GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a suggested circular or linear route in Maui where I can do sustained speeds of 50+ mph. If anyone on this site can suggest a route where this is close to conceivable, would you please let me know?

Thank you.

Kid.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
not gonna happen :roll:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Wow. I've been to Maui and all I can say is good luck. Very heavily populated and outside Honolulu most of the rest is mountainous. I'd rather sight-see there....

·
Registered
94 Posts
hmmmmm

Quote.......Wow. I've been to Maui and all I can say is good luck. Very heavily populated and outside Honolulu most of the rest is mountainous. I'd rather sight-see there....

Honolulu is on the Island of Oahu..... not Maui

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That's going to be a challenge. Highway 30 maybe back and forth a bunch of times, but even there the traffic bogs down, especially around Lahaina. Can't remember the posted limits but with all the tourists and sightseers, you'll be unlikely to average 50mph anywhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Quote.......Wow. I've been to Maui and all I can say is good luck. Very heavily populated and outside Honolulu most of the rest is mountainous. I'd rather sight-see there....

Honolulu is on the Island of Oahu..... not Maui

My bad... you are correct.... :oops: however I have also been to both islands(and more) and rode all over them and I still do not see that happening.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I need a suggested circular or linear route in Maui where I can do sustained speeds of 50+ mph. If anyone on this site can suggest a route where this is close to conceivable, would you please let me know?
Thank you.
Kid.
perhaps you should contact those that know what its like to attempt these ride.

http://www.ironbutt.com/About/getArchiveddocument.cfm?DocID=151

youll be hard pressed to make it at 41.1 mph average for 24 hrs, butt plan it, learn the routes. try the Google Earth to see if it can give up any potential road issues based on its routing.
good luck

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Thank you.

Kid.
On the public roads, I would not attempt (same answer as your last thread)....but you 'might' ask permission from an owner of a large tract of land (ie: suger cane fields) and see if that may work for a circle route. This is assuming there are still cane fields there? That would get you away from traffic and able to maintain the appropraite speed. A dual sport bike here is probably a better choice.

Just a thought, but you may not like this one also.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Up and down the volcano may be your best bet. Thats a tough one. You'd have better luck on the Big Island. Less people.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Maui

There is no way one can maintain 25-30 on the Lahaina road. Not-Even-Maybe. The whole thing is an impracticable idea.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm in Maui right now. There is absolutely no way you can sustain 50 mph anywhere on this island.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm in Maui right now. There is absolutely no way you can sustain 50 mph anywhere on this island.
It's been awhile since visiting maui but I certainly agree. Just got back from the big island a few months ago and I doubt it could be done there either. Between tourists and road construction your not going to have much success.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ah, Maui, a fantastic place to ride! I rode 250 miles on Maui one day and it took a good 10 hours. The guy I rented the H D from was pissed because I put so many miles on it. :twisted: Apparently, most people rent the bike and ride to the nearest bar where the bike sits for most of the day. Imagine that!

If a Maui SS1000 is possible, which I doubt, the only route to consider would be repeated trips back and forth along the remote south shore area south and west of Hana. The road there has much less traffic and no stop lights but averaging Ironbutt pace would be a dangerous endeavor. Since the road is rough and gravel in some areas I recommend a dual purpose bike that has great lights. I would hate to be on that road at night. Be sure paramedics are nearby. :eek:4:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SS1000 on Maui

Well these comments are quite disappointing they are probably quite realistic. While I am flying to Maui it doesn't mean I can't fly to Oahu or the Big Island instead. Given much of my ride will be in the evening hours doe anyone think it is doable on the Big Island? I'd have a fair amount of decent speeds from Kona toward the airport and beyond? I have been in touch with the IBA. The tribute ride I am doing is on October 15th. An IBA member who was trying to do an SS1000 in all 50 States passed away. On the 15th they are trying to get someone in every State to do an SS1000. I volunteered to fly to Hawaii to pay tribute to the deceased, Jack Shoalmire, or I would even attempt it.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SS1000 on Maui

Well the ride has been moved to the Big Island thanks to all of your input. I thank you all for steering me in the right direction. Five times around the BIg Island in 20 hours should do it! Thanks again.

Kid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts