GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

There's been a recent communication from Honda regarding the sales of the 2018 in France. They say that from January to mid November 2018 they sold up to 1012 copies of the new 1800. Reminder : the previous record lasted in 1997 with 1008 of the... GL1500 !

Another information given is that 80 % of the sales are DCT models.

The communication concludes saying that France has become the 2nd worlwide market, 1st is the US, 3rd rank is now Canada.

My analysis is also that sales in Canada have really gone very low compared to the previous model of the Goldwing. I wonder if you share my opinion and if any of you would have sales information regarding the amount of 2018 model sold in the States and Canada ?

Cheers.

Buff

·
Registered
440 Posts
The sales numbers in France are boosted by the use of GL1800 as moto taxi. In the major French cities the motorcycle is used as alternative to car taxi to get quicker through trafic. This type of transport has picked up really in the last decade and the GoldWing is by far the preferred bike to be used as Moto Taxi.

I understood from a Honda dealer that some European countries had delivery delays on the new GoldWing as Honda France had be given priority by Honda Europe as for instance one Taxi company ordered more then 100 of the new GoldWing.

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hi guys.

There's been a recent communication from Honda regarding the sales of the 2018 in France. They say that from January to mid November 2018 they sold up to 1012
Well they must be hiding them somewhere! We spent a month touring France, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Belgium, but mostly France, during October and November and didn't see a single one, anywhere!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I expect to see them in the LEO fleets in the next few years in the states. ...... my crystal ball view of the world.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts
Snowbirds from Canada will stop by and talk. I suspect Canada's economy is not that great. If that's true, it might greatly affect 6th gen sales up there.

I wonder how sales in the USA are, and if they are above or below expectations ???

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
France is preparing for Tour de France. Y'll see lots of motorcycles in the fray. I always thought it unfair to allow motorcycles compete against them skimpy peddle bikes..... lol

prs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Article in French 2013 -

""alors que les moto taxi représentent plus de 25% des ventes de Goldwing (soit environ 200 à 300 motos par an sur la seule activité de moto taxi) en France""

Translated says that in 2013 more than 25% of GL of sales in France were for Moto-Taxi. That would explain the high sales. And mostly around Paris.

I spent 3 weeks in Spain in Sep-Oct this year and saw only 1 GL on the Autovia.

For additional info, currently in Germany -
Who is the GWFD e.V.?
12,000 GoldWings, 80 clubs and an umbrella organization - that's the GoldWing scene in Germany

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Population of France is double that of Canada.

Might be a factor.
I doubt it, there's many countries more populated than the US or France. If population was a factor we wouldn't be number one and France wouldn't be number two. To be honest, I haven't seen but one in the wild here myself.

·
Vendor
17,822 Posts

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I doubt it, there's many countries more populated than the US or France. If population was a factor we wouldn't be number one and France wouldn't be number two. To be honest, I haven't seen but one in the wild here myself.

US is the 3rd most populated country in the world, after China and India.

1 China 1,415,000,000
2 India 1,355,000,000
3 USA 327,000,000
22 France 65,000,000 (1/5th the pop of the US)
38 Canada 37,000,000 (approx 1/2 France, 1/10th the USA)

And for comparison
California is approx 39 or 40,000,000
Slightly more than Canada.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
US is the 3rd most populated country in the world, after China and India.

1 China 1,415,000,000
2 India 1,355,000,000
3 USA 327,000,000
22 France 65,000,000 (1/5th the pop of the US)
38 Canada 37,000,000 (approx 1/2 France, 1/10th the USA)

And for comparison
California is approx 39 or 40,000,000
Slightly more than Canada.

Yeah, I was more thinking about France when I made that comment. By that logic we should be third in sales, and instead of France being 2nd, there should be 21 other countries selling more Goldwings than them. I'm just saying that population is not the determining factor. Despite the US being the third most populous country, we are the tenth largest motorcycle market for a point of reference.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
In Victoria BC, 2 Honda dealers, lucky if they sold 1 per year over the past few years....they have sold at least 8 of the 2018 model

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has also a lot to do with how long in the year you can ride.

In the cold provinces and states, we are lucky if we get 7 months in the year of Florida, California, Arizona riding weather.

In the province of Quebec, Canada (by the way France is the size of Quebec), other than GWRRA (that seems to be not too active, looking at their FB and website) we have 1 official francophone Goldwing club located in Montreal, covering the province, and it had in 2018, 225 members with GLs.

I belong to this Goldwing club and another one (in my area - 2018 with 86 members) that has about 8-9 GLs, but with a mix of HD and lots of dual purpose and other brands.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Article in French 2013 -

""alors que les moto taxi représentent plus de 25% des ventes de Goldwing (soit environ 200 à 300 motos par an sur la seule activité de moto taxi) en France""

Translated says that in 2013 more than 25% of GL of sales in France were for Moto-Taxi. That would explain the high sales. And mostly around Paris.

I spent 3 weeks in Spain in Sep-Oct this year and saw only 1 GL on the Autovia.

For additional info, currently in Germany -
Who is the GWFD e.V.?
12,000 GoldWings, 80 clubs and an umbrella organization - that's the GoldWing scene in Germany
GWFD e.V. means GoldWing Federation Germany listed organisation. This is an umbrella organisation of regional GoldWing Clubs in Germany where overall membership of associated regional clubs is around 12000. This would be for all type of GoldWings and Valkyrie/F6 (1975-2018 models) in their membership.

For reference, Honda Germany imported this year 400 GL1800's of the new model and not all have been sold yet (approx. 300 are sold and others are still at dealer or for sale as ex demo model). In my home country the Netherlands only 38 where registred this year of the new model, but in the last years of the previous generation GoldWing this was around 10 per year due to high taxes in our country on vehicles. For reference, my 2018 DCT/Airbag cost 43K Euro including taxes and this is approx. 50K$ US. However a lot of GoldWings are imported used from other European countries or US to the Netherlands when the additional luxury taks and value added tax is lower on used vehicles.

The Moto Taxi has taken off in France, unlike similar Moto Taxi services in UK, Germany and Netherlands where Taxi on a motorcycle never got real feet on the ground as in France. So other European countries GoldWing sales numbers do not get the boost from Moto Taxi like in France. The preference of Moto Taxi drivers and passengers for GoldWings is obviously also a good free publicity for Honda France to sell GoldWings to the general French public.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In France, although taxi moto market really had a huge impact of GW sales previously to the launch of the new model, I truly think it is no longer right. Main reason is that 2 flip helmets no longer fit in the 2018 GW due to the volume storage which is ridiculous now...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts