GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going for years and years. Just to get in the frame of riding season coming. Gives a little break after seeing your bike covered in the corner of the dark garage....

It's been getting thinner and thinner the last few years, but this year finally did it for me. I won't be going again. We mostly went because my buddy wanted to see the new 2020 wing colors, but they only had two there (one DCT tour and one DCT non tour) so he didn't even get to see that. None of the bigger European makes (welll Ural was there, but I have zero interest in a Ural and I wouldn't consider them to be bigger brand...) No BMW, No Ducati, No Aprilla, no KTM. Zero was there at least...

And the vendor area was so thin. We walked the entire show in an hour and 20 minutes, which included spending 20-30 of those looking at the two wings. Used to take me 3 hours ish do to the whole show. Large amounts of the vendor area taken up by a big swath of custom bikes on display, vintage bikes and the Zero test track.

Plus the prices on a couple of things I checked on were not deals at all. In the past I was able to get decent deals on gear and accessories...

I'm pretty much done making the trek to Chicago for this and paying overpriced parking and admission. Not sure if it was better in other cities, but... Chicago was a sad reflection of previous years...

·
Registered
84 Posts
The generation of people who raised our hobby to its peak are dying off, and not be replaced. Its true in the classic car world, Harley world, and our Wing World. Our generation, and before, had an appreciation for this stuff that does not exist today in the young.....they are more interested in Bernie Sanders, free everything, and cell phones. Everything else to them is irrelevant. Glad I will be dead soon.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've been going for years and years. Just to get in the frame of riding season coming. Gives a little break after seeing your bike covered in the corner of the dark garage....

It's been getting thinner and thinner the last few years, but this year finally did it for me. I won't be going again. We mostly went because my buddy wanted to see the new 2020 wing colors, but they only had two there (one DCT tour and one DCT non tour) so he didn't even get to see that. None of the bigger European makes (welll Ural was there, but I have zero interest in a Ural and I wouldn't consider them to be bigger brand...) No BMW, No Ducati, No Aprilla, no KTM. Zero was there at least...

And the vendor area was so thin. We walked the entire show in an hour and 20 minutes, which included spending 20-30 of those looking at the two wings. Used to take me 3 hours ish do to the whole show. Large amounts of the vendor area taken up by a big swath of custom bikes on display, vintage bikes and the Zero test track.

Plus the prices on a couple of things I checked on were not deals at all. In the past I was able to get decent deals on gear and accessories...

I'm pretty much done making the trek to Chicago for this and paying overpriced parking and admission. Not sure if it was better in other cities, but... Chicago was a sad reflection of previous years...
Sorry to hear about that across in Chicago. We just had the Vancouver motorcycle show and it was hopping. It's not even in Vancouver to keep it cheaper for the exhibitors. You have to drive an hr almost from the city to get to a place called Abbotsford and every day it was packed.

The weather was crappy but this didn't deter people and we had all the Japanese and European manufacturers there including Royal Enfield from India (on a shop stand admittedly).

Biking doesn't seem to be dieing here thank God!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree, we drive 3 hours each way every year mostly to see the vendors and whats new in gear. When we started going years ago there were lots of local vendors with good deals on jackets, gloves, and other gear. Now nothing, I told my wife its really not worth the time and drive anymore. Although I did pick up a new Quin design helmet that I did not need. lol

·
Vendor
16,035 Posts
The same is true for WingDing. Every year the venders get thinner and thinner. As for deals, with the internet and the cost vender space, plus all the expenses to get there, you can't expect much of any deal anymore. Not to mention that the m/c industry has crashed hard.

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
It's a trend here in Southern California too (Long Beach). Although we had more big manufacturers than you did in Chicago, we had fewer than last year (which had fewer than the year before). Third-party vendors both big and small have gotten thinner and thinner year by year, too. For me much of the fun of these shows has been seeing the creativity, inventiveness, and manufacturing skills of small entrepreneurs. That's mostly gone from these shows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I received discount tickets in the mail for this show. I would travel 3 hours one way to attend and it would take longer to park, walk, then stand in line than enjoying the show. We attended last year, my entire family. It was OK but we were done in 45 minutes. That's OK, the kids live in Chicago now so I got to see them and it was my birthday present to me to attend and eat really great food nearby.
I enjoyed the custom bike show as did my family and one vendor was Confederate bikes which I loved seeing, meeting the new owner and really getting to dig into the designs.
I did enjoy seeing some brands and new models though. However, I must admit that I don't plan to weather the Chicago traffic to attend again. Maybe in Indianapolis but not Chi-town.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm 78 now and can't remember the last Motorcycle Only show that I went to.

I think it was probably down in Phoenix, AZ 20+ years ago when I was in that area.

I'm reaching a point where there has to "be a reason" to go riding, not just because the Wx is almost nice enough.

When I lived in Arizona, I rode the 1500 everyday, to work/back, and shopping trips unless the big diesel truck was needed to drag something home. of course, I was in my '50s then too.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I attended the IMS here in Dallas last month and must agree with most of the above comments. Poor showings of most of the major vendors with 2 of Honda’s newest flagship on display. Harleys new electric bike on display with a line to sit on it and their new ADV bike in a plastic box for people to view only. 3rd party vendors were very thin and no real deals to be had at all. I rode my bike to the event so free parking for bikes was a plus but they are going to have to up the ante to get me to return again. Walked the whole show in less than an hour and I was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
I feel your pain, wife and I went to the Massachusetts M/C show........ It was dead/boring/ and a total waste of money.....The vendors were the Harley folks selling nothing but cheap black junk leather jackets and also those useless beanie skull $10.00 helmets.....After a half an hour my wife says I'm bored, I am too, say's I, so off to have a nice lunch out in the country, we go! The only thing about that show that was nice, was the fact, that could actually open up my wallet and let the moth's out to breath.............. Never again!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm hoping to get up to Americade in Lake George NY this year. If that Rally follows the trend I will be done also. I miss the MC show here in AZ.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We have a local MC show in Spokane. Wife and I have been attending for many, many years. Past three years or so the show began to exhibit less and less. Last years show was a joke. We will skip it this year which will actually feel strange in some respects. As already mentioned many times, we are indeed aging and not being replaced. Oh well... ;)

·
Registered
20,681 Posts
Didn’t make it to the show this year but hopefully they will have it again next year.
Years ago it was so overcrowded it was very difficult to walk around so I’m glad it’s less crowded now.
seems like they have got a little carried away with all those restored bikes or whatever you call them that your supposed to vote for, just way to many of them sitting everywhere.
the $2-$3 discount for an advance ticket deal is crap when you live 3 or more hours away and who knows what the weather might be on the day of the show, if you buy the discounted ticket you very well might be out all your money and if you wait until the day of the show they won’t allow the discount.
But overall I have always enjoyed going to the show and hope they continue having it !!!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Was
The generation of people who raised our hobby to its peak are dying off, and not be replaced. Its true in the classic car world, Harley world, and our Wing World. Our generation, and before, had an appreciation for this stuff that does not exist today in the young.....they are more interested in Bernie Sanders, free everything, and cell phones. Everything else to them is irrelevant. Glad I will be dead soon.
Wow!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being someone that has worked the Chicago IMS show with a local dealership and now works most of the shows of the IMS tour as a manufacturer rep (im not going to state who i work for as I'm not here representing them.). I can agree that the shows no matter the location have been getting smaller. Chicago is still one of the largest and busiest shows on the tour. The biggest issue I see is the expense of doing the shows. Don't get me wrong I'm in NO WAY taking a shot at the company that runs the IMS show tour. Booth spaces at these shows are not cheap in any sense of the word. The industry as a whole is way down from where it was 10- 20 years ago. Some of these shops are having a hard time be able to justify the cost of doing the show. It's just the way it is. The major OEMs have even more expenses trying to do these show. At some shows the OEMs will ask local dealer to set up a booth and help them pay for the booth.

The issues are on both sides of the world in my opinion. The shows are getting less attendance. This causes shops and vendor to question if they can afford to do the show. If the cant justify the cost, they drop out. This causes less of a draw to the show. So on and so on.

I'm not taking a shot any any one side or point a finger in blame. These are just my observations. Hopefully, its gets better soon.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Booth spaces at these shows are not cheap in any sense of the word. The industry as a whole is way down from where it was 10- 20 years ago. Some of these shops are having a hard time be able to justify the cost of doing the show. It's just the way it is. <...> Hopefully, its gets better soon.
Since you've been on 'the other side of the velvet ropes', what in your opinion will begin to change things?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since you've been on 'the other side of the velvet ropes', what in your opinion will begin to change things?
I don't see any change in sight The motorcycle industry is down across the board. Look at Harley, the most sucessful motorcycle manufacturer ever, and their sales are way down. You can't sell motorcycles, no matter the design, if there are not people who want to buy and ride motorcycles. I see it as a dying industry. Maybe some day, far off, a new generation will find the value in it, but not any time soon.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Dang! It sucks getting old doesn't it?? :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I jumped into motorcycling at age 45 just 13 years ago. I feel like the hobby and sport left me in the dust.
I always wanted a motorcycle but couldn't afford the luxury of one (cold and not good riding here for 4-6 months of the year and a wife then wife and kids), but when I did get one I went whole hog and crazy. When I looked around all of you older guys were gone. Well, many were and some were slowing down. The young ones didn't want me around or they were goofy and the Harley guys seemed to shove me away. Now the prices on new Harley's are shoving me away! Gosh that new Road Glide CVO is over 41K plus tax, etc. There becomes a place where too much money on a kickstand is just goofy.
I ordered a new Gold Wing a couple weeks ago, a new Matte Black Metallic 2020, no tour pack. This will meet my standards for a Biker Dude type of look that is sleek and mean but an outstanding motorcycle wrapped inside.

I hope you will all stick around a few more years and ride with me. Don't give up folks.

This year I plan a trip to Nebraska and then up to North Dakota so I can check those off my state list.

While I didn't take in a bike show this year it wasn't that I didn't want to. I just don't like the hassle of driving into cities and parking and all the stuff you need to do.

I appreciate the show promoters and the dealerships that help host them. It's fun meeting dealers there and seeing new products. I know it's costly do to shows, I own a company and have done many shows and yes they are costly for booth space and time from your shop, etc.
I remember after 9-11 how shows just came to a stand still. In the plastics industry we saw entire floors and areas of McCormick Place in Chicago empty. It was scary. But I think things recovered when they move the show to Orlando, Chicago lost millions.

Thanks to those who promote, who still do the shows and to those who attend. I hope us two wheeled guys are not a dying breed.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts