GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install some turn down tips. Left side I got two of the three bolts out without issue. The third one seems to be Ok, but I cant get the socket wrench on int...no clearance.

The right side. Nothing. So far two of the three bolts are pretty "welded" into place with rust and the third, I would have the same issue.

On the two really rusted ones, I have tried (actually on all of them) using WD40. have applied 3 separate shots of it about 4 hours apart. my vice grip pliers, just turn around the heads. Cant budge them.

So , looking for two things...one, something better than WD40 to penetrate the heads and what to use on those top two bolts since a socket wrench doesn't have clearance...

thanks in advance

dave

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
If a spot weld is in your wheelhouse, I broke 5 of six and decided to just spot weld the tips on. Doesn't take much and if you really need to remove grinding with a dremel will do the job.

If you buy a new bike, first thing to do is pull the tip bolts and apply anti-seize. if you wait -- too late.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Use a propane torch with a small tip and apply some heat to the bolt heads and spray some more penetrating oil. Repeat.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update :

Got in touch with a fellow rider - Bill. Thanks much!

it took him about 1/2 hour using an acetylene based small tipped torch to heat up and work off the four remaining bolts. I had used PBblaster on them every night for about a week and still couldn't get them to budge. About 5-7 minutes of heat per bolt (rough guess) and he was able to get each of them to twist out without breaking. 12 years of rust... :) He then used a tap and die set to make sure the threads were clear.

dave

·
Registered
418 Posts
Many years ago, when I was working for a 'After market shop supply' company. One of our trainers would always say: only 2 things are more over sold than WD 40, getting drunk and sex! Not to sure about the sex end, but the other is true for sure. WD 40 is not even close to being a good penetrating oil. Mostly because it's not oil. I will have to try the acetone and atf some day. Until PB blaster for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts