GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After going back and forth for months on choosing a new seat, I finally choose the Saddleman Road sofa for many different reasons but mainly price and reviews which I could not find many bad reviews. ( actually no reviews for the 2018

If I actually would ride more than I do, I may have chosen differently. Time will tell

Once I receive it I will post some pictures and my own review. Hopefully have it in 3 days time

Everybody always wants to know what seats cost here is what I looked at

Saddleman $801 +tax 0 shipping Seat and drivers back rest
Ultimate $1015 + Tax and shipping seat , backrest and passenger back rest. Note : I have a Ultimate seat that was on my 2012 that I wasnt impressed with. Its for sale

Hartco/Diamond $1288 + tax and shipping
Corbin was over $1500, I about passed out over that so cant tell you the exact price

Non heated on all of them, I personally could care less about the heat option Did have to buy the Heat dummy plug for $63.00

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Does the seat you ordered connect to the heated set feature on the wing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it does not, I have never used the heated seat on any of my wings, just never cared for nor needed them. I will be using the dummy load plug in.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
After going back and forth for months on choosing a new seat, I finally choose the Saddleman Road sofa for many different reasons but mainly price and reviews which I could not find many bad reviews. ( actually no reviews for the 2018

If I actually would ride more than I do, I may have chosen differently. Time will tell

Once I receive it I will post some pictures and my own review. Hopefully have it in 3 days time

Everybody always wants to know what seats cost here is what I looked at

Saddleman $801 +tax 0 shipping Seat and drivers back rest
Ultimate $1015 + Tax and shipping seat , backrest and passenger back rest. Note : I have a Ultimate seat that was on my 2012 that I wasnt impressed with. Its for sale

Hartco/Diamond $1288 + tax and shipping
Corbin was over $1500, I about passed out over that so cant tell you the exact price

Non heated on all of them, I personally could care less about the heat option Did have to buy the Heat dummy plug for $63.00

Does the backrest come off?:smile2:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
That would be a deal breaker for me! Lots of cool weather riding here in Canada ?? through the Rockies! I use the heated seat function a lot!! :grin2:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I paid well over $1,500 for my Ultimate heated seat - I about passed out at the price too but they are so worth it. I hope the Saddleman works great for you. Lots of people like them - I haven't seen much negative about them. Be sure to let us know your review. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seat was mounted today, Thoughts.

1. Pan was nicer than the OEM EXCELLENT FIT all around

2. Easy Install
3. Seating position seemed to be about the same as OEM
4. seat seems to be a bit thinner as I have better feet control
4a Back seat also smaller allowing more of the hand grips to be shown and used.
5. Back rest is really nice easy install and remove.
6. Have not ridden to far yet, but will need to be broken in. Firm and not soft like OEM

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Seat was mounted today, Thoughts.

1. Pan was nicer than the OEM EXCELLENT FIT all around

2. Easy Install
3. Seating position seemed to be about the same as OEM
4. seat seems to be a bit thinner as I have better feet control
4a Back seat also smaller allowing more of the hand grips to be shown and used.
5. Back rest is really nice easy install and remove.
6. Have not ridden to far yet, but will need to be broken in. Firm and not soft like OEM

Pictures??
Drivers backrest comes off with the seat on?:smile2:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures??
Drivers backrest comes off with the seat on?:smile2:
yes it does well darn I did put pictures in need to find why they didnt show its pretty though :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if this thread is dead, but I finished a 1200 mile trip last Friday and I wanted to get some miles on it before I spoke up.

As far as the quality goes, the seat I received was top notch. I didn't get the installed heater on it, but I will be putting one on this coming fall. Compared to the OEM saddle, this one FEELS like it's about an inch lower, but maybe 2 inches further back. The passenger will definitely sit hicher than on the OEM, but my short wife isn't complaining about that fact. There is a sharper tilt in the back of the seat so it feels as if I can put my rear in a secure position and have that lower back pad help keep me situated (pun intended).

After all day in the seat I had no issues to complain about. The seat width is very similar to the OEM, but for some reason it felt like my knees stayed by the tank better even when I relaxed my hips. I will say had double hip replacement last summer and had no pain getting off and on after a long time seated. The padding was solid and well positioned. All in all it was a definite improvement over the OEM and I wouldn't worry about inferior craftsmanship if I were you.

That's my 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I decided to return my seat. After riding I just wasnt satisfied. To me it seem like I was closer to the Tank and not moved back. I just felt cramped. As beagle mentioned it did sit me lower than the OEM and that may have been the reason I felt cramped.

as far as quality ,it was top notched, with no complaints what so ever. Both seat and drivers backrest.

Now I want to give Denise Kirk some major Kudos here , there was no complaining at all , just asked me what I didnt like and to send it back for a refund. They now have a customer for life.

So know its back to which one now to get between Ultimate and Hartco. RDL is a long shot but still a possibility

1 - 14 of 14 Posts