GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've installed the rivco hitch on my '06 and the tongue is not centered in the rear center section opening. It's not too bad, off by maybe 1/8 to 3/16, but I can't see where there could be any adjustment to be had. The hitch "hoop" fastens up front into the mounts for the rear subframe and that's the only place I could see that an adjustment would be possible. Have I missed something, is there any left-right adjustment?

I haven't buttoned anything up yet as I still have to make the electrical hookups to the isolator. It sure doesn't look to me like the isolator will fit in the amp box, does it really fit there?

By far and away the hardest part was getting the struts into position. Other than that bit of maneuvering, wiggling, and pushing the mechanical install was probably a 30-45 minute job.

B

·
0 Posts
Dale:

I don't recall any adjustments available for centering the hitch in the rear fender opening (but, I also didn't require any so I wasn't looking). I have heard others had some bent saddlebag frame rails that caused their hitch to look out of center so you might check yours for anything that appears to be out of place or bent. When the rear fender goes on things might look a little better, mine was a dead center fit and took no force at all to get the long front attachment arms into place along side each of the mufflers. The upper vertical support frame arms required moving numerous wires from around the upper frame to prevent pinched wires here. Don't assume the OEM wire location is good enough, if close or any doubt exists, move them! Make sure you check the trailer lights out before putting the rear fender on. I had to make changes. Not something you want to fool around doing twice. My rear fender was more trouble than the whole hitch install was.

I didn't have much wire length on the Wing wiring and, like you, I didn't think the isolator would fit inside the amp box so I pushed mine along the left side of the amp box and tie wrapped it into place. I brought my own 12 AWG ground wire from the battery along with a fused 12 AWG hot wire also directly from the battery to make up my 6 wire connection for my trailer harness. I connected the smaller ground wire from the isolator to one of the saddlebag frame bolts and used my larger 12 AWG ground wire for the trailer connector, same with the 12 AWG hot wire used for lighting and 12 volt accessory plug to the trailer.

Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
Hi Dale,

If you hadn't told us only you and your dog would have known. Mine is pretty much the same but, to date, no one has gotten down on their hands and knees to look at it and chastise me for the "error".

Since it makes zero difference regarding safety, or for that matter, aesthetics, I would let it concern you as much as it concerns your dog. :lol:

Here is wishing you a good safe summer of riding and HAPPY TRAILERING

·
Registered
192 Posts
Dale:

Mine was off a LITTLE also. Still fit reflector hole, but was not in the center.

I just took a dremmell tool and lengthened the Rivco mounting hole and used a star lock washer to lock it in place. Lengthen the hole that will move the hitch to center and add a star lock washer. Pull attachment bolt down tight (not too tight) and get on the road. Upper bracket mount hole may also need to be elongated; but mine was not. Using your out of center numbers, I doubt your upper mount bracket will need to be touched.

Have pulled my trailer several thousand miles, and no problem yet. Rivco was probably off by a few millimeters (a couple sixteenths), but every bike is different. Easy fix for those as anal as I am, especially when you don't have a dog. I let my cat look at it, and he saw no problem. ;) But I fixed it anyway!

·
Registered
661 Posts
My isolater fit in the amp box 2008 The hitch lined up straight.
And Yeah, those uprights were a pain.

(Thanks CoolHand) I read your install before and durring my install.

..............................................Don

·
Registered
661 Posts
2008 the auto editor wont let me type 8 and ) it thinks I wanted a 8)
now thats a grin............Don

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I was at an installation party for a Rivco hitch one afternoon and the hitch did not line up with the hole in the fender at all.

Then we noticed that it did line up the the center of the tire tread exactly, and that the fender did not.

Turned out that the bike had been hit and plastic replaced but not the steel, and the bags, and fender were off center.

Pays to know what the refererance is.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've installed the rivco hitch on my '06 and the tongue is not centered in the rear center section opening...

...It sure doesn't look to me like the isolator will fit in the amp box, does it really fit there?...
On my '06, it is slightly misaligned as well. The drawbars fit fine and it isn't noticeable once everything is in place. I don't like rattles so I tighten down the set screws each time I install the drawbar. The design could have been a little better because it is a real pain to get to the set screws every time.

The isolator barely fit in the amp box on mine when test fitting but I didn't like the way it was up against the amp. That air space is in that box to help cool the amp so I ended up sticking mine to the bottom of the trunk above the amp. My issue is with the wiring harness. I've now got so much hooked up to that harness by the amp that I suspect I'll need to do some surgery if I ever want to add anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts