GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent many hours reading posts about all sorts of suspension mods and still need convincing. I think I have thought of a comparison that every guy/ girl worth their salt, can relate too. When you do a complete suspension upgrade with a Monty or Mega Monty or with competitors full forks and spring, does it make the Gl1800 feel as great as it feels when you go from crappy old tires on your ride to brand new ones? I love the new ride feeling when I put new tires on anything I own. Well???? ?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Much better IMHO! The Traxxion triple tree alone will shock you.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I "upgraded" to Progressive springs and monotubes on my '06, but only because of repeated issues with the left front fork seal. I haven't noticed any difference in the ride, but I also always ride solo and weigh less than 200 lbs. Maybe if you are carrying more weight a suspension upgrade will make a noticeable difference. The more money you spend, the better the improvement will feel. :wink2:.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Noticeable upgrade when I switched to Progressive mono tubes and Progressive rear spring. I changed over when the original suspension had sacked out, so my comparison was to a suspension that had been deteriorating for a few years. I don't know how much better it would have been if I changed out a new suspension, But huge improvement.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The best measure of a suspension improvement is speed. If you find yourself unconsciously riding at faster speeds than before, then this is the best indication that you have indeed improved the suspension and ride.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Sounds like, if only one OEM component could be replaced in the suspension, it should be triple tree, with the Traxion version to include their all balls bearings. Everything else could be done later, one end at a time if need be. If my suspension ever wears out, I will likely upgrade, but definitely do not want it any more firm than it already is. However, at 55,000 miles now, it is still more than adequate for me.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed. True for me. Running a modified FZ1 Yamaha. Went from stock Bridgestone to Dunlop Qualifiers. Went up about 20mph in the corners. Thanks to all who responded. I know it is a redundant thread for many on here, but to me , if it is not a big difference the $3500 could be another bike,boat, car, 4 wheeler in my toy collection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Speed. True for me. Running a modified FZ1 Yamaha. Went from stock Bridgestone to Dunlop Qualifiers. Went up about 20mph in the corners. Thanks to all who responded. I know it is a redundant thread for many on here, but to me , if it is not a big difference the $3500 could be another bike,boat, car, 4 wheeler in my toy collection.
The upgrade is a definate improvement, whether it is worth $3500, as you say, is an individual decision. But if you have a modified FZ1, then enjoy that bike, for the days you feel like racing around the countryside, or for track days. Upgrading the Gl1800, does make a good machine even better, but it will never compete with your modified FZ1. So, add another toy!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Looks like the OP likes to dial it up so a improved suspension is a safety item :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts