GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if an '08 saddlebag mount and all the linkage including the taillight on a '02 bike. I just found mine cracked. dont know how when or why it happened but i did find an 08 bag.

since I have never taken the bag off can anyone tell me if its a 2 hour job or an all day job??:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I don't know about the parts interchange but it is a relatively easy job. Not all day by any means.

The side cover, seat, rear fender center panel and braces have to come off. Can't remember the number of bolts but there are two allen head bolts through the bottom and don't remember but think two through the back. I do not remember harness routing but not too hard to figure out while you are in there.

·
Registered
815 Posts
No. Pre 06 bags have different taillights than 06 and after. You cannnot mount an 06+ tail light to a pre 06 bag. Been there. Missed out on the tee shirt. You might find a pre 06 tail light in the white above (rather than orange above pattern) from an aftermarket supplier but the lamp holders then are not compatible. I haven't progressed passed that yet.

Other than the taillight and associated wiring it will fit. Mounting hole locations to the frame are all the same.

My opinion... hold out for a post 06 bag.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I swapped out my 06 lights for the old 05. If you look close the mold is the same you just have to drill holes to match. On mine both patterns were built into the light. Only one was being used. I found it easy to modify.
I believe there right, I had to order light sockets from honda. Not that hard to change. I hated the 06 lights enough to do the work.

·
Registered
815 Posts
@ralph

Interesting...

In the photo below the one on the right is an 10 takeoff that fits my 08 bags. The one of the left is an "aftermarket" replacement for the pre 06 (bbp) with a white over read (vs. Orange over red) pattern. There isn't any "obvious" way to swap out one for the other.

I am (as you indicate) missing a pre 06 OEM version, which I can only assume may have some different mounting locations than the aftermarket version.

So you were able to replace your 06 taillights (which were white over red) with an 05 version (which were orange over red) by simply drilling a new hole in the light? I might need to investigate that...

TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the input.. I was going to try to put my 02 tail light into the 08 bag if it will mount. I am not trying to change lights to a different style but just change out the 02 bag with a 08 bag if it will all mount up? I didnt want to open a can of worms just hoping it would all swap out ok. what do you think??

·
Registered
815 Posts
Based on what Ralph said, it seems as if it isn't that hard to swap an 08 bag to an 02 bike.

I can say that the opposite isn't that straight forward (putting an 04 bag on an 08), but it is "possible" (as I am almost "done").

1 - 7 of 7 Posts