GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One biker was killed when he crossed over into oncoming traffic hitting a work van. It was on 9N in the S curves for those familiar with the area. Another couple were injured and transported with non life threatening injuries to the hospital when they got caught up in the wreckage. With 1000's of bikes around the odds are someone is gonna get hurt. RIP brother biker....
http://poststar.com/news/local/police-motorcyclist-killed-in-route-n-accident-in-bolton/article_79149e3e-ed9f-11e3-98e7-001a4bcf887a.html

·
Banned
792 Posts
Never like to read about this stuff when people are out having a good time.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
One biker was killed when he crossed over into oncoming traffic hitting a work van. It was on 9N in the S curves for those familiar with the area. Another couple were injured and transported with non life threatening injuries to the hospital when they got caught up in the wreckage. With 1000's of bikes around the odds are someone is gonna get hurt. RIP brother biker....
http://poststar.com/news/local/police-motorcyclist-killed-in-route-n-accident-in-bolton/article_79149e3e-ed9f-11e3-98e7-001a4bcf887a.html
Seems to happen every year... :cry:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Sad to hear. I just don't do big gatherings. Of course, this kind of thing can happen anytime.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Talked with someone tonight who knows the victim (I live an hour from Lake George). He only had 2 years on the saddle. The "S" turns that are spoken of are right along the lake and real narrow due to all the camps that are there. Plus the turn where I think it happened is on a rise so it's ab bit of a roller coaster there. Sad news indeed.

Another was killed about an hour south of Lake George last night on NYS Rt. 9. I don't know if he was coming/going to Americade or not.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Prayers sent to all the family's involved, from Michigan.

Did anyone know any of these people?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very sorry to hear that another brother biker went down for good.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Prayers from Wisconsin

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Sad to hear. I just don't do big gatherings. Of course, this kind of thing can happen anytime.
Sad, indeed.... it is not how you want to end vacation.... true, it can happen anytime. That in itself is a reason not to avoid going to big gatherings. One should do it all to enjoy our sport.... I've been to Daytona many times, Sturgis three times and plan to go again this year. And, certainly traveled the back roads with no one around. To be a good motorcyclist and enjoy this sport, you need to be comfortable and know how to ride in all conditions, whether by yourself or riding amongst thousands at a rally... back country or city riding... and know how to watch out for the inexperienced rider, or an inexperienced deer...

Sounds like he took a curve and crossed the center line, hitting the oncoming van. I've seen similar descriptions of accidents... I always wonder how many scrap their pegs and it spooks them, they straighten up and cross that line... I've done it.

First time I scrapped my pegs on my Shadow it scared the poop out of me, I straightened up and blew the curve. Fortunately, I was in my neighborhood and no one was around. Realized I need to practice that, learn to expect it. Now, on the GW, I scrap them all the time.... you learn to expect it. I think my wife has her original peg scrappers without a scratch on them...... I'm at least on my third set.

I suspect some folks blow a curve as a result of them scrapping their pegs for the first time... one needs to practice this less you overreact to it at the wrong time.

I know the area of the accident some, was up in that area last year on my long, cross country trip. Very nice area for those of you who live there and can go ride the area...... but, MAN, WHAT is that smell?????????!!!!!??? ?Compost???? There was some area we road through that was unbelievable...... made a pulp plant smell like roses.....

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
You are probably referring to the Ticonderoga paper mill. It can smell a bit. Thoughts go out to the victim. It is usually a pretty safe rally.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I went (as always/7th yr straight) to Americade - love it! ;) Always fun, and exciting,
I saw more Goldwinds there this year then ever I honestly believe:bow:

Sorry to hear about accidents-my payers go out to the family and friends

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I went to Americade for my 1st time this year. Had a good time. However I almost didnt make it home, and it wasnt thanks to me. We were traveling the area on some back road, it was a 2 lane road, and we noticed a New York state trooper coming at us in OUR lane. He was passing a bunch of cars in his lane, had his lights on but not his siren so they probably didnt even know he was coming, and he proceeded past them directly at us at a very high speed. Had the 4 of us not run off the side of the road at the last minute, he would have killed us all. Yea I know someone is going to say "well why didnt you pull over and yield". We yes we would have, but he was coming at us cresting a hill, and it all happened in a split second. One of the guys that was with us is a police officer, and he as well as the rest of us were livid. We thought about stopping and making a complaint, but said the hell with it. We had too many better things to do. But his complete disregard for the safety of others will eventually kill someone some day.

·
Banned
792 Posts
But his complete disregard for the safety of others will eventually kill someone some day.
It has happened before, sometimes they think they are above all safety concerns and I don't care what they are going to. Common sense is not so common.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts