GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 02 wing. Everything fine until I took the motorcycle cover stored in the left bag out. Now, even though I shut the saddlebag, the display still indicates an open bag. Fiddled with the internal latches with a thin bladed screw driver and everything latches as its suppose to. Thought maybe the internal pressure of the bulky cover inside the bag might have put the correct pressure on the contacts. Worked that angle unsuccessfully. I haven't figured out where the contacts are yet and what activates the bag open message. Anyone run up against this and know of a troubleshoot list to run through. :?: Thanks,

TexF6

:(

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Give it a little push at the top front and back...

...sometimes the latches have closed but the sensor still shows open. Normally it is my right bag and is the front sensor, so I just reach back and tap the front top of the bag. Goes right out. Would rather have it a little sensitive than have a bag come open while riding. IMPORTANT to not overload the side bags and force the cover closed -- can disform the mechanism and also makes it difficult to open the bag with the tension on the lid. If my cover is a little tight, I press in on it at the top while lifting the release lever. Just like everything else, if you put too much in and strain the latches, it will catch up with you. Plus, these release mechanisms are pretty flimsy which makes it worse. If it breaks, take the bike in under warranty and they will probably install the newer, stronger release mechanism.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Generally a light push on the bag once it's closed will solve the problem. The switches are pretty senitive. Do Not slam them or the Trunk as that will cause more problems over time. :idea:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went out and tried your suggestion concerning tapping on the top of the bag. No success for me. Can you pin point the contacts for me if you know? I picked the bike up used from the original owner yesterday. Only 6100 miles but I am sure that the warranty is expired as it was purchased in May 02. The previous owner didn't mention an extended warranty so I am fairly confident that there isn't one. We opened the bages all around upon my final inspection without this occurrence so I can't lay blame any where. Just want to see if I can first take care of the issue without incurring the honda shop costs.

Thanks,

texf6

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried the gentle nudges after closed as well to no avail. Guess I got the flimsy latches and need to take it in.

Thanks,

texf6

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
texf6 said:
Only 6100 miles but I am sure that the warranty is expired as it was purchased in May 02.
The warranty on the Wing is three years. If you didn't get a warranty booklet from the original owner try getting one from your local Honda dealer.

On mine I have to push the saddlebag closed at both the rear and front latch. However, maybe only one (front?) has a microswitch sensor. Perhaps your switch is bad OR you could have a problem with a loose connector somewhere. Getting a shop manual from Honda Direct Line would be a good investment if you don't have one already.

Best Wishes with the new scooter!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Your warranty is 3 years from Honda, anytime during this period you can still purchase extended warranty, HDL has the best price in extended warranty.
thanks.......KC :blw1:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Here is what I have learned.

I was a "slammer"... figured out that never got me to far. Once I got on the bike and started it up, I'd have to reach back and give the bag a slap to get the OPEN indicator to go out.

Then, because some smart person on the board shared it with me, I learned the simple and gentle way to close the bag.

Apply firm pressure near the top front of the bag, push until you hear 2 clicks. The bag is closed and the indicator will be off. Works every time.

Give it a shot

·
Registered
762 Posts
Like the other posters, I push gently on the upper area of the saddlebags until I hear a couple clicks. If you want to check whether they are closed or not, use your remote to then lock the bags and trunk...if the lights flash eight times (I think), then your problem is with the latching mechanisms. If they flash only once, then then the saddlebags should be latched properly and you may have a problem elsewhere.

An easy way to access the wires for the saddlebag latch switches is to remove the back panel behind the license plate. I don't have schematics handy, but the wires from the switches are routed through there. The saddlebag lights from EC tap into the saddlebag switch circuits back there, so perhaps Lewis will post with some tips. If not, I'll look up the info this evening at home.

Good luck!
Arthur

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Latches

I had to have my '02 left saddlebag mechanism replaced by dealer because it simply quit opening. Waiting weeks for my chance to get it into the dealer I utilized the "stick your finger really far into the trunk backup button" method. I am not much of a "slammer", but the problem was insidious and probably started earlier than I admitted to myself. There have been no problems for the last 2 months since dealer replaced under warranty. With as much trouble as the latch system has been to me, I bet this design should be considered as a recall item to strengthen our originals. Enough owners just have to be plagued with it, and voice their opinions.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
Honda has a very good 3 year unlimmited mileage warranty and most dealers would be happy to help solve your saddlebag problems, give them a chance. Myself and many others have had simmilar problems resolved with satisfactory results. congratulations on the new bike. :wink:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,099 Posts
When I close my saddlebags, I use both hands and gently push at the two lock points on the bags until I hear the clicks. Works every time and I never get the bag open warning on the display.

Frank
Bear, Delaware

·
Registered
36 Posts
Left Saddlebag Problem

texf6,
What you are experiencing is a common problem especially with the left bag. The others who replied are correct - close carefully and be sure both latches work. If you look in the trunk at the rear inside there is a panel which you can remove and see the cables which open the saddlebags. You will see that there is some adjustment on the cables (orange ends). Adjusting to a different slot might work.
I ended up bending the latches to make mine work because it finally got to the stage that I had to use the emergency button from inside the trunk to open the left bag. Also, it still should be under warranty. I have heard rumours that they have a more robust mechanism on the 04's but havent been able to confirm it. I am going to ask my dealer next time I see him.
Good luck,
Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts