GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just realized (while packing for a trip) the saddlebags are somewhat smaller than the 1500.
I've had this 1800 3 years and I just noticed that the floor is smaller. Things seem to fall out
all the time when you open the door. Maybe on the next redesign they will make the door
hinge higher and create a more useful saddlebag storage area. As much as I hated my HD
lids that either fell off or had bent hinges, at least you could pile stuff in them.
Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Yea, my wife has a 1500 and when ever we take a trip with both bikes I hear about it. The 1500 is better if making a shopping trip. Women have to take so much more stuff that they need larger bags & trunk.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
WinginHunk said:
Yea, my wife has a 1500 and when ever we take a trip with both bikes I hear about it. The 1500 is better if making a shopping trip. Women have to take so much more stuff that they need larger bags & trunk.
As I've gotten older, I actually find I prefer a woman with large bags and a large trunk!

Bradford

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I owned a dressed XV920 with 'Seca class' side bags and a sturdy steel rack on the rear fender. But I could pack that rack to the sky. One day my wife and I went shopping at Sam's Club and obviously forgot which wheels we took that day and packed the cart to the brim with bulk goods, we even had the underlying shelf filled with one dimensioned box.

Back at the parking lot, we stood in front of that Yamaha smiling at our foolishness. I managed with bungy cord & will, to pack the entire contents of that cart on that bike. Some passer-bys were amazed, but the net result was not so delushional or exagerated.

We went on many camping trips with that Yamaha, everything we needed packed to the sky on that sturdy rack.

Upon trade to a GL1500SE, I was so dismayed at the 5lb load carrying of the rear rack and the pitiful storage capabilities. Never again could I load an entire shopping cart into the bike.

That is what the trailer is for ...

I found that the GL1800 had more overall capacity, but the basic dimensions changed such that certain things I could take on the 1500 I could not on the 1800, and I could swear there are things on the 1800 I could never put on the 1500. A wash perhaps?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i reality our valkyrie side bags are bigger than the 1800 as well, since you can jam stuff into them, being top loaders

1 - 8 of 8 Posts