GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to remove a saddlebag (specifically, the right) and replace it?
It looks fairly straight forward from what I can see.

·
Registered
513 Posts
When I bought my bike 2 years ago there was a scratch on the left saddlebag that it had picked up in the showroom. Since I live a couple of hours away from the dealer, I just had them mail me a new one and I installed it myself. I don't believe that it was very hard at all. Just look at it logically and it's pretty straight forward. A new one will not come with the trim. You'll have to take the trim or lights (whichever you have) off and transfer it to the new side cover.

Bryansong

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
According to my '01/'02 manual remove: (a) seat (b) left and right side covers (c) rear fender (d) trunk lower cover (e) trunk lock cover. Then disconnect the saddlebag opener cable and sub-wire harness connectors. Remove the four bolts, washers, and then the saddlebags.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not terribly difficult. Only 4 bolts hold it on but the real problem I had was snaking the tail light wiring harness back to the back to plug it in under the trunk. I had to loosen the bolts and move the saddlebag back out a little just to get enough clearance - it's real tight in there. I would recommend you run that harness prior to bolting it up. If you are considering the LED saddlebag trim it would be a good time to add it also. Another thing I found, I was having the usual left saddlebag sticking latch problem but when I reinstalled it I was able to adjust it so that it's much better now. A lot of people have had the latch changed but there is some adjustment available on the release cable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not terribly difficult. Only 4 bolts hold it on but the real problem I had was snaking the tail light wiring harness back to the back to plug it in under the trunk. I had to loosen the bolts and move the saddlebag back out a little just to get enough clearance - it's real tight in there. I would recommend you run that harness prior to bolting it up. If you are considering the LED saddlebag trim it would be a good time to add it also. Another thing I found, I was having the usual left saddlebag sticking latch problem but when I reinstalled it I was able to adjust it so that it's much better now. A lot of people have had the latch changed but there is some adjustment available on the release cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts