GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if anyone has done this, but I installed Saddlebag keepers to hold up the items in the saddlebags, to help with closing the lids.

I used #8 x 1/2" machine screws with lock nuts, picture hanger brackets, and 12" x 12" bungee nets (from Ebay). On my wife's '18, she wanted a little storage pocket, so I used bungee cords, and a car sun visor cover from Walmart auto section. The "12 x 12" net gets folded in half, so it's 6" x 12". Attach the doubled up hooks on the top brackets.

I have a few pics below on the placement of the screws and hanger brackets. The thing you have to be careful of is just where you drill. In the front of the bag is pretty easy, just get between the "ribs" of the molding. In the back/top location of the bag, you need to make sure you are low enough to miss the molding for the tail light. Make sure you feel the location of the molding to make sure you are low enough.

These things work GREAT, and are a really inexpensive solution to hold everything in. Total install time, less than an hour on the first bike, and 30 minutes on the second one.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I really like how the net functions. Honda ought to make this arrangement standard on the bike, like how some cars have a similar net for the trunk. I'm too chicken to take a drill to my saddlebags. Wonder if the hooks could be glued in instead of held by screws.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like how the net functions. Honda ought to make this arrangement standard on the bike, like how some cars have a similar net for the trunk. I'm too chicken to take a drill to my saddlebags. Wonder if the hooks could be glued in instead of held by screws.
I don't know if a glue would hold it well enough. If you don't have them tight enough, it won't do the job you are trying to do.

I see you are at Hot Springs. I will be over at Mena for a couple of weeks in October. You could get all of the parts, ride over to Mena, and I'll put it in for you.

Reactions: cris nitro

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for the offer to assist with the installation but not only am I too chicken to drill into my bike, I'm too chicken to have anybody else do it either. The shelf style doesn't look as functional but I might go that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts