GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you remvoe the top liner that covers the latches( in the saddlebag) you will see the rod that connects both latches. There is a white plastic "adjustor" on that rod on the forward end that has a great deal of effect on how effective the latching works. Also I found that this liner(cover) is a major cause of the bag being hard to open. I have left out several of the screws that hold it in place to allow for easier opening.

I dunno......worked for me?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve I'll try it. Boots, neither side latches. I had to replace the left bag and the new one didnot come with the latch assembly so I transfered the old one. The old one worked great before I messed with it. I'm off to the shop to work on it some more. thanks for the help. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got it. Steve was right. I took the cover off and they latched just fine. Put it back on and nada. So I got the ol' dremal tool out and started trimming it up here and there.
Put it back on and everything works just fine.

Thanks again for the help,
Randy

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Cool......hey I never thought of the dremel tool......but I bet that's just the ticket, and I can put all the screws back in......maybe??

Glad that worked out for you. 8)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Gray Ghost II said:
Can someone tell me how to ajust the saddelbag door.
the left side door will not latch. It is closed enough to keep the sensor from detecting that it's open but the latch is not cought.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Randy

Randy, I just bought a new 2005 and had that problem almost immediately. The dealer replaced it under warranty as I advised him of a previous TSB (15) for the Trunk Opener Unit for the problem you are discribing. You can see the TSB on the following website - www.ridersrally.com When you open this site go to bottom of page and look for caption entitled - GL 1800 Service Bulletins.

Zeebo

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
zeebo said:
... Randy, I just bought a new 2005 and had that problem almost immediately. The dealer replaced it under warranty as I advised him of a previous TSB (15) for the Trunk Opener Unit for the problem you are discribing. You can see the TSB on the following website - www.ridersrally.com When you open this site go to bottom of page and look for caption entitled - GL 1800 Service Bulletins.
1.) SB15 was for 2001-2004 Wings. The '05 and later Wings already have the redesigned trunk latch unit.

2.) Replacing the saddlebag door and having trouble getting it adjusted properly really isn't a warranty item.

Anyway, since the original saddlebag door worked fine, it's probably just a case of getting everything in the right place....

Gray Ghost, hang in there! and I hope it works out well for you!

·
Registered
281 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
zeebo said:
... Randy, I just bought a new 2005 and had that problem almost immediately. The dealer replaced it under warranty as I advised him of a previous TSB (15) for the Trunk Opener Unit for the problem you are discribing. You can see the TSB on the following website - www.ridersrally.com When you open this site go to bottom of page and look for caption entitled - GL 1800 Service Bulletins.
1.) SB15 was for 2001-2004 Wings. The '05 and later Wings already have the redesigned trunk latch unit.

2.) Replacing the saddlebag door and having trouble getting it adjusted properly really isn't a warranty item.

Anyway, since the original saddlebag door worked fine, it's probably just a case of getting everything in the right place....

Gray Ghost, hang in there! and I hope it works out well for you!

I can only tell you my experience. Although the TSB if for bikes up to 04, my dealer has advised me that 05's-06's continue to have similar problems and he has been advised by Honda Canada (I live in Ontario) to replace if a customer complains. It does not hurt to ask.

The dealer also advised me that the longer I have the problem without doing somethine about it, even in the warranty period, it would be viewed as wear and tear...and not covered. Such BS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts