GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Russell saddle with leather inserts. Because of the leather I also bought their covers as I expect to cover the saddle when riding or parked in rain. The problem is that I can't get the cover to slide in under the front of the saddle between the saddle and the tupperware.

I sent an email to Russell today but I expect that this is not a new complaint to them and they don't have a fix. Has anyone come up with anything to address this problem?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Sorry, I don't have anything of value to offer you. I just want to put my 2 cents worth in about Russell in general. I have posted many times here and on other boards about my mis-adventure with Russell and I'm sorry to see that they may have chalked up another unhappy customer. I hope your seat is comfortable and I hope they are able to help you but I don't think their track record is very good. If you keep your leather seat conditioned then sitting out in the weather once in a while should not hurt it. If you keep it outside most of the time you do need to keep it covered.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meteor, I'm not an unhappy customer although I am disappointed that they couldn't come up with anything better than this cover. I won't know if I'm a happy customer until next spring when I will ride the bike again.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'm a happy RDL customer as are the vast majority of their clients. I have their saddle cover and it fits just fine. The problem is not caused by RDL but by differences in the stock seats. Some fit tightly, some leave more space. I've noticed the differences in Honda showrooms. I would assume that by sending it back, they would adjust the saddle for you, but that would be another $70 or so for shipping.

I know that doesn't help you solve the problem.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Crossrodes said:
I just bought a Russell saddle with leather inserts. Because of the leather I also bought their covers as I expect to cover the saddle when riding or parked in rain. The problem is that I can't get the cover to slide in under the front of the saddle between the saddle and the tupperware.

I sent an email to Russell today but I expect that this is not a new complaint to them and they don't have a fix. Has anyone come up with anything to address this problem?
Do not email Russell just call them, they are always slow in responding due to the voulme of emails. Call Katie and tell here. If the cover is like the Hondaline seat cover they are hard to slide under the Russell seat expecially if its new.

The best I can explain to get the cover under the nose, use a sawing motion from side to side why gently pulling it back. Do not force it.

I would call Katie first.

FWIW I have delt with Russell for many years and they are a stand up company, the only problem is that they are small with a large customer base. Making a custom saddle for sombody using photos is a touch call. I wish I lived closer to them as I would ride in and have the seat built why I was there.

John

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info DD. I won't send the saddle back for that reason so I think maybe I'll get my wife to remove some of the elastic in that area to reduce the thickness of the cover. JR sawing back and forth doesn't work, the material is just too thick as it's wrapped around the elastic.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Crossrodes said:
...The problem is that I can't get the cover to slide in under the front of the saddle between the saddle and the tupperware....
While I won't speak for Russell, I think I understand your problem...a tight fit between the horn of the saddle and the top-shelter is preventing you from wedging the rain cover in place. Over time, you will come to appreciate the tight fit as it helps hold the rain cover in place and reduces the likelihood of water seeping under the saddle.

I’ve had two Russell seats and here’s what I’ve learned to do:

Step one...gently place your fingertips between the seat cover and the top-shelter and pull back. You should be able to create some space between the two. If so, release and the seat should return and touch the shelter. I use this step just to see if there's sufficient padding on the horn. If there’s room, go to next step…

Step two…grasp the front center of the rain cover with both hands and gently pull until the elastic is taut. Now, with the cover stretched, begin working the cover between the seat and shelter. This action will resemble using dental floss. The rain cover should begin to work its way between the seat and shelter and you should be able to get as much as two or three inches below the seat line.

Step three…with the front of the rain cover in place, begin working the rest of the rain cover under the seat’s edge down towards the side panels.

Note…I generally stop here and fit the rain cover over the rear of the seat. Then I finish fitting the cover over the rest of the seat.

The rain cover does require some practice to install. But after a couple of times, I found I could install it in less than a minute.

Hope that helps…

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DT thanks for the advice. I just went out and tried your technique but couldn't get it to work. I'll try it again a few times when I can get another pair of hands into the task. I think you're right though, If I can get the cover in between the horn and the tupperware it will hold it in place.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wes I have a half cover. The cover I have from Russell can be used while you are not riding or can be used when you are riding to keep the leather dry. It's the second use I have in mind.

·
Registered
633 Posts
HELL FIRE SON,
what's this COVERING thing all about? Your butt should do a fine job!
I have done over 375,000.00 miles on a Full Leather version with one repair at the 200,000.00 mile mark. That was due to wearing out the seat internals since I increased the weight to girth measurement!

The leather was reused as it was still good.

Use Doc Baileys Leather Black after about a year worth of riding and you will be good to go.
And for the record, another seat from Russell lasted 4 years while stationed in San Diego, CA; OUTSIDE! Plenty of salty air and the occasional rain didn’t bother it at all.
Just keep up maintenance with the aforementioned product.
For the past decade, I have had to deal with the snow country of “Cowhamsha” and still the seat made it. No dry-rot or problems.

Just remember the cows don’t "COVER" when it rains….. so why should you?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Cdog my butt won't cover two seats. :D

Butt how do you keep your but dry when your seat and the foam inside is all wet? :roll:

·
Registered
633 Posts
crossroads asks:
Butt how do you keep your but dry when your seat and the foam inside is all wet?

AEROSTICH & GORE-TEX!!!
remember ATGATT.
dont leave home without it!

cdog
ps; the foam dosent "Soak" up the rain. the Doc Bailey's is a great product.
rode thru the katrina hurricane from Maine to Denver and only managed wet gloves and a damp T-shirt collar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts