GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I have to bang on the saddlebags to get them to open. Wife will pull on the levers while I bang on the bags. It is both sides is there an adjustment I need to know about?? Its a 01 1800. Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If the rubber is dragging, a light coat of silicone or Pledge might help.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Spray silicone lube seems to work well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bags sticking

I would swear the cables have too much slack in them

·
Vendor
17,821 Posts
I think most Wings you have to tap on the RR bag to get to open. There is a recall/bullien for the earlier GL1800 on the RR. You can go to JustWings.com > printed material to read on that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This was posted by Kit in another forum...

"For what ever reason the front latch in the left saddle bag is not adjusted to travel the same travel as the back latch when the lever is pulled.
Remove the 6 or 8 screws in the top inside of the saddle bag and adjust the front pull rod to be longer. DO NOT SHUT THE BAG DOOR WITH THE ROD OUT OF POSITION.
With a mirror to see the rotational travel of the latches, front and rear you can judge the correct adjustment. Be careful opening the catch on the plastic rod holder at the front latch.
You don't want to break or damage it. The rod does not screw into the plastic latch pin at the end of the rod. It is a barbed rod end. You will have to undo the back of the pull rod catch to remove the rod and make the adjustment.
Once adjusted the left saddle bag opens as easily or easier than the right one with no effort on the pull lever.

As for the little plastic catch in the trunk area go to Napa and get the door catch number
735-2637. It is heavy duty and fits fine and solves that problem."

Thanks Kit for the tip!!

Henry

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
This was posted by Kit in another forum...

"For what ever reason the front latch in the left saddle bag is not adjusted to travel the same travel as the back latch when the lever is pulled.
Remove the 6 or 8 screws in the top inside of the saddle bag and adjust the front pull rod to be longer. DO NOT SHUT THE BAG DOOR WITH THE ROD OUT OF POSITION.
With a mirror to see the rotational travel of the latches, front and rear you can judge the correct adjustment. Be careful opening the catch on the plastic rod holder at the front latch.
You don't want to break or damage it. The rod does not screw into the plastic latch pin at the end of the rod. It is a barbed rod end. You will have to undo the back of the pull rod catch to remove the rod and make the adjustment.
Once adjusted the left saddle bag opens as easily or easier than the right one with no effort on the pull lever.

As for the little plastic catch in the trunk area go to Napa and get the door catch number
735-2637. It is heavy duty and fits fine and solves that problem."

Thanks Kit for the tip!!

Henry
You are welcome. That was some time ago. They have come out with a retrofit kit now. You can even get the dealers to install it.

Hard to tell exactly what the problem is if you are not standing there at the bike. Are the latches releasing and the lids simply sticking to the weather stripping or are the latches the problem and not releasing.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Someone addressed this before with pics that were very helpful. Maybe someone has a link to that thread?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sometimes I have to bang on the saddlebags to get them to open. Wife will pull on the levers while I bang on the bags. It is both sides is there an adjustment I need to know about?? Its a 01 1800. Thanks for any suggestions
Had this problem on my "O"6. In the trunk, pulled the cover off the inside over the latches to expose the mechanisms. On mine I found a small, greenish yellow plastic ferrule-looking adjuster through with the cable passes, held in place on a metal bracket. The plastic part has three different slots in it. I pulled this from the bracket and moved it in the corresponding direction to take slack from the cable, then popped in back in the bracket. Saddlebag opens with no problem now.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Had this problem on my "O"6. In the trunk, pulled the cover off the inside over the latches to expose the mechanisms. On mine I found a small, greenish yellow plastic ferrule-looking adjuster through with the cable passes, held in place on a metal bracket. The plastic part has three different slots in it. I pulled this from the bracket and moved it in the corresponding direction to take slack from the cable, then popped in back in the bracket. Saddlebag opens with no problem now.
I just got back from an Alaska ride and dangit my bags started being hard to open. They are not sticking, the latch is not releasing. I'll have to pull the covers off and make the adjustments!! At night when the bike would get cold I could get the bags open but when they warmed up in the daytime you could not get the front latch to release..

Henry

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Check and make sure the mechanisms' aren't bent. I bent the left side from pulling too hard. So much so that when I pulled "out" it actually went "up".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts