GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I plan to head up there in mid-September via IA and MN. Been thinking of a B & B on the island, but we're flexible. My concern is where we can park the bike while we're gone a day, possibly overnight. My hunch, after doing a search on this board, is on the U.P. side, but I have no more than a hunch. Any thoughts? (We kinda thought waiting until early-mid-October might be pushing it, weather-wise).

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Been up there and gone over to the Island on several occasions, and on other occasions just went up to travel the U.P. On a couple of occasions I have parked the bike in the parking lot of the ferry boat over to the Island. Put on my cover and didn't worry. On another occasion just parked it on the main street across from the ferry dock. You can also park at one of the hotels like the Holiday Inn Express just a ways north of the ferry docks. The front desk will then call the ferry office and have their van come to pick you up.
St. Ignace is a pretty quiet little town and shouldn't cause you much concern about leaving your bike. The ferry parking lots I have used are lighted at night and seemed very secure.
Enjoy yourself in the U.P. and Mackinac Island. You may even want to tour some of the U.P. while you are up there. Great roads, little traffic, awesome scenery. Thing about riding over to Grand Marais and riding H-58 down to Munising. An absolutely great motorcycle road through the forest and along Lake Superior. Much of the road is in The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. You might want to visit some of the viewing sites.
Best wishes for a great trip.
Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you want.
Ask me about Java Joe's coffee shop in St Ignace and the Dancing Crane coffee shop near Brimly.
Oh, and by the way, it is Mackinac Island, not Mackinaw Island. You go through Mackinaw City to go over the Mackinac Bridge.
If you haven't ridden over the Mackinac Bridge, it's a real experience. Especially if you ride on the grated lane and can look down about 300 feet to the water below. It also is frequently windy on the bridge which greatly adds to the "interesting" factor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Place to park

Check Sheplers Ferry.com. We took their ferry from the St. Ignace side. They have free indoor parking for motorcycles during the day and $10 overnight. If you take their early ferry it goes out under the Mackinac Bridge for sightseeing on the way to the island. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been up there and gone over to the Island on several occasions, and on other occasions just went up to travel the U.P. On a couple of occasions I have parked the bike in the parking lot of the ferry boat over to the Island. Put on my cover and didn't worry. On another occasion just parked it on the main street across from the ferry dock. You can also park at one of the hotels like the Holiday Inn Express just a ways north of the ferry docks. The front desk will then call the ferry office and have their van come to pick you up.
St. Ignace is a pretty quiet little town and shouldn't cause you much concern about leaving your bike. The ferry parking lots I have used are lighted at night and seemed very secure.
Enjoy yourself in the U.P. and Mackinac Island. You may even want to tour some of the U.P. while you are up there. Great roads, little traffic, awesome scenery. Thing about riding over to Grand Marais and riding H-58 down to Munising. An absolutely great motorcycle road through the forest and along Lake Superior. Much of the road is in The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. You might want to visit some of the viewing sites.
Best wishes for a great trip.
Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you want.
Ask me about Java Joe's coffee shop in St Ignace and the Dancing Crane coffee shop near Brimly.
Oh, and by the way, it is Mackinac Island, not Mackinaw Island. You go through Mackinaw City to go over the Mackinac Bridge.
If you haven't ridden over the Mackinac Bridge, it's a real experience. Especially if you ride on the grated lane and can look down about 300 feet to the water below. It also is frequently windy on the bridge which greatly adds to the "interesting" factor.
Thanks! Graet info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check Sheplers Ferry.com. We took their ferry from the St. Ignace side. They have free indoor parking for motorcycles during the day and $10 overnight. If you take their early ferry it goes out under the Mackinac Bridge for sightseeing on the way to the island. Enjoy your trip.
Sounds like a winner,thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts