GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GW and was rear ended a few days ago. The left saddle bag is destroyed and looking closer at the damage I noticed that the Saddlebag stay (tubing that holds the saddlebags around the frame and also holds the trunk in place) is bent slightly on the lower middle left side where the saddle bag sits.
Does anyone know what kind of metal this tubing is made out of? Also what kind of heat will be required to straighten it out? A new saddlebag stay is roughly $600 and I would prefer to straighten this bent tubing if possible . Can it be straightened out without damaging or cracking the tubing? Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Obi-Wan

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

It will require an oxygen-acetylene torch to do it correctly and it is very easy to soften or to embrittle the metal if you have no experience with this sort of work.

A salvage part may be your best bet.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
The subframe that supports the saddlebags and trunk is made from aluminum.

·
Registered
437 Posts
saddlebag stay

check to see if there is a trike shop near you, when converting to a trike only the top of the saddle bag stay is used where the trunk mounts, they cut off the bottom portion and throw it away, if you top is ok you could see if a trike shop would swap you since they don't need the bent part, they might ask for a few dollars, also round tubing once bent is weakened even after straightening

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks to everyone for the excellent advice...It's very much appreciated.

Obi-Wan

·
Registered
355 Posts
I need the same part for Left side. My Pastor was rear ended while sitting at a light. Some idiot hit him while digging for the end of his cigarette in his lap. We replaced the bad Saddlebag parts, but the two top holes for the Center Panel are 3/4" apart. He was hit on the left and was shoved down on the right. Right side is OK due to crash bars, but left bag took the hit. (Pastor was only hurt a little bit, no serious damage to the body). Thinking we may need to replace the sub frame, but I cannot find it in any parts fiche. 2003or 2004 (should all be same part number?) Any ideas besides trike shops and salvage yards to find part number for a new frame?

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
Thinking we may need to replace the sub frame, but I cannot find it in any parts fiche. 2003or 2004 (should all be same part number?) Any ideas besides trike shops and salvage yards to find part number for a new frame?
Look under engine guards! The sponsor of this site will be glad to get you a new one! :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Talk about confusing. OK, now I can see why I didn't see it. Engine Guards huh?
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts