GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I bet it will severly hurt internet sales when that does happen.. our government wants every nickel... so they can give it away to other countries..

cosmic

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
They always feel like they should get another little piece anywhere they can don't they? Man.....why don't they just go fix a road or sumum.....I'm already overtaxed as it is!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I bet it will severly hurt internet sales when that does happen.. our government wants every nickel... so they can give it away to other countries..

cosmic
How does a state government give money to another country?

·
Registered
624 Posts
highvoltage said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
Ask California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas. :D

·
Registered
525 Posts
Internet sales are really nothing new in principle. In essence it is no different than the old Sears or J.C. Penney catalog sales. It is just bigger, has a far lower barrier to entry and a very efficient search engine.

I am amazed that it has remained free of sales tax this long. The main barrier has been the argument against the complexity of potentially having file sales tax returns with 50 states. For the merchant the absence of sales tax tends to offset the shipping cost. I buy more things over the internet than I buy in stores, however, they are not all free of sales tax. I shop with California merchants as well as those out of state. I will confess that on bigger ticket items I will tend to seek an out of state source, but when the internet sales tax occurs I don't believe it will kill the sales. It will cause some to make adjustments to be sure, but internet sales will continue to grow.

My bet is that there will be some form of federally administered coop, or better, (not) a Federal sales tax from which the Feds will kick back a share as grants to the states after taking an ample helping for themselves.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
aaaah, if there is a way for the government to remove money from our wallets, they will find away.

Time to win the lottery and go buy an island some where in the Caribbean and disappear :roll:

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
luckyman said:
highvoltage said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
The state gives money to illegal Mexicans on welfare ( funded by state tax payers ) and they send it to their families in Mexico. That's how the state sends money to other countries.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Okay, flame away, but I have always thought there sould be a sales
tax when buying either out of state, or online. If you bought the item
down the street, you'd pay, so why would it not be fair online? Hey,
we got to tax the illegals somehow. It sure ain't coming out of their
paychecks. They claim married & 6 dependents even if they are
single & 19 years old. What a country! :lol:

Herb

·
Registered
525 Posts
WNGNUT said:
gpick said:
For the merchant the absence of sales tax tends to offset the shipping cost.
How's that?
What I meant was if I buy something in a local store I will pay sales tax of approx. 8%. If I buy the item on the web out of state I will not pay sales tax but I will have to pay shipping. On smaller, more expensive items the sales tax is as much or more than the shipping cost. The lack of tax offsets the added expense thus helping the online merchant to be competitive.

The opposite is true of large, heavy and relatively inexpensive per pound items like motorcycle jacks. If you bought a Sears jack it is cheaper to order it and pick it up locally than ship it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
But if I am selling an item on ebay (one private citizen to another), how can that be taxed?

·
Registered
158 Posts
ElBando said:
luckyman said:
highvoltage said:
cosmic_chariot said:

cosmic
The state gives money to illegal Mexicans on welfare ( funded by state tax payers ) and they send it to their families in Mexico. That's how the state sends money to other countries.
Never thought of that. I live in NH, so don't have a sales tax or a border with Mexico.

·
Registered
73 Posts
gpick
I don't understand what you mean about being tax free. My partner and I have an internet business and do business in 50 states and 30 foreign countries. We DO pay state taxes for the state in which we live. We have to file and pay sales tax on any sale to a customer from within Minnesota where we are based. That is exactly the same as any brick and mortar business does. When an out-of-state customer buys something from a brick and mortar store here in Minnesota, the store doesn't have to collect sales tax for the state in which the customer lives. Why should we do so because we're an internet business. We sure don't mind collecting and paying state sales taxes on sales to our local customers and we don't mind paying our state income tax, but I sure don't want to have to collect sales taxes for all the other states. No local brick and mortar does so and we shoudn't have to do so either.
Kevin

·
Registered
887 Posts
You should check your local state tax laws. I don't know about every state, but several states, require the consumer to pay consumer use tax on an item they buy out of state tax free.

If you live in Iowa and buy an item on the internet or through a mail order catalog, Iowa state law requires you to report it to the Department of Revenue and pay the Iowa state sales tax on the purchase. If you do this on a regular basis, you are required to have a Comsumer Use Tax Permit. For my business, I have a Retail Sales Tax Permit and a Comsumer Use Tax Permit. If I buy something from one of my suppliers, (tax free) and then decide to use it for myself, I report it and pay the tax when I send in the other sales tax dollars I have collected. (I am always honest to the state!! :wink: )

Hard or impossible to enforce?? Yes....but it is the law in most states.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I guess it all depends on the state you live in BUT in PA there is a use tax (sales tax on products you use but didn't pay at time of receipt) and that is suppose to be declared on the state income tax form at the end of the year.

Since "we" enjoy the purchases on the internet and not having to pay taxes - doesn't mean that you aren't expected to pay IF your state has such a declaration in the law.

Since "we" also have apparently NOT been making those declarations, tax preparers have not been INFORMING tax payers, and the state KNOWS there are internet purchases being made and depressing the tax revenue - I don't see another way of procuring the LEGAL revenue.

Remember those taxes not only pay the Governor - but police, firefighters, highway maintaince, and a portion to education and yes even the illegal aliens "right" to medical care.

just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,011 Posts
Here in Delaware we don't have any sales tax and our property taxes are low too, they just take it out of our paycheck every week. :)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The state of MN started tracking furniture coming into the state off the bill of lading at the weight stops at the border a few years back. They were sending tax bills out if delivery was a residential address (800 or internet sale).
I have not heard anything on this for a while now so I'm not sure if they are still doing it or not???
JU

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Government can't stand anything they can't control!

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Dan18960 said:
I don't see another way of procuring the LEGAL revenue.
If they required you to put your wife out on the street three times a week for taxes, it would be, "Legal".
BUT THAT DOESN"T MAKE IT RIGHT!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts