GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my new 06 for a month now and continue to deal with the crippled bird wing impression for my left saddle bag lid closure. I just gently but firmly push along the edge until it eventually goes off, I figure there must be a trick or an adjustment? I have refrained from slamming the door(bigger hammer technique) I just push it closed firmly.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Left bag latch woes

Hey James,
DoubleR one our fellow board members came over to my house a while back and fixed my left bag latch in about 2 minutes. It still works great just like the right one now. I could probably tell you what he did but it might be better to just p.m. him about the specifics. Happy Thanksgiving, Terry

·
Vendor
21,870 Posts
Open the bag and look at the door. You will see two strikers on the door, one forward and one aft.

When you close the door, DON'T SLAM IT. Simply position two fingers opposite where each striker is and GENTLY PUSH until you hear each one CLICK.

It is usually the forward latch that doesn't click sometimes. Put two finger over where the latch is and push slightly till you hear the click.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I slam mine to shut them. The right one opens easily. The left one sticks most of the time unless I've used it recently. I'm always conscious of the pull force on the left lever, having had the rod pop out of the holder three times and having the whole mechanism replaced once - which did no good at all - lol. When the left is taking a lot of force, I slap the bag with the heel of my hand while I'm pulling and it opens every time.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
There is a technique to closing the saddlebags the first time everytime. I shut my saddle bags just like Fred does except I make a fist and then place both fists on the saddlebag lid behind were the latches are located and gently push until I hear "click"..."click"...it works everytime smooth as silk. If you wear rings you might want to use your fingers or palms so you don't scratch the paint with your rings.

When the saddlebags are fully loaded they open easily if you first push on the saddlebag lid before you pull the release lever to relieve some of the outward pressure on the saddlebag lid that stuffing the saddlebag full causes. Using this technique the saddlebags will open everytime smooth as silk as well as putting a lot less stress on the saddlebag mechanical components.

·
Registered
652 Posts
When I get the door warning I reach back and give it a good slap up side the head and tell it to be good.
Worked for my kids and works every time on the wing.
TR

·
Registered
262 Posts
Put some furniture polish on the latches on the inside of the bags and you will never have a problem again. Worked for me!

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Y'all try Fred's instructions. The man knows whereof he speaks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
WarBirdBob said:
Worked for my kids and works every time on the wing.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts