GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Audio Only GL1800. No heated seat, grips or foot warmers.

I purchased a used Russell seat from a fellow forum member. It is heated. It has a simple 2 wire connector that I hooked up to the accessory connection. One lighted switch on the side of the seat.
A pair of Red and black wires into the seat. Another pair go from the seat to the passenger backrest.

I can barely if at all feel any heat from the seat. The switch lights fine. So, tonight I took some readings, albeit with a Harbor Freight multimeter

All measurements were with the engine off, key in accessory position. I did not start the bike as I was in a closed garage.

12.7 volts. 2.3 amps draw. That equals 29 watts. If the engine is running at 14volts charging it would be 35 watts.

Resistance across the seat connections was 6.5 ohms. Across the backrest was 9.8 ohms.

29-35 watts seems so paltry. No? My heated jacket draws 90 watts. Typically grips draw 35 watts and all you are trying to heat up are hands. Not 2 butts and a back.

Opinions? Advice?

Years ago I had a Corbin heated seat on a BMW. It would make a rider uncomfortably hot on the butt in a short period of time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
35 watts should be plenty for your seat. I have a home made heated seat that is 35 watts. I crank it up to start, then turn it down to about 1/3. There is plenty of heat. Full blast would be painful after a short while.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
35 watts should be plenty for your seat. I have a home made heated seat that is 35 watts. I crank it up to start, then turn it down to about 1/3. There is plenty of heat. Full blast would be painful after a short while.
I did some googling and found several kits that can be added to a seat and they were about 30-35 watts. I will email Russell and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Russell was very helpful. Using the serial number they said only the passenger seat is heated.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
If momma ain't happy...……………

:grin2:

Reactions: charleetho

·
Registered
498 Posts
Russell was very helpful. Using the serial number they said only the passenger seat is heated.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk
Hey, you were correct! You did not have any heat. Thanks for the follow up.

Kudos to Russell for keeping such good records. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts