GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I JUST BOUGHT A TRAILER AND I HAVE A RIVCO HITCH ON MY WING, BRINGING IT HOME A FRIEND (RCMP) ADVISED ME TO GET THE SAFETY CHAINS HOOKED UP PROPERLY. RIVCO HITCHES DON'T HAVE A SPOT TO JUST HOOKA SET OF CHAINS TO. WHAT DO MOST OF THE REST OF YOU DO?. THIS IS A REQUIREMENT IN MOST STATES AND ALL OF CANADA..
I'M PUZZLED AS TO WHAT TO DO....:cry:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well, my Rivco has two holes in the bottom of the plate where the draw bar goes to hook chains to. You have to lay down and look under rear fender to see them. The hooks on the trailer's safety chains fit in them, snug but they do fit. I usually cross the chains a couple of times before I hook up.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS, I FOUND THEM AND THEY WORK. I ALSO ALWAYS CROSS MY CHAINS FOR SAFETY.
THANKS AGAIN:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Crossing the chains is a great idea IF you have the chains bolted on opposite sides of the tongue. Most small trailers that I've seen have the chains going to a single point on the trailer, and crossing them does virtually nothing besides twisting them together.
I am planning on bolting the chains on either side of the tongue just because of this problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Crossing the chains is a great idea IF you have the chains bolted on opposite sides of the tongue. Most small trailers that I've seen have the chains going to a single point on the trailer, and crossing them does virtually nothing besides twisting them together.
I am planning on bolting the chains on either side of the tongue just because of this problem.
That is correct. I have mine bolted on both sides of the tongue.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
Make sure the chains are short enough. If the tongue comes loose you don't want it to hit the ground. On my trailer i have to twist the chains a couple of times so that they are short enough to carry the tongue if it comes disconnected!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I will go out on a limb and put my flame suit on.

If for some reason a trailer comes off the ball, I want it no where near me on the bike, truck, or car.

Get rid of the chains and let it go into the ditch v/s taking you with it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I will go out on a limb and put my flame suit on.

If for some reason a trailer comes off the ball, I want it no where near me on the bike, truck, or car.

Get rid of the chains and let it go into the ditch v/s taking you with it.
Any idea on how you're gonna 'splain that to the cop that's writing you a ticket for no chains? I know, get those plastic links, and paint them silver. That'll do it :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Well I have towed well over 200K miles in the last 15 years with no chains on any bumper pull, or fiver set-up. Been through many DOT stops as well.

All else fails the chains ground through officer. Never heard it with the stereo on.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Your trailer is YOUR responsibility. My trailer is mine. I don't know how you propose to train your loose trailer to go into the ditch instead of across the center line into the oncoming traffic. Fact is, if your trailer comes loose, you have no control whatsoever where it goes or what it may strike. I'm sorry, but I find your decision about this to be inconsiderate of others and unacceptable. I sincerely hope no one else's trailer gets loose and finds it's way into your path of travel someday!

·
Registered
610 Posts
When we had our wreck a few weeks ago ( another bike liked the center of our lane better in the curve ) the trailer came forward with enough force to bend the hitch so that the ball was facing the rear of the bike. :eek:4: When it bounced back it stopped at the end of the chains, just as if we had parked it there. If it had kept going backwards it would have found the next rider coming around the curve. Never leave home without the chains...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was following a friend who was pulling a trailer behind his 1200 Goldwing. We were doing about 60 MPH. I thought he kicked up a rock or something as I watched it just miss my head by a foot or so. I later learned it was the nut holding his trailer ball on. A few seconds later and his trailer came loose. Fortunately, he was chained to it and came to a safe stop. The Goldwing is heavy enough to withstand a loose trailer. If he hadn't been chained, I might not be here to write about it. BTW, cops will stand on chains looking for your plastic links. If it breaks, it's like you never had them on in the first place. Be safe, chain your trailers.

·
Banned
1,247 Posts
I know what it is like to lose a trailer! it is not a pleasant feeling watching a trailer go thru the windshield of a car full of kids!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Recently in our area there was a trailer that came unhitched from a 4 wheeler, no safety chains, crossed the center line, hit the oncoming car head on. The driver of the on coming vehicle was killed, the passenger critically injured. The Highway Patrol at the scene said safety chans are required, and they are requied to be crossed. The driver is now facing charges of leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, motor vehicular homicide. Is it worth it to you not to hook up the chains ???, to me, I always hook up my chains and cross them. Only you can answer that!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts