build for the rider and passenger...
I think they (Russell) will tell you that any seat they make is going to be about an inch higher. They tear everything apart and install an actual spring in there. I know this may sound contrary to what you think your butt wants to feel, but when you get in a Russell it is a much firmer feel and not the soft "squish" you feel as you settle in and sink into a stock seat. The thing is, that soft and plush "squish" is what bothers some folks (like me) after 100 - 150 miles, and makes my ass sore and my thighs ache.

On the other hand, there are probably few people that can't take an extra inch on a Wing.

When I order this one, it will be my third (three different bikes).

1 - 20 of 256 Posts