GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While accelerating through a left sweeper, DO NOT put your toes under the shifter. I was going to grab another gear and didn't realize I was leaned that far. No permanent damage but it did scare me good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glad you came out of that ok. Always good to remember the little things as they are usually the ones that come back to bite ya.

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
WHERE IN FLORIDA WERE YOU THAT YOU HAD TO LEAN THAT FAR ??:shrug: ;) ANOTHER IS PUSHING BIKE BACKWARDS WITH REAR FOOTRESTS DOWN AND ROLLS UP BACK OF LEG ..LITTLE THINGS THAT KEEP YOU ON YOUR TOES ! ( OR SHORTS IN A WAD ):bow:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Been there, done that. Also got caught in a sweeper with my feet up on my hi way pegs. Knocked my right foot off the peg and found out I can't paddle anywhere close to the 30 or 40 mph I was going at the time.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
About a year ago, I pulled out of a parking lot and turned so sharp my foot got caught and about ripped it off.. I stopped and could not put my foot down.. I thought I broke my foot / ankle. When I got home my ankle was all swelled up and the toe of my shoe was torn open.. I learned the hard way..
My foot is always on the TOP of foot pegs on every turn now.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Been there.... will get your attention and sure grounds off a nice bit of ya boot! hahahah

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Been there.... will get your attention and sure grounds off a nice bit of ya boot! hahahah
You betcha!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yep. It taught me to be in the gear of choice before getting to that lean point. :oops:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
About a year ago, I pulled out of a parking lot and turned so sharp my foot got caught and about ripped it off.. I stopped and could not put my foot down.. I thought I broke my foot / ankle. When I got home my ankle was all swelled up and the toe of my shoe was torn open.. I learned the hard way..
My foot is always on the TOP of foot pegs on every turn now.....
Done that also Ouch!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just put your toes on the pegs like the sportbike riders.
Works for me in the twisties
Second nature when cornering at speed

Just my opinion---Others will differ I'm sure

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Rob,
Next RTE, sit on my bike.
I've raised the shifter over an inch.

Dennis

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Rob,
Next RTE, sit on my bike.
I've raised the shifter over an inch.

Dennis
Dennis, you are killing with the cannabis effort! If, I could retire, we'd have a green-house and retire as neighbors.........

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Dennis, you are killing with the cannabis effort! If, I could retire, we'd have a green-house and retire as neighbors.........
I hear ya bro, I do hear ya.
:bow::bow::bow:

Many Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hmmm

While accelerating through a left sweeper, DO NOT put your toes under the shifter. I was going to grab another gear and didn't realize I was leaned that far. No permanent damage but it did scare me good.
Hmmm... never had that happen on my bikes (except the Harley) wonder why.....:shrug: :wrong:

·
Registered
112 Posts
We Even Have Steep Road Warnings

WHERE IN FLORIDA WERE YOU THAT YOU HAD TO LEAN THAT FAR ??:shrug: ;) ANOTHER IS PUSHING BIKE BACKWARDS WITH REAR FOOTRESTS DOWN AND ROLLS UP BACK OF LEG ..LITTLE THINGS THAT KEEP YOU ON YOUR TOES ! ( OR SHORTS IN A WAD ):bow:
I used to drag my boots on the pavement (like curb feelers) to know when I was close to the edge. Try not to do that anymore; the edge has changed. We have sweepers and multiple "S" curves here that will put you in the pine trees if you are not paying attention. I was surprised to find a steep road warning on our ride Saturday.:doorag:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Oh yeah. Had that happen, and the scary part is it caused a real "knee-jerk" reaction, and that made me up shift without the clutch while leaning heavily.... and all of a sudden I'm going too slow.... trying to recover from the sudden shift. :eek:4: Yikes!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm frequently dragging my left highway boards (Kuryakyn) and occasionally I make the up-shifting while turning mistake and I have felt my left foot pinned between the ground and the shifter. However it is very rare for me to drag anything on the right side. I think what causes this is that we have high road crowns in this state.

The good news is that the Kuryakyn boards fold up and it causes very little damage. BTW, I have my boards mounted correctly (end of the arm higher than where it connects to the engine guard and the offset forcing the end inward).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts