GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my Russell seat and installed it yesterday then went out for a ride today......
As expected an awesome seat upgrade and very comfortable for the long haul, just like the one I had on my BMW K1600.

I went with the Sunbrella/Vinyl which I had on my BMW and love it........cool in the summer and not cold in cool riding months.
I supplied RDL with an embroidery pattern for the Goldwing emblem and had them stitch it on the passenger backrest.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Very nice I like the color scheme you did, what is it. I am curious does the sunbrella material have a canvas feel to it? I have considered this material.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice I like the color scheme you did, what is it. I am curious does the sunbrella material have a canvas feel to it? I have considered this material.
Cover Material: Vinyl with Sunbrella Inserts
Cover Color: Black
Insert Color: Sunbrella SLATE 4684-0000

Sunbrella started out being used for awnings and canopy materials.......its now used in many applications like upholstery, chairs, cushions, drapes, etc. Very durable material in a ton of colors.........I guess canvass would be a good comparison as far as feel goes......although it's not as rough as a person would envision when comparing it to canvas.

I spray it every 2-3 months with Sunbrella 303 to retain water repellent properties

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have a 12 GW and an appt with RDL for my 3rd seat from them in 2 weeks. I will be riding in.

I've been considering grey on the seat. Thanks for posting your pics - very helpful for my decision process :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Very Nice!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a beautiful setup. Is my aging eyes or did misalign the embroidery? Looks higher on the right side. Regardless thats very nice!
Nope....it’s perfectly aligned.
Jay even sent me a picture right after they finished the backrest and they had chalk alignment marks all over the place to make sure.

I sure like the way it all turned out...... always a gamble on color combos, and also the custom embroidery.

RDL is a top notch company IMHO

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Nicely done Brian!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have never heard any feedback on the Sunbrella. Since you have experience how does that material compare in durability? Any tips on care? Its beautiful and looks soooo comfortable. I have had a few RDL seats and they are worth every penny and time waiting.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never heard any feedback on the Sunbrella. Since you have experience how does that material compare in durability? Any tips on care? Its beautiful and looks soooo comfortable. I have had a few RDL seats and they are worth every penny and time waiting.
I like it a lot......
No special care other than wiping it down with a damp cloth occasionally.........and spraying it down with some 303 every few months to help with water repellency.
Very comfortable......doesn't give you that "Hot seat" or "Cold seat" feeling that vinyl or leather can.
I would avoid very light colors as they will more than likely show dirt after time.

Many have inquired about the build sheet.....here is mine for reference with personal information removed (including my wife's weight). :laugh:

Ship To: Brian Fenner
Street Address:
City & State:
Zip Code:
Home Phone:
Work Phone:
Email Address:
Production Date:
Driver Height: 5' 10"
Driver Weight: 155
Driver Inseam: 32
Driver Waist: 32
Passenger Height: 5' 5"
Passenger Weight:
Passenger Inseam:
Passenger Waist: ?
Bike Make: Honda
Bike year: 2019
Bike Model: Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
Bike Color: Red/Black
Bike Modifications: NA
Seat Position: Not Adjustable
Box Position: Not Adjustable
Ordering Notes: NA
Item Price Code: S-4
Item Solo/Dual: Dual
Item Type: Day-Long
Cover Material: Vinyl with Sunbrella Inserts
Cover Color: Black
Insert Color: Sunbrella SLATE 4684-0000
Side Color: ?
Quilting Pattern: Rectangles
Driver Suspension: No
Passenger Suspension: Yes
Built-In Drivers Backrest: No
Drivers Backrest Pouch: No
Recover Existing Drivers Backrest: No
Recover Existing Drivers Backrest Price Code:
Recover Passenger Backrest: Yes
Recover Passenger Backrest Price Code: B-3
Heating Solo/Dual:
Retain Stock OEM: Dual
Rain Covers: No
Existing Saddle:
Sending Images: I will be sending image with this Order Form
Embroidery Design: Yes
Delay Sending Seat: Yes
Sub-Total: See below
CA Residents add Tax: 0

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Brian, what was your total cost?
If ya have to ask..... :grin2:

Mine was not cheap, but it all depends on what you want done.
Its all priced out separately, as it should be.

I retained stock heat, had "suspension" in the passenger seat, custom embroidery, passenger backrest recovered and armrests recovered.
Approx $1200.

This bike is my retirement gift, so I'm going to deck it out as I desire.....so I can hopefully enjoy it for many years into retirement.
1.5 months to go, then I'm out! :clap2:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks Brian! I knew it would be at least that much! Soooo it’s about $1700 for us Canucks! Ouch!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments guys........I tried the heat a bit yesterday morning even though I didn't really need it.
Ooh yea, it works well......Could never run it on high setting that's for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brian, does this seat get your feet closer to the ground? My problem with my 2018 is I can't get both feet on the ground when stopped (30") inseam. Does anyone have a seat that plants your feet on the ground?

Thanks, Staush

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brian, does this seat get your feet closer to the ground? My problem with my 2018 is I can't get both feet on the ground when stopped (30") inseam. Does anyone have a seat that plants your feet on the ground?

Thanks, Staush
Nope.....Normally RDL seats will be a little higher than factory OEM seats.
I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam and can flat foot with the RDL on the Wing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Do they do the cutout for a backrest on this seat. I love the look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts